Lunging-Sliding In At Keepers Studs Up

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Lunging-Sliding In At Keepers Studs Up

Post by swannsong »

Seems to be creeping in the game at SAASL level more frequently.
3 weeks in a row our goalkeeper has had forwards lunge and slide in for a ball that is basically in already his hands whist he is on the ground (ie one on one situations).
He has wound up with (1) massive bruising to his upper thigh with stud marks evident, (2) stud marks on his forehead and (3) stud marks on the inside of his knee.
And these were just pre-season games. :shock:
The call you usually hear is, "well, the ball is there to be had !!!" or something similar
Where else on the park is going in 'studs up' tolerated (often in the challenges with keepers two footed).
I really think the referees need to step up quickly and remove these kinds of challenges from the game...ie zero tolerance.

End of rant !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Lunging-Sliding In At Keepers Studs Up

Post by Brian the Postman »

swannsong wrote:Seems to be creeping in the game at SAASL level more frequently.
3 weeks in a row our goalkeeper has had forwards lunge and slide in for a ball that is basically in already his hands whist he is on the ground (ie one on one situations).
He has wound up with (1) massive bruising to his upper thigh with stud marks evident, (2) stud marks on his forehead and (3) stud marks on the inside of his knee.
The call you usually hear is, "well, the ball is there to be had !!!" or something similar
Where else on the park is going in 'studs up' tolerated (often in the challenges with keepers two footed).
I really think the referees need to step up quickly and remove these kinds of challenges from the game...ie zero tolerance.

End of rant !
Where else on the park can a player lead with his fist and jump through the back of his opponent and not get penalized, let alone shown a card?
It's all in the Delivery!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Brian the Postman wrote:
swannsong wrote:Seems to be creeping in the game at SAASL level more frequently.

End of rant !
Where else on the park can a player lead with his fist and jump through the back of his opponent and not get penalized, let alone shown a card?
Most central defenders (if you replace fists with elbows) do most of that these days....
Where else on the park do players routinely place their heads low to the ground facing oncoming foot traffic to gather the ball.

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

swannsong wrote:Where else on the park do players routinely place their heads low to the ground facing oncoming foot traffic to gather the ball.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Brian the Postman wrote:

End of rant !
No one is forcing the keeper to do that, if he wants to put his head where the boots are then that's his choice.

Keepers are over protected, they jump with knees up and get nothing. If you go near them, they get a free kick.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

pernunz wrote:
swannsong wrote:Where else on the park do players routinely place their heads low to the ground facing oncoming foot traffic to gather the ball.

pires7
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by pires7 »

Was Smeltz punished for collecting birighitti?

Often what happens at the higher levels will filter down if it isn't stamped out there.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:
pernunz wrote:
I wish there was a video of Keith Stevens's slide tackle in the box with his head on 14th April 1999 MILLWALL v Colchester.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:

End of rant !
No one is forcing the keeper to do that, if he wants to put his head where the boots are then that's his choice.

Keepers are over protected, they jump with knees up and get nothing. If you go near them, they get a free kick.
Often the keepers are overprotected I agree...particularly in aerial challenges.
It's not usually an issue if the attacker remains upright but once a forward-attacker starts sliding in...as with anywhere on the park...it is nearly impossible to pull out or avoid dangerous contact....even if the goalkeeper were to try an kick the ball clear, there is a good chance he would come out with a serious leg injury due to the attacker sliding in studs up.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

If the keeper already has the ball then it should be treated the same as if you collect the defender after he's cleared the ball. However, in a 50/50 situation both are entitled to go for the ball.

I actually saw the opposite recently. A keeper coming out studs up ensuring he collected the attacker at the same time. I didn't see it but I am also informed he got a good punch in as he was getting up as well (but that's an added extra to conversation)

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

God is an Englishman wrote:If the keeper already has the ball then it should be treated the same as if you collect the defender after he's cleared the ball. However, in a 50/50 situation both are entitled to go for the ball.

I actually saw the opposite recently. A keeper coming out studs up ensuring he collected the attacker at the same time. I didn't see it but I am also informed he got a good punch in as he was getting up as well (but that's an added extra to conversation)
Indeed, but not sliding in studs up....that is my main point ! (hint, it's in the thread title. ;) )
I would dare say if the situation is reversed as you have suggested, then a goalkeeper might be punished more harshly than an attacker as he most likely would be the last defender !

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

swannsong wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:If the keeper already has the ball then it should be treated the same as if you collect the defender after he's cleared the ball. However, in a 50/50 situation both are entitled to go for the ball.

Indeed, but not sliding in studs up....that is my main point ! (hint, it's in the thread title. ;) )
I would dare say if the situation is reversed as you have suggested, then a goalkeeper might be punished more harshly than an attacker as he most likely would be the last defender !
If keepers weren't over protected then i'm sure he would have been punished more harshly

Daijayama Matsuri
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Daijayama Matsuri »

God is an Englishman wrote:Keepers are over protected, they jump with knees up and get nothing. If you go near them, they get a free kick.
I've always said this.

East Boy
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by East Boy »

I cant remember a game where I didn't end up with a bruise, stud marks, some part of my body struggling on a Monday. If the balls there, I would certainly want our players putting in a challenge. Granted most strikers have no idea how to actually tackle.....

carltonpalmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by carltonpalmer »

If the ball is there to be one it's there to be one, yes common sense comes into place (i.e if the keeper already has it in his hands) but if you're a striker and there's a chance of you getting the ball in the back of the net you HAVE to go for it.

It works both ways, goalkeepers can come steaming out and flatten players as long as they collect the ball properly. If not, then it's a foul. Same for a striker. Simple!

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

carltonpalmer wrote:If the ball is there to be one it's there to be one, yes common sense comes into place (i.e if the keeper already has it in his hands) but if you're a striker and there's a chance of you getting the ball in the back of the net you HAVE to go for it.

It works both ways, goalkeepers can come steaming out and flatten players as long as they collect the ball properly. If not, then it's a foul. Same for a striker. Simple!
not that you would ever injure a goalkeeper

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Been told that a certain keeper took out a striker at PHE a few years ago leaving him severely injured doing exactly what is being talked about in this thread.

Hatchet Squad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Hatchet Squad »

I reckon one of these challenges Swanny is on about was against Seaford in the Southern Cup. In this instance the ball was there to be won. Besty has never gone out there with the intention of deliberately hurting anyone. Needless to say the two did come together and the keeper came off more worse for wear. cabernet happens but I do remember Jim going off his head about it and here's me thinking not much in it to be honest. I guess it all depends on what side of the pitch you're on.
“Well done lad, but remember, you’re still only half as good as I was” – Dixie Dean to Bob Latchford after his 30th league goal in ’78

gmoney
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by gmoney »

As a keeper who's had his eye socket and cheekbones shattered, and broken his jaw on two separate one on one situations both of which only were punished with a free kick for, I think alot more has to be done to protect keeper's. If its a ball in the Air at corners, crosses etc there are definitely some soft frees but to slide in late on a keeper is a completely different story especially when ref's are more than willing to give a penalty if roles are slightly reversed.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Lunging-Sliding would be a good name for a team in the Asian Champions League.
Time for some righteous indignation

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Hatchet Squad wrote:I reckon one of these challenges Swanny is on about was against Seaford in the Southern Cup. In this instance the ball was there to be won. Besty has never gone out there with the intention of deliberately hurting anyone. Needless to say the two did come together and the keeper came off more worse for wear. cabernet happens but I do remember Jim going off his head about it and here's me thinking not much in it to be honest. I guess it all depends on what side of the pitch you're on.
swannsong wrote:
As I said earlier...once a forward starts sliding in, foot outstretched, studs facing forward...he has no way of pulling out or controlling his momentum....dangerous play in my book.
PS - the Referee also called the challenge you refer to 'offside' to add salt to the keeper's wounds.
More to do with what side of the injury you were on rather than pitch. :)

safehands
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by safehands »

Daijayama Matsuri wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Keepers are over protected, they jump with knees up and get nothing. If you go near them, they get a free kick.
I've always said this.
Maybe you should try playing in goals for a few games, you may change your opinion..
'Winning doesn't really matter as long as you win.' - VINNY JONES
'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked.' - RICHARD RUFUS

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

What leagues around the world are you allowed to slide studs up into a gk?
Just because the striker thinks he has a chance of putting the ball into the back of the net? But in reverse a gk attacks a ball with his hands a missed it to touch a striker and you all want him sent off?
Ok

As for gks being over protected, how many of you have bothered finding out why?
Ok I have had access to World Cup officials being involved in the RTC but to benefit my game and my team mates in stead of just whining I found out why.

All this topic sounds like is AFL how tough am I bollocks, it's football people, just because it's an amatuer league doesn't mean it has to be completely back yard.

Daijayama Matsuri
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Daijayama Matsuri »

safehands wrote:
Daijayama Matsuri wrote:
I've always said this.
Maybe you should try playing in goals for a few games, you may change your opinion..
I was a goalkeeper for over thirty years.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:As for gks being over protected, how many of you have bothered finding out why?
Is it because they're not good enough to be real footballers?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

paul merson wrote:As for gks being over protected, how many of you have bothered finding out why?
Is it because they're not good enough to be real footballers?
I'm not sure, being I was a 'footballer' prior to keeping at a bigger club than you'll ever play at I doubt it.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

[quote="paul merson"]

I'm not sure, being I was a 'footballer' prior to keeping at a bigger club than you'll ever play at I doubt it./quote]

We've discussed a previous club I was at, want to change that comment.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

paul merson wrote:
I'm not sure, being I was a 'footballer' prior to keeping at a bigger club than you'll ever play at I doubt it./quote]

We've discussed a previous club I was at, want to change that comment.
No I don't, nor care, but based on your opinion I had you down a life time achievement in C grade.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:
No I don't, nor care, but based on your opinion I had you down a life time achievement in C grade.
:lol:

I've played higher than that this year alone but if you judged people's standard by their opinions then Mark Bosnich must have played for some cabernet clubs.

Vernon Howell
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Vernon Howell »

He did play for some shít clubs
As close to jesus as you're likely to get