Amateur referees poor knowledge of The Laws Of The Game

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Amateur referees poor knowledge of The Laws Of The Game

Post by penalty »

Can't believe how poor the knowledge of The Laws Of The Game that Amature Referees have.
I am not complaining on interpretation as that is of the opinion of the referee. What I am concerned is the mistakes on point of Law.
For example.
1/ Ball has gone out for a goal kick. During stoppage of play a defending player argues withe the referee. Referee correctly cautions the player for descent, he then awards a direct free kick outside the penalty box. Play should have restarted with a goal kick. That is very poor, from a senior referee. Even the crowd knew it should have been a goal kick. If play was stopped to caution the player for descent, it is restarted with a indirect free kick.

2/ free kick inside the defending teams penalty area, defending player takes the free kick and plays it to a team mate inside the penalty area without ball leaving the area. Play was allowed to continue. Official linesman and referee failed to identify it.
All restarts of play inside the penalty area by the defending team, the ball must leave the penalty area before it can be played by another player (ball is not in play until it leaves the area).

It's getting frustrating watching games and seeing the amount of errors in law. What type of coaching are these referees getting and are they assessed on a yearly basis on the Laws of The Game.

Bodø Glimt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Amateur referees poor knowledge of The Laws Of The Game

Post by Bodø Glimt »

Interesting you should bring this up as the referee in the B's at Stirling made some bizarre decisions. He allowed one player to take two touches on a corner which he I guess may not have seen, but the one that can't be excused is blowing the whistle for a free kick then yelling play on when he sees the player get the ball.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

My big concern that it is being made by senior referees.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

we had one today, who gave a goal after the ball had gone out for a goal kick, he checked with the linesmen, gave a goal kick, his team shouted at him and he gave a goal... he was very poor all over to be fair, but wasnt a senior referee.

as for senior referees i see them stopping play all the time and awarding free kicks instead of drop balls, dont think they know all the rules

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Referees are human, they make mistakes. When we play we don't do everything perfectly.

Even outside of the game we make mistakes, like saying that someone was booked for descent.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

A wise man once said to me - if you want a better ref, be a better footballer.

What reasons are these senior refs stopping play and giving a free kick incorrectly?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^
God is an Englishman

Even outside of the game we make mistakes, like saying that someone was booked for descent.

maybe he was a Greek parachutist called Con
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

Gristy wrote:as for senior referees i see them stopping play all the time and awarding free kicks instead of drop balls, dont think they know all the rules
If he stops play to book a player then restarting with an indirect free kick to the apposing player is the correct decision. Drop balls... how often do you see both teams contest them these days.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Spoiler Alert wrote:
Gristy wrote:as for senior referees i see them stopping play all the time and awarding free kicks instead of drop balls, dont think they know all the rules
If he stops play to book a player then restarting with an indirect free kick to the apposing player is the correct decision. Drop balls... how often do you see both teams contest them these days.
yes it is, sorry i mean if he stops play for a injury.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Gristy wrote:
Spoiler Alert wrote:

I struggle to believe that a ref (at any level) is stopping play just for an injury and then restarting with a free kick. Are you sure he didn't stop for the foul that led to the injury?

If not, must remember that one. I'll injur my hamstring in the last minute in the box to get a penalty. I'm now picturing all 22 players going down injured at the same time for the free kick.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

ote="God is an Englishman"]
Gristy wrote:
Spoiler Alert wrote:

I struggle to believe that a ref (at any level) is stopping play just for an injury and then restarting with a free kick. Are you sure he didn't stop for the foul that led to the injury?

If not, must remember that one. I'll injur my hamstring in the last minute in the box to get a penalty. I'm now picturing all 22 players going down injured at the same time for the free kick.[/quote]

yeah seems to happen quite a bit this season, player will go down ref will carry on and then eventually with people shouting at him stop play and give free kick where the player is down, real weird.

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

I particularly like when the ball goes out for a goal kick / throw in and the player/ goalie go get the ball ( sometimes takes quite some time to go get it) only for the ref as soon as the kick or throw us taken blows for half or full time ! Not sure if that's a law or not but fk it's seriously annoying

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

God is an Englishman wrote:A wise man once said to me - if you want a better ref, be a better footballer.
Love this.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

penalty wrote:Can't believe how poor the knowledge of The Laws Of The Game that Amature Referees have.
I am not complaining on interpretation as that is of the opinion of the referee. What I am concerned is the mistakes on point of Law.
For example.
1/ Ball has gone out for a goal kick. During stoppage of play a defending player argues withe the referee. Referee correctly cautions the player for descent, he then awards a direct free kick outside the penalty box. Play should have restarted with a goal kick. That is very poor, from a senior referee. Even the crowd knew it should have been a goal kick. If play was stopped to caution the player for descent, it is restarted with a indirect free kick.

2/ free kick inside the defending teams penalty area, defending player takes the free kick and plays it to a team mate inside the penalty area without ball leaving the area. Play was allowed to continue. Official linesman and referee failed to identify it.
All restarts of play inside the penalty area by the defending team, the ball must leave the penalty area before it can be played by another player (ball is not in play until it leaves the area).

It's getting frustrating watching games and seeing the amount of errors in law. What type of coaching are these referees getting and are they assessed on a yearly basis on the Laws of The Game.
I will have to check my referee handbook on the 2nd point you have mentioned. I'm no professional but in the scenario you have explained above I would have done the same. I will check it out for personal knowledge. Looks like I will learn something today.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

absolutely appalled wrote:I particularly like when the ball goes out for a goal kick / throw in and the player/ goalie go get the ball ( sometimes takes quite some time to go get it) only for the ref as soon as the kick or throw us taken blows for half or full time ! Not sure if that's a law or not but fk it's seriously annoying
Another point I have to read up on. Grey area this one. Most refs do what you have mentioned. The there are other scenarios where it goes out for a corner and the ref might end the game. This is also very frustrating if the attacking team is chasing a result.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Had a bit of a head scratching day today..
I had a Reserve referee come up to me at half time and tell me..."I don't want you to be the Ground Marshall anymore."
When I asked why not ?
His reply (verbatim) was "No reason"

Also had an opposition player, who already had received a yellow card, whilst he was lying on the ground, deliberately grab and pull the ball away from one of our players feet.
When asked by our coach why he didn't receive a yellow card for deliberate handball....the referee's answer was "because he didn't want to give him a card."

Oh well, as they say in the classics.."It is what it is!"
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

absolutely appalled wrote:I particularly like when the ball goes out for a goal kick / throw in and the player/ goalie go get the ball ( sometimes takes quite some time to go get it) only for the ref as soon as the kick or throw us taken blows for half or full time ! Not sure if that's a law or not but fk it's seriously annoying
Sometimes can't be helped in a B/C game when the referee for the next game insists the game to be over by a certain time.

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

POLONIAROCS wrote:The there are other scenarios where it goes out for a corner and the ref might end the game. This is also very frustrating if the attacking team is chasing a result.
This happens in professional leagues too. Time is time, regardless of where the ball is, and referees don't stop the clock because the ball has gone out of play.

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

swannsong wrote:Had a bit of a head scratching day today..
I had a Reserve referee come up to me at half time and tell me..."I don't want you to be the Ground Marshall anymore."
When I asked why not ?
That's a weird one. Did you say "stiff chedder"?

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Spoiler Alert wrote:
Sometimes can't be helped in a B/C game when the referee for the next game insists the game to be over by a certain time.
It can be helped he can blow the whistle before the player/ goalie treks that 10 to 50 metres to get the ball! the ref can see how far the ball has gone surely they can just blow the whistle if they are planning on doing it as soon as they friggen get back!!!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

When I asked why not ?

Also had an opposition player, who already had received a yellow card, whilst he was lying on the ground, deliberately grab and pull the ball away from one of our players feet.
When asked by our coach why he didn't receive a yellow card for deliberate handball....the referee's answer was "because he didn't want to give him a card."

Obviously didn't see it but remember handball is not always a bookable offence.

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

absolutely appalled wrote:It can be helped he can blow the whistle before the player/ goalie treks that 10 to 50 metres to get the ball! the ref can see how far the ball has gone surely they can just blow the whistle if they are planning on doing it as soon as they friggen get back!!!!
Then you'd be whingeing he blew the whistle early.

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

God is an Englishman wrote:
When I asked why not ?

If he didn't see it surely he would have responded with "I didn't see it" and not "didn't want to give him a card".

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Spoiler Alert wrote:
When I asked why not ?

If he didn't see it surely he would have responded with "I didn't see it" and not "didn't want to give him a card".

I meant, I didn't see it.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

When I asked why not ?

Was a case of the player reaching out with both hands and dragging the ball away from our player's feet as he was about to run off with the ball...seemed pretty deliberate to me and the referee did award a free kick....even the referee agreed that a deliberate handball should normally result in a yellow....said player was also immediately substituted by his coach.

Them's the breaks...
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Spoiler Alert wrote:
absolutely appalled wrote:It can be helped he can blow the whistle before the player/ goalie treks that 10 to 50 metres to get the ball! the ref can see how far the ball has gone surely they can just blow the whistle if they are planning on doing it as soon as they friggen get back!!!!
Then you'd be whingeing he blew the whistle early.
???? Why would I whinge if they blew the whistle before someone laboured to get the ball for no reason? It's not like they are cutting the actual game short? And obviously you haven't seen what physical condition I'm in lol I encourage any shortening of the game at any time!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:
When I asked why not ?

Was a case of the player reaching out with both hands and dragging the ball away from our player's feet as he was about to run off with the ball...seemed pretty deliberate to me and the referee did award a free kick....even the referee agreed that a deliberate handball should normally result in a yellow....said player was also immediately substituted by his coach.

Them's the breaks...
From your description it sounds like a yellow but as I said, I didn't see it. Just making the point that hand ball is not always a yellow.

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

swannsong wrote:
When I asked why not ?

Them's the breaks...
Sounds like a smart coach :lol:
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Did you play the Adelaide crows today fowler 23 ??? They complain about the officiating every time they lose also ...

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

When I asked why not ?

We've had that referee before, you lose him when you disrespect him. Taking the piss out of him at half time, and having your players and supporters scream at him was never going to go well for you guys. Game was over by half time anyway.