Time for the SAASL to get tough on Clubs?

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

gooner4life
Apprentice
Apprentice

Time for the SAASL to get tough on Clubs?

Post by gooner4life »

With both Sat Div 3B and 4B both currently looking at a reduced number of games due to Clubs only having enough players for one team, is it time that the SAASL cracked down on teams and restructured the divisions properly :?:

Clubs should not be allowed into two team divisions if they can't field two teams, seems pretty straight forward to me. That is why there are single team divisions! :evil:

Don't get me wrong I understand when clubs have every intention of fielding two teams but as they get into the season they lose players so have to drop out, but when a club like Budapest allegedly have requested to move to a single team division why would the SAASL make them stay in a two team Div at the expense of every other team that has got two sides :?:

Should the SAASL force Clubs that do have the numbers to field two teams into the A&B divisions? If clubs like SPOC and OISC who both have C teams in two different single team divisions, were forced into Div 3 & 4 respectively they could replace those teams that can't get the numbers together.

Should the SAASL have the power to do this :?:

My major gripe is that as the situation stands, clubs will be registering players (and thus taking their money) on the promise of playing a certain number of games in a certain division, then the SAASL decide to bend the rules for some clubs and all of a sudden, clubs have players who are only playing every two weeks. Will the SAASL be reducing the fees for these players? Will they compensate the clubs if these players leave there club to play at a club who plays every week?

The structure of the league should not be at the mercy of the clubs to decide, that's why you have a body to run things, but that body has to be seen to be serving all of it's members not just some. :evil:

Rant over.. But I would be very interested to hear what others think, this would seem like a very good reason for clubs to think about joining the Collegiate League.
“We do not buy superstars. We make them.”
Arsene Wenger

Hatchet Squad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Time for the SAASL to get tough on Clubs?

Post by Hatchet Squad »

gooner4life wrote:With both Sat Div 3B and 4B both currently looking at a reduced number of games due to Clubs only having enough players for one team, is it time that the SAASL cracked down on teams and restructured the divisions properly :?:

Clubs should not be allowed into two team divisions if they can't field two teams, seems pretty straight forward to me. That is why there are single team divisions! :evil:

Don't get me wrong I understand when clubs have every intention of fielding two teams but as they get into the season they lose players so have to drop out, but when a club like Budapest allegedly have requested to move to a single team division why would the SAASL make them stay in a two team Div at the expense of every other team that has got two sides :?:

Should the SAASL force Clubs that do have the numbers to field two teams into the A&B divisions? If clubs like SPOC and OISC who both have C teams in two different single team divisions, were forced into Div 3 & 4 respectively they could replace those teams that can't get the numbers together.

My major gripe is that as the situation stands, clubs will be registering players (and thus taking their money) on the promise of playing a certain number of games in a certain division, then the SAASL decide to bend the rules for some clubs and all of a sudden, clubs have players who are only playing every two weeks. Will the SAASL be reducing the fees for these players? Will they compensate the clubs if these players leave there club to play at a club who plays every week?

The structure of the league should not be at the mercy of the clubs to decide, that's why you have a body to run things, but that body has to be seen to be serving all of it's members not just some. :evil:

Rant over.. But I would be very interested to hear what others think, this would seem like a very good reason for clubs to think about joining the Collegiate League.
The SAASL fee is minimal as it is. Maybe your club should pass on the reduction??
“Well done lad, but remember, you’re still only half as good as I was” – Dixie Dean to Bob Latchford after his 30th league goal in ’78

gooner4life
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gooner4life »

Hatchet Squad wrote:
gooner4life wrote:With both Sat Div 3B and 4B both currently looking at a reduced number of games due to Clubs only having enough players for one team, is it time that the SAASL cracked down on teams and restructured the divisions properly :?:

The SAASL fee is minimal as it is. Maybe your club should pass on the reduction??
I think you may have missed the point.. this is one of the things the club may well be forced to do to compensate these players for the lack of games they will receive. But will the SAASL compensate us for stuffing us a round?

My point is WHY should there be a NEED for any clubs to be in this position? Can you tell me you would be happy at your club to find out that a player you would be playing half the amount of games as the others, because the SAASL can't sort out the divisions properly :?: :?:

If you were a player in a B team pushing for a place in an A team, how would you feel? If you were a coach and you had already had the hard job of telling players they hadn't made the A team, now you have to tell them because the SAASL can't get there stuff together sorry you only get to play every two weeks now, how would that be?
Arsene Wenger

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Perhaps each week the Div 3B side and Div 4B side which have byes can arrange a friendly match? Obviously at each clubs discretion.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

gooner4life wrote:My point is WHY should there be a NEED for any clubs to be in this position? Can you tell me you would be happy at your club to find out that a player you would be playing half the amount of games as the others, because the SAASL can't sort out the divisions properly :?: :?:
It's 2 less games. 16 matches over a season compared to 18 matches. 11% less matches, not 50%

gooner4life
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gooner4life »

pernunz wrote:
gooner4life wrote:My point is WHY should there be a NEED for any clubs to be in this position? Can you tell me you would be happy at your club to find out that a player you would be playing half the amount of games as the others, because the SAASL can't sort out the divisions properly :?: :?:
It's 2 less games. 16 matches over a season compared to 18 matches. 11% less matches, not 50%
In Div 4B it is 15 games as opposed to 21 games in 4A, so no not 50% but I figure 6 games less was a lot for most people! - Sorry if I exaggerated for effect..
Arsene Wenger

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Ah, thought it was just 1 team in each division.

Sean's
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sean's »

As far as i am concerned the two new teams who have come into Sat Div 4 should have only been allowed in if they could field both A and B teams. As neither can they should have been placed in a single team league! I totally agree that clubs with two teams in separate single team leagues should be TOLD by the league that they need to play in Div 4 as they can field two teams. We at Strath have been working bloody hard to encourage more players to the club this year, and now some of them are going to get less games then expected, meaning they may well leave us for another club where they can get more games.
2011 - Saturday Division 4 Champions
2010 - Port Elliot Pre-season cup winners

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

It is ridiculous, i posted the same thing in the DIV 3 thread.

But you know what the league will do, take the money and run. Its not even that difficult to organize for Christ sake!

Unless more teams join the FFSA.....

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Sean's wrote:I totally agree that clubs with two teams in separate single team leagues should be TOLD by the league that they need to play in Div 4 as they can field two teams
Whilst this is fine in theory, you have the following situation.
A club with 4 teams has an A/B/C team in Division 1/5 or 2/6, and their 4th team in Division 7
A club with 5 teams has an A/B/C team in Division 1/5 or 2/6, and their 4th and 5th team are put in Division 4. These 4th and 5th teams are put up against clubs first and second teams, and the result is what has happened continuously in Division 4. A split between the "good" clubs and the bad.

It's no fun for anyone at the lower grades when you only get a result in 4/18 games, because there's only 2 other teams in a Division that you can compete at a similar skill level at. At the lower levels you want to be in a division which is competitive and reasonably equal. Yes, you'd ideally win the league, but just so long as you're competitive and aren't losing by 5 goals two out of every three weeks. Do the stronger sides get anything out of winning a game by double figures? How many players are disenfranchised with the game because of that experience? Adelaide Uni Grey in Div 4A last season lost 15/18 games, losing them by an average of almost 5 goals a game.

I guess it's up to the league to decide whether a division of teams who play 2 or 4 less games throughout the season is better than most of those teams simply racking up goal difference.

I do feel for Strathalbyn and Flinders 2 this season, as it is likely it will be a long tough season. The other alternative is to make Div 4 a 6 (or 7) team league (perhaps one or both of these clubs moving to a combination of Divisions 5, 6 and 7) with 18 (or 20) matches over 21 weeks.

Sean's
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sean's »

We would rather play the appropriate number of games and learn from the occasional thumping, than loose players who want regular football and can't get it with our B team. New teams that can not field an A and B grade should never have been placed in a two team team league.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Sean's wrote:New teams that can not field an A and B grade should never have been placed in a two team team league.
Didn't realise it was new, single club teams being put in Div 4! They should definitely start in a single team division if that's the case.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

you are getting extra games anyway being a 8 team league, 21 versus the 18 of other leagues. Therefore if what you said is correct, your A Grade are getting 3 extra games and B grade getting 3 less meaning 15.

im not saying i dont agree something needs to change, but overall over A/B you are getting same amount of available game time for all your players.

they probally should have gone to 3x 12 team divisions on saturday, if its true that 1/2 the teams do not have a B team..

Sean's
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sean's »

No problem A grade getting extra games, but B grade players should be able to play at least 18 games, very unfair on them and creates are large disparity between A team players getting 21 and B team only 15!

Argyle4Life
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Argyle4Life »

Very frustrating for all clubs involved. No doubt both clubs in Div 4 will fold at the end of this season anyway.... Then rename as another club in 2017 :roll:

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Sean's wrote:No problem A grade getting extra games, but B grade players should be able to play at least 18 games, very unfair on them and creates are large disparity between A team players getting 21 and B team only 15!
What if the B grade plays in the game against one of the 1 team clubs?

Then both teams would get 18 games.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

SAASL have had rules in place re 1 and 2 team clubs .. I agree with what Gooner has suggested that two team clubs should be promoted to higher leagues where 2 team are required and those that are only to filed 1 team should be in Divs appropriate for them ..other wise it will be a shambles.

I see more team going to feds in the next year or two or alternatively an amalgamation of SAASL and FFSA at long last.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Easy, move to collegiate league.

gooner4life
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gooner4life »

This from another thread.. but very relevant to this discussion.

Surely the SAASL should have moved Budapest to single team Div and replaced them with a club like OISC!
Sacred Noodle wrote:
Sean's wrote:That is a poor decision I agree. I happen to know Budapest asked a while ago to be put in a lower division through lack of players.

Yeah that's right .. the SAASL seems to be in a bit of a shambles the way the leagues have been formatted and how rules of participation in relevant div's have been disregarded.

Anyway are not willing to go out and get smashed each week in div three with the players we have available so for what its worth Budapest have folded and will not be fielding any team in the league - SAASL has been advised.

Pretty sad after 45years in its current form and a distinguished top flight history even prior to that against the likes of Juventus (AC) Hellas (WA) Polonia (Croydon) etc .. :(
Arsene Wenger

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

How can the SAASL get tough on clubs when it allows banned/suspended players from the FFSA/FFA to be able to participate

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

pernunz wrote:
Sean's wrote:New teams that can not field an A and B grade should never have been placed in a two team team league.
Didn't realise it was new, single club teams being put in Div 4! They should definitely start in a single team division if that's the case.
definitely not new, I seem to remember you playing in a single "B" team in that division.

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

bloodypassit wrote:How can the SAASL get tough on clubs when it allows banned/suspended players from the FFSA/FFA to be able to participate
OMG I agree with you 110%. I suppose it had to happen sometime. :shock:

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

unfortunately its not a level playing field anymore. normal established clubs would be taken to task these days if they tried it but the so called new chums seem to be able to do what they like. :roll:

Connect Four
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Connect Four »

God is an Englishman wrote:
pernunz wrote:
definitely not new, I seem to remember you playing in a single "B" team in that division.
F troop ! :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Connect Four wrote:F troop ! :lol:
I think they'd be in a fair bit of trouble even with the original F Troop, let alone the South London variety.

Sean's
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sean's »

Went into the league yesterday to pick up our player cards. Ladies were very helpful and thankful that we send ours through all together. They also told me that even up to yesterday clubs were still asking to register their club for the season, thinking that this was not too late! No wonder the fixtures are being changed still.