Adelaide Budapest

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Buda Veteran
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Adelaide Budapest

Post by Buda Veteran »

Just to set the record straight.....
The club never requested to be elevated to Division 3. This was a league decision against our requests.
Based on the fact that we thought we would not be able to field two teams the club specifically requested our demotion to either Division 5 or 6.
Why the league have done what they have done is any ones guess.
We certainly would not want to be participating at a level where we thought we wouldn't at least be competitive......however we have never asked for any preferential treatment from the league.
As soon as we were made aware of this the league was contacted but unfortunately our further requests fell on deaf ears and ignored.
However all this has now become irrelevant as regrettably Adelaide Budapest has officially withdrawn from all forms of competition in 2016.
No doubt this would make a lot of clubs happy.....
Unfortunately after over 4 x decades of service we have made a gut wrenching decision to close our doors :( :(
Obviously passion alone can not be relied upon to keep a club going!
Whether this once great club can rise from the 'Graveyard' in the future is yet to be seen......

We extend our thanks to all the other clubs we have come up against over the journey and for the memories created.

Until we meet again........

Dissapointment
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Adelaide Budapest

Post by Dissapointment »

No one ever WANTS to see a team with the history you guys have die off. Hopefully you can pick up the pieces and knock something together for next season (in an appropriate division). Good luck.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Don't thin any club would be happy re Budapest folding .. know one wants to see any established club fold..

There may be issues between players and clubs game day but outside of that all are friends and socialize with the same.

Budapest has a great history and a substantial trophy cabinet going back to the top flight era ... is a very sad day both for us and I would imagine all who have been involved in SAASL and preceding leagues.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Oh and as I mentioned in the Sat Div 3 thread:

On behalf of Budapest we are really sorry for any inconvenience to clubs associated with our withdrawal and the league itself so close to the season commencement .. we tried to hang in there but just couldn't.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Played against Budapest a few times and always enjoyed the battles. I didn't even get to experience the "cheating linesman/ref". If I was to write a list of clubs I would chuckle at them folding - budapest is certainly not one of them.

Hope those who want to continue playing, do so.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Ha ha thanks GIAE ..

Yeah old Pauly was/is pretty notorious re his ref work ... along with the standard beer one hand smoke the other and the flag tucked in under his arm while walking the line.

I remember a photo of him playing posted on FN a few years ago with the caption "is this the oldest player in the world" :D

Sean's
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sean's »

Really sorry to hear you guys have folded. At Strathalbyn we were in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I really hope you get the club going again in the future. Enjoyed our battles with you guys last year. Hopefully we can do battle again.
2011 - Saturday Division 4 Champions
2010 - Port Elliot Pre-season cup winners

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Sean's wrote:Really sorry to hear you guys have folded. At Strathalbyn we were in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I really hope you get the club going again in the future. Enjoyed our battles with you guys last year. Hopefully we can do battle again.
Thanks mate all the best ..is a nice trip to Strath and you were always a good bunch of guys ..

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

who could forget the away changerooms ( the school garden shed)

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Buda Veteran wrote:Just to set the record straight.....
The club never requested to be elevated to Division 3. This was a league decision against our requests.
Based on the fact that we thought we would not be able to field two teams the club specifically requested our demotion to either Division 5 or 6.
We certainly would not want to be participating at a level where we thought we wouldn't at least be competitive......however we have never asked for any preferential treatment from the league.
As soon as we were made aware of this the league was contacted but unfortunately our further requests fell on deaf ears and ignored.
However all this has now become irrelevant as regrettably Adelaide Budapest has officially withdrawn from all forms of competition in 2016.
Unfortunately after over 4 x decades of service we have made a gut wrenching decision to close our doors :( :(
Whether this once great club can rise from the 'Graveyard' in the future is yet to be seen......

We extend our thanks to all the other clubs we have come up against over the journey and for the memories created.

Collegiate League? :wink:
Ignore this signature

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

bloodypassit wrote:who could forget the away changerooms ( the school garden shed)
Cant believe the shed got a mention ahead of our Toilets! :wink:

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Bomber wrote:

The only way we would consider that if we had the signatures of you and GIAE as our potent attack duo ... :wink:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Sacred Noodle wrote:
Bomber wrote:

The only way we would consider that if we had the signatures of you and GIAE as our potent attack duo ... :wink:
Sorry mate, not ready to drop that low just yet. I'll stick with Div 9 SAASL.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

There is a div 9 in SAASL? May as well call it the bald and fat league. Oh hang on.........
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:There is a div 9 in SAASL? May as well call it the bald and fat league. Oh hang on.........
They try and make it a more polite Over 35's division, FFSA use the phrase masters for theirs.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Reall sad news, had some good tussles while at Vipers with you lads. Hope you guys can
Resume and regather after this season.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

It is sad news. My question is the following:

How can clubs like San Marco and Budapest just non exist in 2016? There has to be more to it then just saying this division won't suit us etc

I personally fear for many clubs. The next generation are not interested in taking on responsibility and putting in hours of volunteer work.

More and more clubs will shut down over the years.
Last edited by POLONIAROCS on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

POLONIAROCS wrote:It is sad news. My question is the following:

How can clubs like San Marco and Budapest just non exist in 2016? There has to me to it then just saying this division won't suit us etc

I personally fear for many clubs. The next generation are not interested in taking on responsibility and putting in hours of volunteer work.

This is too true...most (not all) players believe that the Club is there for them rather than they are there for the Club...
Bit like the old JFK adage... "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

swannsong wrote:

How can clubs like San Marco and Budapest just non exist in 2016? There has to me to it then just saying this division won't suit us etc

This is too true...most (not all) players believe that the Club is there for them rather than they are there for the Club...
Bit like the old JFK adage... "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

I like this. This is what needs to said into the ears of the current group. The problem is its one ear and out the other.

Sad times ahead for many clubs but that is the way it is.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

How can clubs like San Marco and Budapest just non exist in 2016? There has to be more to it then just saying this division won't suit us etc

Amen!!! age of entitlement coming right through now, the lefties have had their way with society and this is what happens, some people cannot see past their own nose to give a shite about putting in a bit for the greater good of a group/club/community etc
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Still no reason why not Collegiate instead - unless past the nomination date.
Ignore this signature

Srbin
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Srbin »

Good old clubs are folding and are slowly being replaced by clubs that just seem to want a fight.

The Amateur league is in turmoil.

Oh wait hang on, the div 1 sides are fielding more teams so all is good.

Pretty soon it will be div 1 and not much else. That's ok because apparently that's all that counts

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Srbin wrote:Good old clubs are folding and are slowly being replaced by clubs that just seem to want a fight.

The Amateur league is in turmoil.

Oh wait hang on, the div 1 sides are fielding more teams so all is good.

Pretty soon it will be div 1 and not much else. That's ok because apparently that's all that counts
Division 1, 2 , 3, 4 etc. it's all the same, if there is no one around to do stuff...nothing happens....the bigger clubs usually have a bigger social side and can also afford bring in people to run things... ie bar managers. However, they still rely heavily on volunteers.
Bomber wrote:Still no reason why not Collegiate instead - unless past the nomination date.
How does changing allegiance alter the fact there aren't enough players to field teams or volunteers to help run a club !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Flinders SC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Flinders SC »

Bomber wrote:Still no reason why not Collegiate instead - unless past the nomination date.
They might have lost the few players they had left - even if they haven't, the deadline was Feb 19th, five weeks ago.
FSC

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

PASC wrote:Amen!!! age of entitlement coming right through now, the lefties have had their way with society and this is what happens, some people cannot see past their own nose to give a shite about putting in a bit for the greater good of a group/club/community etc
It's all the lefties fault - worst argument, ever :lol:

How about capitalism and the need for greed. People more interested in their McMansions and reality TV these days.

Remember it was Maggie T who said their was no such thing as community - don't even bother asking for a source Hawkesy.
Time for some righteous indignation

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Yep .. none of the younger guys pitched in to do things around the club ..same people every week .. they younger ones didn't even turn up to train ..just came game day..

My sons play in the FFSA NPL leagues so trying to juggle both was too hard also making it even harder for the other three or four people that had o do everything .

We held in there as we were getting assurances from players that they would be playing only find out that it wasn't the case ... about five of our 20 or so year olds will hopefully go to another longstanding close by club ..and hopefully help keep them going .. four or five of us older ones my look to O35s masters league Sunday mornings..

End of an era ...

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

PASC wrote:

Amen!!! age of entitlement coming right through now, the lefties have had their way with society and this is what happens, some people cannot see past their own nose to give a shite about putting in a bit for the greater good of a group/club/community etc
The entire basis of the left/communism is the removal of individuality in favour of the greater good of the community. What the shiraz are you talking about?

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

clubs are what they make of it and clubs are what their players make it, no help and clubs die, but if a club doesn't help or attract the players they can't get the help they need to grow and survive. Fees can help or hinder, for example I know a club who offers $250 playing fees, sounds cheap but all the players get are shorts and socks. However another club offers fees for $350 and players get a full tracksuit, training jacket, bag, beanie, shorts, socks, and a club event ticket. As a new player to a club and having no solid connection to the club I know which offer I want for my $$$$ and many players look at this stuff when joining new clubs and those new players are the future, without them you slowly die. Get the players in, then grow a culture that makes them stay, don't chase them away before they learn to love the emblem on their shirt. Budapest suffered this very issue, and eventually the players they had were just the guys that had been there many years, no new influx and no reason for them to stay if they did come, after a while you're only left with the few loyal guys who are burnt out from many prior years of doing it all.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

spooky1972 wrote: for example I know a club who offers $250 playing fees, sounds cheap
No, it doesn't

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

spooky1972 wrote:clubs are what they make of it and clubs are what their players make it, no help and clubs die, but if a club doesn't help or attract the players they can't get the help they need to grow and survive. Fees can help or hinder, for example I know a club who offers $250 playing fees, sounds cheap but all the players get are shorts and socks. However another club offers fees for $350 and players get a full tracksuit, training jacket, bag, beanie, shorts, socks, and a club event ticket. As a new player to a club and having no solid connection to the club I know which offer I want for my $$$$ and many players look at this stuff when joining new clubs and those new players are the future, without them you slowly die. Get the players in, then grow a culture that makes them stay, don't chase them away before they learn to love the emblem on their shirt. Budapest suffered this very issue, and eventually the players they had were just the guys that had been there many years, no new influx and no reason for them to stay if they did come, after a while you're only left with the few loyal guys who are burnt out from many prior years of doing it all.
TBH I can't argue or deny this re us at Budapest .. $250 doesn't sound cheap for plying amateurs though..