Adelaide Budapest

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Adelaide Budapest

Post by spooky1972 »

Sacred Noodle wrote:
spooky1972 wrote:clubs are what they make of it and clubs are what their players make it, no help and clubs die, but if a club doesn't help or attract the players they can't get the help they need to grow and survive. Fees can help or hinder, for example I know a club who offers $250 playing fees, sounds cheap but all the players get are shorts and socks. However another club offers fees for $350 and players get a full tracksuit, training jacket, bag, beanie, shorts, socks, and a club event ticket. As a new player to a club and having no solid connection to the club I know which offer I want for my $$$$ and many players look at this stuff when joining new clubs and those new players are the future, without them you slowly die. Get the players in, then grow a culture that makes them stay, don't chase them away before they learn to love the emblem on their shirt. Budapest suffered this very issue, and eventually the players they had were just the guys that had been there many years, no new influx and no reason for them to stay if they did come, after a while you're only left with the few loyal guys who are burnt out from many prior years of doing it all.
TBH I can't argue or deny this re us at Budapest .. $250 doesn't sound cheap for plying amateurs though..

depends on what you get for the money is my point. Some clubs have different ways to get the $250, I've seen clubs offer $100 fees then they sell you shorts for $25, sell you socks for $15. Then some say you need two pairs for the clash strip, then they say all players must have a polo and charge you another $50 before you know it you're over $250, I'd rather my club give me a full package nothing else to buy for one cost, and a package worth the $$$ they ask. Any club offering fees below $200 is making a loss (unless they have a huge club base) after they register/insure/and pay running costs, refs elec, lease, equip, etc etc, running a club isn't free. Its alot easier when you have juniors or a club selling meals drinks 7 days a week, if not a clubs main income are fees, so make them worth while and the players will pay.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

spooky1972 wrote:
Sacred Noodle wrote:
spooky1972 wrote:clubs are what they make of it and clubs are what their players make it, no help and clubs die, but if a club doesn't help or attract the players they can't get the help they need to grow and survive. Fees can help or hinder, for example I know a club who offers $250 playing fees, sounds cheap but all the players get are shorts and socks. However another club offers fees for $350 and players get a full tracksuit, training jacket, bag, beanie, shorts, socks, and a club event ticket. As a new player to a club and having no solid connection to the club I know which offer I want for my $$$$ and many players look at this stuff when joining new clubs and those new players are the future, without them you slowly die. Get the players in, then grow a culture that makes them stay, don't chase them away before they learn to love the emblem on their shirt. Budapest suffered this very issue, and eventually the players they had were just the guys that had been there many years, no new influx and no reason for them to stay if they did come, after a while you're only left with the few loyal guys who are burnt out from many prior years of doing it all.
TBH I can't argue or deny this re us at Budapest .. $250 doesn't sound cheap for plying amateurs though..

depends on what you get for the money is my point. Some clubs have different ways to get the $250, I've seen clubs offer $100 fees then they sell you shorts for $25, sell you socks for $15. Then some say you need two pairs for the clash strip, then they say all players must have a polo and charge you another $50 before you know it you're over $250, I'd rather my club give me a full package nothing else to buy for one cost, and a package worth the $$$ they ask. Any club offering fees below $200 is making a loss (unless they have a huge club base) after they register/insure/and pay running costs, refs elec, lease, equip, etc etc, running a club isn't free. Its alot easier when you have juniors or a club selling meals drinks 7 days a week, if not a clubs main income are fees, so make them worth while and the players will pay.
How do you know they're making a loss.? Maybe they've got off their backsides and brought in sponsors.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

depends on what you get for the money is my point. Some clubs have different ways to get the $250, I've seen clubs offer $100 fees then they sell you shorts for $25, sell you socks for $15. Then some say you need two pairs for the clash strip, then they say all players must have a polo and charge you another $50 before you know it you're over $250, I'd rather my club give me a full package nothing else to buy for one cost, and a package worth the $$$ they ask. Any club offering fees below $200 is making a loss (unless they have a huge club base) after they register/insure/and pay running costs, refs elec, lease, equip, etc etc, running a club isn't free. Its alot easier when you have juniors or a club selling meals drinks 7 days a week, if not a clubs main income are fees, so make them worth while and the players will pay.[/quote]

How do you know they're making a loss.? Maybe they've got off their backsides and brought in sponsors.[/quote]

sure sponsors help but you can't survive just on sponsorship you need player support over the bar, canteen, at club events etc etc and a good package to bring players in to do that.
Last edited by spooky1972 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

spooky1972 wrote:sure sponsors help but you can't survive just on sponsorship you need player support over the bar, canteen, at club events etc etc and a good package to bring players in to do that.
This should really be about Budapest but "you can't just survive on sponsorship" - sounds like you need more sponsors then. Of course you can survive on sponsorship alone, the same as you can survive on player fees alone. You just need enough of them.

Fountains Of Wayne
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Fountains Of Wayne »

God is an Englishman wrote:This should really be about Budapest
Unlike you to suggest a thread should stay on topic.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Top Lop wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:This should really be about Budapest
Unlike you to suggest a thread should stay on topic.
A bit of respect PLUS fees at clubs surely deserves its own thread.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

well we got both so we are ok 4 teams of players and good sponsorship, but we do lack club rooms and game day sales so we need to make sure we offer players a good package regardless of price and keep sponsors coming in and happy

Fountains Of Wayne
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

God is an Englishman wrote:A bit of respect
How many of our threads have you hijacked?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Top Lop wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:A bit of respect
How many of our threads have you hijacked?
"your" threads?

Fountains Of Wayne
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

West Adelaide Hellas

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Top Lop wrote:West Adelaide Hellas
Who are they?

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Top Lop wrote:West Adelaide Hellas
Who are they?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fountains Of Wayne
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

1978 NSL champions

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Top Lop wrote:1978 NSL champions
Never heard of them, well before my time.

So anyway, good luck to the Budapest players.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Top Lop wrote:Unlike you to suggest a thread should stay on topic.
Top Lop wrote:I haven't logged on for some time
I just love this place :lol:
Time for some righteous indignation

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
Srbin wrote:Good old clubs are folding and are slowly being replaced by clubs that just seem to want a fight.

The Amateur league is in turmoil.

Oh wait hang on, the div 1 sides are fielding more teams so all is good.

Pretty soon it will be div 1 and not much else. That's ok because apparently that's all that counts
Division 1, 2 , 3, 4 etc. it's all the same, if there is no one around to do stuff...nothing happens....the bigger clubs usually have a bigger social side and can also afford bring in people to run things... ie bar managers. However, they still rely heavily on volunteers.
Bomber wrote:Still no reason why not Collegiate instead - unless past the nomination date.
How does changing allegiance alter the fact there aren't enough players to field teams or volunteers to help run a club !
Didn't the opening post say that were ok to field one side (and stay in a lower div) but SAASL "rules" didn't allow it?
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Bomber wrote:Still no reason why not Collegiate instead - unless past the nomination date.
How does changing allegiance alter the fact there aren't enough players to field teams or volunteers to help run a club !
Didn't the opening post say that were ok to field one side (and stay in a lower div) but SAASL "rules" didn't allow it?
More importantly it also said this... :)
Buda Veteran wrote:However all this has now become irrelevant as regrettably Adelaide Budapest has officially withdrawn from all forms of competition in 2016.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Straw that broke the camel's back though it seems
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:Straw that broke the camel's back though it seems
They could have stayed in with just one team, they were accepted into the league with just the one team.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Buda Veteran wrote:Just to set the record straight.....
The club never requested to be elevated to Division 3. This was a league decision against our requests.
Based on the fact that we thought we would not be able to field two teams the club specifically requested our demotion to either Division 5 or 6.
Why the league have done what they have done is any ones guess.
We certainly would not want to be participating at a level where we thought we wouldn't at least be competitive......however we have never asked for any preferential treatment from the league.
As soon as we were made aware of this the league was contacted but unfortunately our further requests fell on deaf ears and ignored.
Seems clear that requests were denied based on this. I know you cant make the rules as you go along, but seems like Budapest tried to seek a compromise but was fluffed off. Nevertheless, hope they come back one day, whichever league will take them.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
Buda Veteran wrote:Just to set the record straight.....
The club never requested to be elevated to Division 3. This was a league decision against our requests.
Based on the fact that we thought we would not be able to field two teams the club specifically requested our demotion to either Division 5 or 6.
Why the league have done what they have done is any ones guess.
We certainly would not want to be participating at a level where we thought we wouldn't at least be competitive......however we have never asked for any preferential treatment from the league.
As soon as we were made aware of this the league was contacted but unfortunately our further requests fell on deaf ears and ignored.
Seems clear that requests were denied based on this. I know you cant make the rules as you go along, but seems like Budapest tried to seek a compromise but was fluffed off. Nevertheless, hope they come back one day, whichever league will take them.
They were accepted into division 3 but without a reserves side

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by absolutely appalled »

Well done saasl- got 1.5 million but can't help out a club who have been around for 45 years . Teams folding and crossing to FFSA is going to be the norm now- the shambles that is the saasl really need to start re investing and run the comps properly. Or maybe the master plan is to be so useless that all the teams leave and the powers that be pocket the remaining funds???

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

absolutely appalled wrote:Well done saasl- got 1.5 million but can't help out a club who have been around for 45 years . Teams folding and crossing to FFSA is going to be the norm now- the shambles that is the saasl really need to start re investing and run the comps properly. Or maybe the master plan is to be so useless that all the teams leave and the powers that be pocket the remaining funds???
What should SAASL have done?

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

absolutely appalled wrote:Well done saasl- got 1.5 million but can't help out a club who have been around for 45 years . Teams folding and crossing to FFSA is going to be the norm now- the shambles that is the saasl really need to start re investing and run the comps properly. Or maybe the master plan is to be so useless that all the teams leave and the powers that be pocket the remaining funds???
- financially help them out ( afl has done it for clubs ) so players don't have to pay fees there to get them back up and running, club has been around for 45 years after all ...giving a little something back might be a nice touch?
- allow budapest to play in one of the lower divs as they requested
- advertise that the club needs players/sponsors on the all new and improved saasl website

But I'm sure they would rather bend over backwards for teams who play fake players, get into fights or once they eventually kick the team out let them re register under a different name! After all as long as teams pay the fees there's no problem

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The issue was about players not money.

Why should SAASL help one club at not all of them? sorry, but Budapes are a good club and sad to see them go but I don't pay my fees to support other clubs.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

absolutely appalled wrote:
- financially help them out ( afl has done it for clubs ) so players don't have to pay fees there to get them back up and running, club has been around for 45 years after all ...giving a little something back might be a nice touch?
- allow budapest to play in one of the lower divs as they requested
- advertise that the club needs players/sponsors on the all new and improved saasl website

But I'm sure they would rather bend over backwards for teams who play fake players, get into fights or once they eventually kick the team out let them re register under a different name! After all as long as teams pay the fees there's no problem
If you haven't got the players what is the point ?...I'm not sure how many times I have sent in electronic copies of registration forms and photos, have rushed down to the SAASL Headquarters to pay for (mostly out of my own pocket) to pick up registered player's cards only to sometimes get just one or two games out of them before they vanish....give players a free ride and they often take you for a ride.
Don't see the same sort of fuss about Fulham not being able to get a team up and running for the SAASL....
Budapest have a long history and it has tied in with the Hungarian community...unfortunately the founder committee and the older players can only do so much to keep their club going.
I've seen a lot of clubs disappear in my 40+ year involvement with the SAASL....and I'm sure there will be many more going by the trend of falling volunteer numbers.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

what is the actual number of teams out vs teams in, I see at least 4or5 new teams

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

spooky1972 wrote:

what is the actual number of teams out vs teams in, I see at least 4or5 new teams
In Sunday:
Northern Pitbulls (Sunday 4 x1)
Salisbury United x2
Para hills united x2
Ade Great Wall x3
andrews farm +2
westwood +1
maiwand +2
PHE +1
plympton +1
munno para +1
sa centrals +1
eliz grove +1

18 in

Out Sunday:
San Marco x2
Fulham x3
Aldinga x2
America Central x2
eastern elite x1
polonia x2
wa raptors x1

13 out

I am not as familiar with Saturday. this is from the top 4 divs as far as i can tell, i could of missed some?

Out Saturday:
comets x3
budapest x2
vipers x2
adel uni grey x2
cove x2
easterm elite x1

12 out

In Saturday:
MU Stars x2
Burundi Eagles x2

4 in

some of those may of had Cs ?

22 in, 25 out, roughly.

absolutely appalled
Apprentice
Apprentice

God is an Englishman wrote:The issue was about players not money.

Why should SAASL help one club at not all of them? sorry, but Budapes are a good club and sad to see them go but I don't pay my fees to support other clubs.
With 1.5mill they could help all the clubs for the next few decades... And should another well established long standing member of saasl need help they could be there to help them too. I understood the issue was players/ volunteers however if the club was in a position to waive fees a new generation could have come in kept Budapest alive. Long shot but still better then just letting them die off?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

absolutely appalled wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:The issue was about players not money.

With 1.5mill they could help all the clubs for the next few decades... And should another well established long standing member of saasl need help they could be there to help them too. I understood the issue was players/ volunteers however if the club was in a position to waive fees a new generation could have come in kept Budapest alive. Long shot but still better then just letting them die off?
In that case, my club is struggling can we have some money.