Where is SAASL heading..

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Whites
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Where is SAASL heading..

Post by Whites »

While Jay recently brought up the FFSA V SAASL argument and that a few clubs are either moving to federation or to the Collegiate league due to its ties with the FFSA, I think there is a greater issue at hand.... Player payments, this is a real issue that could get out of hand, great for the players getting the cash but how can the clubs continue down this track? out bidding each other to have a team full of high earners. I was at a recent game and a committee member from a Div 2 Saturday team said that they are looking at a wage budget moving forward, I asked do you need to and his reply was we have new players come to the club but leave because we don't pay.... slippery slope indeed. Now we all know that some of the wage budgets in Div 1 Sunday have risen and I hope these clubs have the budget for this, but where will it stop. Over the last few years the Country Football league has brought in strict budgets per team for this reason and even capped the top earners in each club.... should the SAASL look at this? which will be the first club to go broke for these reasons? Or could the league just be about the have's and the Have nots...

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Where is SAASL heading..

Post by redfred »

So clubs that bring in 20-30k in sponsorship and turnover of $500-$750? per week shouldn't spend their profits on bringing in better standard players to the club? If clubs are over spending their income then their committees should walk away But why shouldn't clubs spend their hard earned profit to improve the club and ultimately the competition. Remembering our football code is not governed( except for a league, npl very loosely,mls) by salary caps. If people want to work hard to get their clubs to the top or lucky enough to find a sugar daddy then good luck to them. Looks like an up and coming is going to force a few clubs to work harder,recruit better,fundraiser more often. All the better to saasl.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ctrl-Alt-Del »

redfred wrote:So clubs that bring in 20-30k in sponsorship and turnover of $500-$750? per week shouldn't spend their profits on bringing in better standard players to the club? If clubs are over spending their income then their committees should walk away But why shouldn't clubs spend their hard earned profit to improve the club and ultimately the competition. Remembering our football code is not governed( except for a league, npl very loosely,mls) by salary caps. If people want to work hard to get their clubs to the top or lucky enough to find a sugar daddy then good luck to them. Looks like an up and coming is going to force a few clubs to work harder,recruit better,fundraiser more often. All the better to saasl.
Remember hearing once that the maximum player payment allowable in amateurs was supposed to be around $99. :shock: :lol:
I assume most clubs books would not truly reflect player payments if the numbers being thrown around these days are true.
It is however, understandable for clubs with good membership that they would want a team that their members would enjoy and be proud watching.
Last edited by Ctrl-Alt-Del on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is everyone always telling people on computers to hit me ?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Personally i think a club in the amateur league shouldn't pay anyone. The clue is in the name.

However, if clubs want to them we live in a capitalist society so let them.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

God is an Englishman wrote:Personally i think a club in the amateur league shouldn't pay anyone. The clue is in the name.

Again I agree with GIAE. That is 2 now from all his posts. Going for a hat trick.

My question is. When SAASL 1st started was there money involved? Or did all this happen later on?

Do the rules state no more then $99 per game? Top players are been paid 4/5 x that from what you hear.

So if these payments exist why not change the rules.

Not sure what a Div 1 club would budget in wages per week, but wouldnt it better to push this money towards Juniors.

1 weeks wages could fund a whole junior team for a year.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

who cares, clubs pay coaches, clubs pay players, some clubs even pay their canteen staff and the ones that do have a better product in those areas.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Where is the SAASL heading ???? Well Maiwand will be playing Sunday div 4....

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

bloodypassit wrote:Where is the SAASL heading ???? Well Maiwand will be playing Sunday div 4....
get them camels off the pitch :wink:

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

POLONIAROCS wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Personally i think a club in the amateur league shouldn't pay anyone. The clue is in the name.

Again I agree with GIAE. That is 2 now from all his posts. Going for a hat trick.

My question is. When SAASL 1st started was there money involved? Or did all this happen later on?

Do the rules state no more then $99 per game? Top players are been paid 4/5 x that from what you hear.

So if these payments exist why not change the rules.

Not sure what a Div 1 club would budget in wages per week, but wouldnt it better to push this money towards Juniors.

1 weeks wages could fund a whole junior team for a year.
Really good post, still cant work out how players get paid over the odds in an Amateur league.

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

redfred wrote:So clubs that bring in 20-30k in sponsorship and turnover of $500-$750? per week shouldn't spend their profits on bringing in better standard players to the club? If clubs are over spending their income then their committees should walk away But why shouldn't clubs spend their hard earned profit to improve the club and ultimately the competition. Remembering our football code is not governed( except for a league, npl very loosely,mls) by salary caps. If people want to work hard to get their clubs to the top or lucky enough to find a sugar daddy then good luck to them. Looks like an up and coming is going to force a few clubs to work harder,recruit better,fundraiser more often. All the better to saasl.
I guess if those same clubs don't charge other players why not. Free rego is a good thing.

Maybe they should have Junior teams....

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

There is just no way you could police player payments.

At the moment there is a situation where Brahma are prepared to pay almost anything to win the league. The amounts I am hearing are beyond laughable and no other club would even bother competing with those rates !!

One thing we know about player payments is unless it is consistent year after year and the money dries up, players like that are quick to walk and you are left with a club that is a former shadow of itself with no players

On the other hand investment into the league is a good thing as the product becomes better - quality players attract better crowds and interest and turnover for all clubs. The Brahma supporters are good value and they will be a good addition to the Sunday Premier League, just hope they cut their wage budget in future years to give everyone a fair go :lol:

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

Don't believe everything you hear Robbo.

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

dj_no.1 wrote:Don't believe everything you here Robbo.
Yeh there is always that as well

But Mark Graham, Michael Mullen and Chad Bujea don't exactly play for pennies now do they ?

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

As do a few farm boys. Im sure a couple of pennies helped secure the div 1 title last year.

Its been happening for years.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Robbo wrote:
dj_no.1 wrote:Don't believe everything you here Robbo.
Yeh there is always that as well

But Mark Graham, Michael Mullen and Chad Bujea don't exactly play for pennies now do they ?
This forum quoted one of those players as getting a grand a game, as said above "don't believe everything you hear".

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

dj_no.1 wrote:As do a few farm boys. Im sure a couple of pennies helped secure the div 1 title last year.

Good luck to any club that can raise enough funds to pay players, well run and well supported
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

dj_no.1 wrote:As do a few farm boys. Im sure a couple of pennies helped secure the div 1 title last year.

absolutely mate - Farm pay players, and as i said above, you want clubs to be paying players as the overall product becomes better
God is an Englishman wrote:This forum quoted one of those players as getting a grand a game, as said above "don't believe everything you hear".
:shock:

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Robbo who set the bar previously? You don't know what Brahma pay their players so it's a bit unfair to make assumptions, just like none have done in regards to your club. Fact is whoever pays is only doing so to get a player that would otherwise have gone to another club for another dollar value. This is very common in the top division and I know for fact it has been done for the past 20 years and who knows how further back than that. Feel free to finger point at the clubs who started this rather than those who may now be forced to pay what you believe are inflated rates.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

BPBC wrote:Robbo who set the bar previously? You don't know what Brahma pay their players so it's a bit unfair to make assumptions, just like none have done in regards to your club. Fact is whoever pays is only doing so to get a player that would otherwise have gone to another club for another dollar value. This is very common in the top division and I know for fact it has been done for the past 20 years and who knows how further back than that. Feel free to finger point at the clubs who started this rather than those who may now be forced to pay what you believe are inflated rates.
There were payments around in the 70s....I remember in 1979, Downs were in Division 1 and had finished 4th the previous year....Roy Ainscough was set to Coach the Downs for a 3rd year (I think that Frankie Day was even training with us at the start of the season ?)...I believe Roy wanted to 'reward' players but the Committee then decided against it....Roy decided not to Coach and about 5 players from the previous season (1978) ended up at other Clubs, particularly Salisbury Inter (who won the League in 1979)....Downs were subsequently relegated in 1979...
Currently it seems that teams can possibly gain promotion from Division 2 without player enticements but staying in the Sunday Premier Division is quite difficult when Clubs with sufficient funds can lure a collective of Federation standard players to their squads....makes for good quality football as you might expect....pretty much mirrors world club football on a much smaller scale....

From the team above we lost Andy Hutchins (Florina), Kelvin Adderly (Inter), Glynn Berresord (Inter), Geoff Armstrong(Inter), as well as Roy Ainscough (Florina) and I played mostly Reserves that year...
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Sunday league SAASL exists in a bubble. There is no competitor league so everyone pretty much does what they want, the regulations are flouted in many ways other than player payments below Div 2, not surprised Polonia left to be honest. If the FFSA finally does its job properly and takes grassroots football seriously as it appears it is about to then people (individuals and clubs) will go to the best administered association. The bar currently isn’t set very high by SAASL, could see it down to a 20 team league in 10 years with likes of Maiwand in Div 1.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

N5 1BH wrote:Sunday league SAASL exists in a bubble. There is no competitor league so everyone pretty much does what they want, the regulations are flouted in many ways other than player payments below Div 2, not surprised Polonia left to be honest. If the FFSA finally does its job properly and takes grassroots football seriously as it appears it is about to then people (individuals and clubs) will go to the best administered association. The bar currently isn’t set very high by SAASL, could see it down to a 20 team league in 10 years with likes of Maiwand in Div 1.
I think there are now plenty of 'competitor leagues', the Over 35's have seen massive growth and have taken many of the older players, equally the Federations 3rd Division is basically an Amateur League (by stealth) the CSL has also grown from a few teams who just wanted a social kick around to a far more serious and competitive competition - I believe the Saturday Leagues have grown in the SAASL?

I do however agree that the Maiwands of the world need to be kicked out once and for all

Someone mentioned 12 team leagues, I think this would be a great move
Are you Bodo in disguise?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

With talk of 36 teams on a Sunday.

Obvious solution to me would be

Top 2 divisipns of 10 teams

Div 3 & 4 with 8 teams playing 21 games.

If you have 12 team leagues in the top 2 divisions then they would need to use the cup rounds to get enough games in. Those are team's most likely to go further in the cup as well.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

God is an Englishman wrote:With talk of 36 teams on a Sunday.

Obvious solution to me would be

Top 2 divisipns of 10 teams

Div 3 & 4 with 8 teams playing 21 games.

If you have 12 team leagues in the top 2 divisions then they would need to use the cup rounds to get enough games in. Those are team's most likely to go further in the cup as well.
looks like with 4 new teams in div 4 sunday, we will have 10, or 9 if Fulham withdraw, so not too bad

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Does it really matter what league clubs ( Collegiate / SAASL ) want to play in ?
For the game to continue and grow and prosper we need to be supporting each other.
It is great that after all these years the ffsa has finally established a way for amateur clubs to be part of their structure, and good luck to those clubs that want to go that way.
The SAASL has a lot history for providing opportunity for many people from all walks of life to play football, including Collegiate clubs - wonder how many Collegiate clubs got started because of the amateur league ?
There are approximately 16 divisions over Saturday and Sunday, if we lose a couple of divisions because they decide to play CSL I am sure the SAASL will continue to provide a healthy competition

With some people out there who do not follow the world game who if they are reading these posts, would enjoy seeing the different associations ( FFSA / CSL /SAASL ) in our code of football arguing with each other.
I am sure there are those who are involved with the SAASL who follow FFSA clubs and vice versa, and in the women's competition you have ffsa / collegiate/ amateur clubs all competing against each other.
Whatever league whatever division, together we play and follow the game with passion.
Cheers

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

Robbo wrote:There is just no way you could police player payments.

At the moment there is a situation where Brahma are prepared to pay almost anything to win the league. The amounts I am hearing are beyond laughable and no other club would even bother competing with those rates !!

One thing we know about player payments is unless it is consistent year after year and the money dries up, players like that are quick to walk and you are left with a club that is a former shadow of itself with no players

On the other hand investment into the league is a good thing as the product becomes better - quality players attract better crowds and interest and turnover for all clubs. The Brahma supporters are good value and they will be a good addition to the Sunday Premier League, just hope they cut their wage budget in future years to give everyone a fair go :lol:
over the last how many years (maybe 20) it has been, within reason, whoever had the most money won div 1 and will continue to do so. the same applies to many other football comps around the world.
although the money outgoing to players at SAASL level is not offset by increased crowds and turnover. you have to be realistic. there's a fair bit going out, there is no way that equates to equal level of extra turnover. if sponsors pay directly to players though, it can be a win for everyone.
Im closer than you think

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I don't understand why the leagues can't work together.

FFSA allow SAASL in under the umbrella but don't charge them anything. They allow SAASL to run it's own competition and complete autonomy. The membership becomes merely a figurehead membership.

Everyone wins!

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

God is an Englishman wrote:I don't understand why the leagues can't work together.

FFSA allow SAASL in under the umbrella but don't charge them anything. They allow SAASL to run it's own competition and complete autonomy. The membership becomes merely a figurehead membership.

Everyone wins!
Almost similar to the CSL

play under FFSA umbrella.. And run their own competition

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bloodypassit wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:I don't understand why the leagues can't work together.

Everyone wins!

I think, CSL have to make a payment to FFSA. If it wasn't all about the money for FFSA then why not take away that extra payment?

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

God is an Englishman wrote:
bloodypassit wrote:

Everyone wins!

I think, CSL have to make a payment to FFSA. If it wasn't all about the money for FFSA then why not take away that extra payment?
CSL run their own league under the FFSA. They have their own bank account. The only fee they pay the FFSA is the following: $66 per player. This covers rego and insurance. No other fees.

Now the SAASL charge around $33 per player approx. that covers rego and insurance.

Apart from money there are also other issues. The old crew crew of SAASL won't want to work with FFSA.

I think a younger crew from within SAASL would.

It would be great to see to see the top division Sat / Sun be involved in FFA cup.

It's really up to the younger crew in the SAASL to push the issue.

It will happen one day. Hopefully soon.

I have been involved in FFSA / SAASL / CSL. Had a great time in all of them.

CSL and FFSA work together. Wouldn't be hard for SAASL and FFSA.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Saasl fee of 37 does not include insurance.

If you had 15 per team it works out as 67 Inc insurance per player