Lunging-Sliding In At Keepers Studs Up

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Lunging-Sliding In At Keepers Studs Up

Post by English »

God is an Englishman wrote:
paul merson wrote:
No I don't, nor care, but based on your opinion I had you down a life time achievement in C grade.
:lol:

I've played higher than that this year alone but if you judged people's standard by their opinions then Mark Bosnich must have played for some cabernet clubs.
Playing over 35s is not better than playing C grade, as much as the old blokes would love to tell you otherwise

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Some of the ridiculous comments on here, is it any wonder we have a shortage of Goalkeepers across the league.
Slide / lunging tackles are dangerous at the best of times, if you, as the field player have a chance of getting to the ball first, then it is up to the Keeper to decide how they approach the situation.
But if the keeper has already started to dive for the ball, and you can see he is going to get to the ball first, still decide to do a slide tackle, that is unacceptable and not in the spirit of the game.
Field players get injured, they can be replaced much easier then when a goalkeeper gets injured.
One time I committed to diving a low cross , that came in from the wing, had caught the ball, few seconds later felt someone come sliding in, opposition attacking player, allegedly studs up into my lower back.
Long story short, i could not move, game was stopped, ambulance was called, spent the next 6 weeks on light duties at work, only positive was it was the last game of the season.
That was few years ago, have never played in goals since.
Bad enough when you see them coming, when they come in behind you, very dangerous.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

English wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
paul merson wrote:
No I don't, nor care, but based on your opinion I had you down a life time achievement in C grade.

I've played higher than that this year alone but if you judged people's standard by their opinions then Mark Bosnich must have played for some cabernet clubs.
Playing over 35s is not better than playing C grade, as much as the old blokes would love to tell you otherwise
Depend on which club you're at. 2 years ago our 35's would have given our B's a decent game.

However, I've still played higher then C grade already this year.

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

swannsong wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:
swannsong wrote:Seems to be creeping in the game at SAASL level more frequently.
3 weeks in a row our goalkeeper has had forwards lunge and slide in for a ball that is basically in already his hands whist he is on the ground (ie one on one situations).
He has wound up with (1) massive bruising to his upper thigh with stud marks evident, (2) stud marks on his forehead and (3) stud marks on the inside of his knee.
And these were just pre-season games. :shock:
The call you usually hear is, "well, the ball is there to be had !!!" or something similar
Where else on the park is going in 'studs up' tolerated (often in the challenges with keepers two footed).
I really think the referees need to step up quickly and remove these kinds of challenges from the game...ie zero tolerance.

End of rant !
Where else on the park can a player lead with his fist and jump through the back of his opponent and not get penalized, let alone shown a card?
Most central defenders (if you replace fists with elbows) do most of that these days....
Where else on the park do players routinely place their heads low to the ground facing oncoming foot traffic to gather the ball.
I saw Ricky Hotka do it a few times.(use his head as to gather the ball from foot traffic that is)

brushmancity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by brushmancity »

[quote="God is an Englishman"

However, I've still played higher then C grade already this year.[/quote]

How is your Woman's Team going?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

My club doesn't have a women's side. Next.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

God is an Englishman wrote:My club doesn't have a women's side. Next.
But they do have a 'feminine' side :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:My club doesn't have a women's side. Next.
But they do have a 'feminine' side :)
We're all modern men if that's what you mean.

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

On the receiving end of a slide tackle through my hands on Saturday and now have a nasty broken hand and probly out for the season didn't really see where the player came from but I was prity sure I had the ball and no free kick given....so I really doubt keepers are getting protected when it comes to this....and to top it off the opposition scored from it!!

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

n8 wrote:On the receiving end of a slide tackle through my hands on Saturday and now have a nasty broken hand and probly out for the season didn't really see where the player came from but I was prity sure I had the ball and no free kick given....so I really doubt keepers are getting protected when it comes to this....and to top it off the opposition scored from it!!
As a former Goalkeeper myself that is disappointing to hear n8.hope you have a quick recovery. Did you have an official ref ?
The only people who think Keepers are a protected species, have never played in goals.

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ★★★ »

The General wrote:The only people who think Keepers are a protected species, have never played in goals.
I disagree, and yes I have played in goals.

Hydration Officer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Hydration Officer »

★★★ wrote:
The General wrote:The only people who think Keepers are a protected species, have never played in goals.
I disagree, and yes I have played in goals.

Did you play for a good side where the keeper hardly got a touch :)

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ★★★ »

Over four decades I have played at various levels for various clubs. God knows how many times I have been awarded a free kick and thought "there was nothing in that".

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

★★★ wrote:Over four decades I have played at various levels for various clubs. God knows how many times I have been awarded a free kick and thought "there was nothing in that".
How many times did you step for offside?

★★★
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ★★★ »

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

★★★ wrote:Over four decades I have played at various levels for various clubs. God knows how many times I have been awarded a free kick and thought "there was nothing in that".
And of course those mysterious decisions never happen anywhere else on the park..... ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook