Where is SAASL heading..

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

dinozoff
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Where is SAASL heading..

Post by dinozoff »

bloodypassit wrote: The way Alex spoke Monday night and Wednesday arvo was Polonia were still in the SAASL ....
Not according to the draft league structure we received from the CSL last week
Dan Birdwell - You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

seems like its only the big northern clubs who want to preserve their little pond and be the big fish in it (ie/saasl). that's what will end up happening, a sunday league within 10 years with one or maybe two divs and downs\gardens\farm and now brahma can ponce around in it and pretend their hot sh~t.

if they move over to an amateur league under the FFSA they will have to mix it with the big boys in the FFA Cup and get flogged. too much reality there. stay away.
Im closer than you think

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

Lol show me the long list of saasl teams entering the ffsa amateur comp

web
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by web »

FoundIt wrote:seems like its only the big northern clubs who want to preserve their little pond and be the big fish in it (ie/saasl). that's what will end up happening, a sunday league within 10 years with one or maybe two divs and downs\gardens\farm and now brahma can ponce around in it and pretend their hot sh~t.

if they move over to an amateur league under the FFSA they will have to mix it with the big boys in the FFA Cup and get flogged. too much reality there. stay away.

Name change to Lostit would suit you better.
You are more than welcome to Bring It On.

HAIL HAIL

Hatchet Squad
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Hatchet Squad »

web wrote:
FoundIt wrote:seems like its only the big northern clubs who want to preserve their little pond and be the big fish in it (ie/saasl). that's what will end up happening, a sunday league within 10 years with one or maybe two divs and downs\gardens\farm and now brahma can ponce around in it and pretend their hot sh~t.

Name change to Lostit would suit you better.
:lol:
“Well done lad, but remember, you’re still only half as good as I was” – Dixie Dean to Bob Latchford after his 30th league goal in ’78

ManCityMan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ManCityMan »

Interesting to hear from teams that have left why they have left. Does anyone do an exit survey?

Was it to get more/better referees? - I used to referee in the FFSA and a lot of the referees viewed the SAASL as a good place to ref if you wanted to get your car wrecked or come to some physical harm. If this is the reason, they need to get serious on controlling the crowds, coaches and players a lot more.

Was it because they felt the SAASL top divs have become too professional, with too much money being thrown around?

Was it because they couldn't get a good working relationship with the SAASL management?

Was it because they wanted to be part of FFA cup ?

Was it because they wanted to have a junior set up with an obvious path to the first team and above and were tired of losing quality junior players?

I think the SAASL leagues are great and don't get the respect they deserve. I disagree with comments that top SAASL teams would get their hinds handed to them by FFSA clubs. There are more fans in the SAASL is one thing the league has going for it. Some of the FFSA atmospheres like ghost towns. The fitness of the players is excellent in the FFSA but the SAASL is a more tactical and physical competition than the lower FFSA divs. You don't see too many 18-22 year old guys that can do well in SAASL, it is a man's comp.

Money in the SAASL has been around for an awfully long time, and even before it was, employment prospects were no doubt greatly improved in the aligned workplaces if you were a quality player. If money isn't the reason, then what is ?

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

:lol:
What a stupid post. Definitely lost it!
:arrow:
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

You Too
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by You Too »

Hopefully you will findit soon because it sure seems you've lost a few of us.

You are talking absolute crap and trying to back it up with silly predictions. People play amateurs and have done so for over 50 years because the SAASL provide an affordable opportunity for them to participate.

On the other hand the FFSA are geared towards people who want to put in more effort and play at a higher standard and good luck to them for all their effort. However their junior competition seems interested only in mums and dads who believe that their children are the next Messi and are gullible enough to fork out $800.00 a year to realize a dream. The fact is 99.99% of them do eventually realize that it is all a dream and the sad reality is they have actually just been used as cash cows so your so called big boys can get paid.

If your happy paying high fees so your big boys can get paid good on you but unless the FFSA come to the table and negotiate sensibly about growing football for everyone not just the chosen few then I'm sure the SAASL can look forward to celebrating a successful 100 years with a lot more than your predicted 2 leagues.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

You Too wrote:

You are talking absolute crap and trying to back it up with silly predictions. People play amateurs and have done so for over 50 years because the SAASL provide an affordable opportunity for them to participate.

On the other hand the FFSA are geared towards people who want to put in more effort and play at a higher standard and good luck to them for all their effort. However their junior competition seems interested only in mums and dads who believe that their children are the next Messi and are gullible enough to fork out $800.00 a year to realize a dream. The fact is 99.99% of them do eventually realize that it is all a dream and the sad reality is they have actually just been used as cash cows so your so called big boys can get paid.

If your happy paying high fees so your big boys can get paid good on you but unless the FFSA come to the table and negotiate sensibly about growing football for everyone not just the chosen few then I'm sure the SAASL can look forward to celebrating a successful 100 years with a lot more than your predicted 2 leagues.
You're assessment of juniors at FFSA in comparison to what I can only assume you mean E&D is that of someone that knows no better, having seen both sides of the fence the last couple of seasons I have absolutely no hesitation in taking my son to Metro stars, I as a senior player & life member of the club attended ATMs over the last couple of years to question that juniors funding seniors as I personally think that's wrong, I see the fees as player compensation to the club that used to be covered by transfer fees.
For my 2 cents on the whole saasl v FFSA, I really hope the amatuer said move across and all get involved in the FFA Cup, having played through to the final 16 it's absolutely brilliant, awaiting live draws, the buzz around it, taking on the big guns is what it's all about.
I'd love to take on a Hellas or Adelaide City with Bosa.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

paul merson wrote: You're assessment of juniors at FFSA in comparison to what I can only assume you mean E&D is that of someone that knows no better, having seen both sides of the fence the last couple of seasons I have absolutely no hesitation in taking my son to Metro stars, I as a senior player & life member of the club attended ATMs over the last couple of years to question that juniors funding seniors as I personally think that's wrong, I see the fees as player compensation to the club that used to be covered by transfer fees.
For my 2 cents on the whole saasl v FFSA, I really hope the amatuer said move across and all get involved in the FFA Cup, having played through to the final 16 it's absolutely brilliant, awaiting live draws, the buzz around it, taking on the big guns is what it's all about.
Freudian slip Mers.... :D
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

swannsong wrote:
paul merson wrote: You're assessment of juniors at FFSA in comparison to what I can only assume you mean E&D is that of someone that knows no better, having seen both sides of the fence the last couple of seasons I have absolutely no hesitation in taking my son to Metro stars, I as a senior player & life member of the club attended ATMs over the last couple of years to question that juniors funding seniors as I personally think that's wrong, I see the fees as player compensation to the club that used to be covered by transfer fees.
Freudian slip Mers.... :D
Haha always on the ball Swanny, AGM

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

You Too wrote:

A greatly reduced league is a distinct possibility down the track I reckon. Isn’t it now accepted that this year Div 1 will most likely be won probably via a series of embarrassing blow outs by basically a semi-pro club with no juniors of it’s own but packed with well paid ex Fed juniors while the administration turns a blind eye. They way it’s going, in a few more years Div 1 SAASL clubs will be completely dependent on Fed trained players. My worry is where does E&D and lower div amateur clubs fit into all this.

Chaos
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Chaos »

N5 1BH wrote:
You Too wrote:

A greatly reduced league is a distinct possibility down the track I reckon. Isn’t it now accepted that this year Div 1 will most likely be won probably via a series of embarrassing blow outs by basically a semi-pro club with no juniors of it’s own but packed with well paid ex Fed juniors while the administration turns a blind eye. They way it’s going, in a few more years Div 1 SAASL clubs will be completely dependent on Fed trained players. My worry is where does E&D and lower div amateur clubs fit into all this.
What waffle are you on about. Not all amateur clubs have direct attachment to juniors. Let alone div 1.
But i still do not see what is wrong with amateur clubs luring ex fed players who are looking for a change. It's been happening for decades. As it should. Not all bodies are built for 4 trainings and a game each week.
E&D will succeed for as long as its allowed as the system has been great and continues to do so. Lower div sides...most of them want to be there. If they really wanted to climb, get sponsors and make things happen off the park.
COLOSSUS wrote:Let me guess, ive got no balls

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

paul merson wrote:
You Too wrote:

You're assessment of juniors at FFSA in comparison to what I can only assume you mean E&D is that of someone that knows no better, having seen both sides of the fence the last couple of seasons I have absolutely no hesitation in taking my son to Metro stars, I as a senior player & life member of the club attended ATMs over the last couple of years to question that juniors funding seniors as I personally think that's wrong, I see the fees as player compensation to the club that used to be covered by transfer fees.
The problem mers is that some families with more than 1 child playing can find $800 per child unaffordable so e&d offer an affordable option. Let's not forget also that e&d has also produced plenty of players for the Feds. I'm not a parent but if I was paying this much for my child at metro knowing what the first team players are being paid and then go to watch the first team play and see their are 15 people in support I'd be questioning where the money to pay players is coming from? At least most of the established amateur clubs have a big enough following to generate the cash required to pay their players without dipping into funds generated by juniors. I'll give up the excitement of the ffsa cup to play in an affordable competition and in front of a crowd with good banter etc

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

4-4-2 wrote:
paul merson wrote:
You Too wrote:

The problem mers is that some families with more than 1 child playing can find $800 per child unaffordable so e&d offer an affordable option. Let's not forget also that e&d has also produced plenty of players for the Feds. I'm not a parent but if I was paying this much for my child at metro knowing what the first team players are being paid and then go to watch the first team play and see their are 15 people in support I'd be questioning where the money to pay players is coming from? At least most of the established amateur clubs have a big enough following to generate the cash required to pay their players without dipping into funds generated by juniors. I'll give up the excitement of the ffsa cup to play in an affordable competition and in front of a crowd with good banter etc
I am a parent, my son is at metro my daughter at Tango, you think netball is any cheaper?
Do I sit there questioning what their seniors get paid?
Am I going to try a give my children the best chance to reach their best?

Yes E&D has produced players for FFSA, even the NSL, I played E&D, the problem is what I witnessed was the same as we were doing 30 odd years ago when I played, the game has moved forward in leaps and bounds over the last 10 years yet they're still doing the same thing from 30 years ago.

Also I highly doubt you know what the Metro players are being paid, you are probably guessing or heard something from someone else who has absolutely nothing to do with the club either.

Aligning with the FFSA doesn't mean the league will be unaffordable, as the CSL are finding out.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

From my point of view I see the FFSA operating not unlike a Coles-Woolworths-Bunnings, they are looking for numbers (ie bargaining power for things such as the FFA Cup, grants etc) in that they will lure groups in at comparable (or possibly cheaper) rates than the SAASL....in an attempt to drive out the competition and gain dominancy of the market.
I see the SAASL and the E&DJSA as more of an IGA-Foodland collective trying to offer a self managed service without the backing of a larger parent company.
The Collegiate League may be being given special treatment at the moment (not unlike discounted milk in Supermarkets) as a lure to bring them under the FFSA umbrella (kind of a Loss Leader football strategy).
I assume (maybe wrongly) that Collegiate football governance structure and costs could change at the say of the FFSA board (not sure how the agreement is cemented in place ?)...the Clubs that have uprooted themselves from the SAASL would pretty much have to toe the line of any changes or drop back on the end of the SAASL queue.
To compare FFSA Juniors and E&DJSA juniors I (like most parents) can only use my son as an example, my son has been within an FFSA Junior setup for 7 years and I have yet to see anything greater than the instruction and training I personally received as a junior back in the E&DJSA in the late 60s-70s.
Obviously each FFSA Junior setup will be of differing standards, so to lump either side of the Junior setup fence as one being superior or more up to date, is not a true reflection of either standards.

Ultimately I would love for the FFSA, SAASL and E&DJSA (and all other footballing associations) to work in harmony to benefit the code in this state

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

ManCityMan wrote:Interesting to hear from teams that have left why they have left. Does anyone do an exit survey?

Was it to get more/better referees? - I used to referee in the FFSA and a lot of the referees viewed the SAASL as a good place to ref if you wanted to get your car wrecked or come to some physical harm. If this is the reason, they need to get serious on controlling the crowds, coaches and players a lot more.

Was it because they felt the SAASL top divs have become too professional, with too much money being thrown around?

Was it because they couldn't get a good working relationship with the SAASL management?

Was it because they wanted to be part of FFA cup ?

Was it because they wanted to have a junior set up with an obvious path to the first team and above and were tired of losing quality junior players?

I think the SAASL leagues are great and don't get the respect they deserve. I disagree with comments that top SAASL teams would get their hinds handed to them by FFSA clubs. There are more fans in the SAASL is one thing the league has going for it. Some of the FFSA atmospheres like ghost towns. The fitness of the players is excellent in the FFSA but the SAASL is a more tactical and physical competition than the lower FFSA divs. You don't see too many 18-22 year old guys that can do well in SAASL, it is a man's comp.

Money in the SAASL has been around for an awfully long time, and even before it was, employment prospects were no doubt greatly improved in the aligned workplaces if you were a quality player. If money isn't the reason, then what is ?

All clubs in the ffsa will be forced to have csl teams some are just trying to get it now rather than later. Which clubs have done this that do not have connections to a mother club in the ffsa?

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

swannsong wrote:From my point of view I see the FFSA operating not unlike a Coles-Woolworths-Bunnings, they are looking for numbers (ie bargaining power for things such as the FFA Cup, grants etc) in that they will lure groups in at comparable (or possibly cheaper) rates than the SAASL....in an attempt to drive out the competition and gain dominancy of the market.
I see the SAASL and the E&DJSA as more of an IGA-Foodland collective trying to offer a self managed service without the backing of a larger parent company.
The Collegiate League may be being given special treatment at the moment (not unlike discounted milk in Supermarkets) as a lure to bring them under the FFSA umbrella (kind of a Loss Leader football strategy).
I assume (maybe wrongly) that Collegiate football governance structure and costs could change at the say of the FFSA board (not sure how the agreement is cemented in place ?)...the Clubs that have uprooted themselves from the SAASL would pretty much have to toe the line of any changes or drop back on the end of the SAASL queue.
To compare FFSA Juniors and E&DJSA juniors I (like most parents) can only use my son as an example, my son has been within an FFSA Junior setup for 7 years and I have yet to see anything greater than the instruction and training I personally received as a junior back in the E&DJSA in the late 60s-70s.
Obviously each FFSA Junior setup will be of differing standards, so to lump either side of the Junior setup fence as one being superior or more up to date, is not a true reflection of either standards.

Ultimately I would love for the FFSA, SAASL and E&DJSA (and all other footballing associations) to work in harmony to benefit the code in this state
Unfortunately in the football world the monopoly is FIFA - and it all flows down from there-I don't think comparing a supermarket chain is relevant
I love what the SAASL does and has done for years and it should continue to do so but at some stage we will all have to come under the local body under the world governing association
Nothing against the big amateur clubs but come on - you are big fish in a small
Pond- nothing against!! No offence ! But you will only ever be amateur champs or amateur cup winners- you cannot go any further or expose your club any more - you will say you don't want to and that is fine
but if you tell me you don't care about giving a national cup a crack then you are either blind ignorant or just have your head up your ass.
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Typical Aussie attitude I'm afraid. We can't change it because that's the way it is. You'll be accusing anyone who highlights the issues as a whinger next.

There is no reason why SAASL can't stand on its own two feet for decades to come. Played in a number of clubs in England and never once did we worry about a national cup.

You could argue completely the opposite, the FFSA champions can't call themselves the best in the state whilst SAASL exists in its own right.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

PASC wrote:Unfortunately in the football world the monopoly is FIFA - and it all flows down from there-I don't think comparing a supermarket chain is relevant
I love what the SAASL does and has done for years and it should continue to do so but at some stage we will all have to come under the local body under the world governing association
Pond- nothing against!! No offence ! But you will only ever be amateur champs or amateur cup winners- you cannot go any further or expose your club any more - you will say you don't want to and that is fine
but if you tell me you don't care about giving a national cup a crack then you are either blind ignorant or just have your head up your ass.
I don't care if you think my comparison was relevant or not, that's why it was my opinion and not yours....Mr Merson will understand why I used that comparison :D

Giving a National Cup a crack :lol: ...what is the entrance fee, where will it be played (probably not at an SAASL ground due to facility 'standards').
Realistically, most Amateur Clubs have enough of a challenge to make it into the final stages of the SAASL Challenge Cup...
Polonia (formerly Croydon Park who did make a dent on the SAASL record books) are hitched to an FFSA club so it is understandable that your reasons and values might have another perspective...ie to consolidate you club. But not all SSASL Clubs have the same perspective.
If many Clubs could just win an SAASL Championship or Challenge Cup I would think they might think they have achieved their Club's ultimate goal.
Simples !

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

I really did think it would ruffle a few feathers.....
:D :lol:
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

swannsong wrote:
PASC wrote:Unfortunately in the football world the monopoly is FIFA - and it all flows down from there-I don't think comparing a supermarket chain is relevant
I don't care if you think my comparison was relevant or not, that's why it was my opinion and not yours....Mr Merson will understand why I used that comparison :D

Giving a National Cup a crack :lol: ...what is the entrance fee, where will it be played (probably not at an SAASL ground due to facility 'standards').
Realistically, most Amateur Clubs have enough of a challenge to make it into the final stages of the SAASL Challenge Cup...
Polonia (formerly Croydon Park who did make a dent on the SAASL record books) are hitched to an FFSA club so it is understandable that your reasons and values might have another perspective...ie to consolidate you club. But not all SSASL Clubs have the same perspective.
If many Clubs could just win an SAASL Championship or Challenge Cup I would think they might think they have achieved their Club's ultimate goal.
Simples !
You see I actually care about your opinion and anyone else's as crazy as some of them
May be we are entitled , some make more sense then others....yes you are right I appreciate every club and whatever their goals are .. At the end of the day though all pulling together especially the biggest clubs ( winning an amateur comp all the time will become boring eventually ) will benefit the game and all involved- for the record I get the fee thing- 800$ fora junior is fked up- surely there can be a resolve in this respect to bring everyone together

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

never boring winning a div 1 title, just wish my lot could they've been trying for 30 something years.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

God is an Englishman wrote:Typical Aussie attitude I'm afraid. We can't change it because that's the way it is. You'll be accusing anyone who highlights the issues as a whinger next.

There is no reason why SAASL can't stand on its own two feet for decades to come. Played in a number of clubs in England and never once did we worry about a national cup.

You could argue completely the opposite, the FFSA champions can't call themselves the best in the state whilst SAASL exists in its own right.
Nice try.. I'm not Aussie...
I did say the SAASL should continue...
The ffsa champs not the best in the state??? Lol ok ... Who will be better ?? the Sunday div 1 champs??
Come on....

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

redfred wrote:never boring winning a div 1 title, just wish my lot could they've been trying for 30 something years.
It's not boring wining it once... Or twice... Or maybe even a few times but after years of winning it or having maybe only 2 or 3 other teams to really beat it may get boring... All I'm saying is clubs will eventually and naturally have higher aspirations ....

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

PASC wrote:
redfred wrote:never boring winning a div 1 title, just wish my lot could they've been trying for 30 something years.
It's not boring wining it once... Or twice... Or maybe even a few times but after years of winning it or having maybe only 2 or 3 other teams to really beat it may get boring... All I'm saying is clubs will eventually and naturally have higher aspirations ....
There have been 5 different Clubs win the SAASL Sunday Premier Division in the last 8 years and 5 different Clubs win the SAASL Saturday Premier Division in the last 8 years...
Seems as though the spoils have been shared around in recent years !

I'm sure some of the FFSA Premier and State League sides would also wish the League Winners spoils were shared around more too.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

PASC wrote:
swannsong wrote:From my point of view I see the FFSA operating not unlike a Coles-Woolworths-Bunnings, they are looking for numbers (ie bargaining power for things such as the FFA Cup, grants etc) in that they will lure groups in at comparable (or possibly cheaper) rates than the SAASL....in an attempt to drive out the competition and gain dominancy of the market.

Unfortunately in the football world the monopoly is FIFA - and it all flows down from there-I don't think comparing a supermarket chain is relevant
So what did that make Polonia up until last week? Algae in that same pond?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

swannsong wrote:

Simples !
Yes Swanny was appreciated!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

PASC wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Typical Aussie attitude I'm afraid. We can't change it because that's the way it is. You'll be accusing anyone who highlights the issues as a whinger next.

The ffsa champs not the best in the state??? Lol ok ... Who will be better ?? the Sunday div 1 champs??
Come on....
How do you know they're the best in the state? Can you show me some evidence that the FFSA sides are better than a SAASL div 1 side?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

God is an Englishman wrote:
PASC wrote:

Come on....
How do you know they're the best in the state? Can you show me some evidence that the FFSA sides are better than a SAASL div 1 side?
Please, can you quit the arguing for the sake of arguing.