Promotion

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Promotion

Post by redfred »

If Fulham aren't around 2016 and San Marco and Polonia pulling out does this mean 5th top in div 4 get promoted? 5th in a 8 team league.
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Promotion

Post by bloodypassit »

redfred wrote:If Fulham aren't around 2016 and San Marco and Polonia pulling out does this mean 5th top in div 4 get promoted? 5th in a 8 team league.
Yep .... Not an ideal situation

OnTheBench
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by OnTheBench »

Why not make it 12 team leagues? Seems like it would solve many issues.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

Surely they will have to barely anyone left

reddevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by reddevil »

Gristy wrote:Surely they will have to barely anyone left
Seems to be the same with Saturday Div4 - i agree with the earlier post, maybe time for 3 leagues and extended season

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

Not this year but hopefully on next years agenda
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

bored
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by bored »

redfred wrote:Not this year but hopefully on next years agenda
If you are going to change it for next season, it's only right to make the decision now before the season so all clubs know what they are playing for.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

saturday div 2 is the same 2 relegated 2 out, 3rd accepted raise, 4th declined so lowest relegated stayed.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Question has to be asked, why are the saasl facing this predicament?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Steve#4 wrote:Question has to be asked, why are the saasl facing this predicament?
Sit on hands, pretend all is well whilst a few administrators up top make big $$ and sell the guise that it's a system that ain't broke so no need to fix. A perfect JD model. :wink:
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote:
Steve#4 wrote:Question has to be asked, why are the saasl facing this predicament?
Sit on hands, pretend all is well whilst a few administrators up top make big $$ and sell the guise that it's a system that ain't broke so no need to fix. A perfect JD model. :wink:
Which administrators are making big bucks....think you might be referring to another SA football organization's administrators making big bucks Bomber ?
Most will forget that Saturday Amateurs (SAASL) came about because the then SASF washed their hands of their then 3rd Division.
They (the SAASL) may not get everything right but they have been there to get many of the 'departing' Clubs off the ground and up and running.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
Bomber wrote:
Which administrators are making big bucks....think you might be referring to another SA football organization's administrators making big bucks Bomber ?
Most will forget that Saturday Amateurs (SAASL) came about because the then SASF washed their hands of their then 3rd Division.
They (the SAASL) may not get everything right but they have been there to get many of the 'departing' Clubs off the ground and up and running.
So everything is rosy then. Lots of $$$ in the bank, admin are all driving upgraded Mercs every so often so lets just sit back and accept utopia. Punch ups and offending clubs simply re-badged, refs not showing up (often too scared to), away supporters bring own piss but leaving a mess, dodgy players playing under false names but if all good with that, fine. Many clubs innocent, granted, but whilst I agree sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it, SAASL are hardly a modern day model for growth and development of the sport. Some clubs do well on their own (to develop), but its hardly to do with anything the league will be able to take credit for.
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote: So everything is rosy then. Lots of $$$ in the bank, admin are all driving upgraded Mercs every so often so lets just sit back and accept utopia. Punch ups and offending clubs simply re-badged, refs not showing up (often too scared to), away supporters bring own piss but leaving a mess, dodgy players playing under false names but if all good with that, fine. Many clubs innocent, granted, but whilst I agree sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it, SAASL are hardly a modern day model for growth and development of the sport. Some clubs do well on their own (to develop), but its hardly to do with anything the league will be able to take credit for.
Seen all this at Fed level too..punch ups, flares, fence jumping, bringing own alcohol (check the vehicles), big mess left behind....never said anything wasn't broke in SAASL, but your first sentence above about admin is utter crap....and they can make-made their own monies outside of football (despite me never seeing an upgraded Merc outside of headquarters in the years I have frequented to register players).
Also, if you ever took time to look through the SAASL financials (which are distributed each year and quite transparent) you might see how your 'claims' could be taken as slanderous.
The SAASL have never put themselves forward as a 'modern day model for growth', that's a FED only claim that lures parents (ie me) in to hand over $$$ to send their children along a path that very few get to reach the end of. Many of the amateur teams (particularly up North) have Junior setups that rival FFSA clubs and have produced many players who have gone on to bigger things....
SAASL started as a Sunday league to allow those who worked on Saturdays to have a bit of fun kicking a ball around on a Sunday, not to develop SA or Australia's next Kewell, Viduka, Cahill etc...
The SAASL is affected by many factors...employment hours have changed...expanding the Saturday divisions in recent years ... playing fields are being chewed up by developments....etc.
Funny how recently so many Fed teams thought so highly of their own organization that many wanted to leave but were too afraid to..
What's happening with local football has more to do with pooling resources than other factors...volunteer numbers are down, no one retires to referee anymore because they can keep on playing...Cs - Over 35s-Masters etc....if Clubs want to go across to the Collegiate Divisions that is their committees's choice...having refereed and played in both Collegiate and SAASL, I don't understand the fuss....if it works for your club go for it ! And if dissing the competition you are leaving and praising the one you are moving to helps make you feel more important, go for that too !
But more importantly....enjoy another beer ! ( and sprint toward your 50,000th enlightening post :D shouldn't take long )

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

swannsong wrote:
Bomber wrote: So everything is rosy then. Lots of $$$ in the bank, admin are all driving upgraded Mercs every so often so lets just sit back and accept utopia. Punch ups and offending clubs simply re-badged, refs not showing up (often too scared to), away supporters bring own piss but leaving a mess, dodgy players playing under false names but if all good with that, fine. Many clubs innocent, granted, but whilst I agree sometimes if it ain't broke don't fix it, SAASL are hardly a modern day model for growth and development of the sport. Some clubs do well on their own (to develop), but its hardly to do with anything the league will be able to take credit for.
Seen all this at Fed level too..punch ups, flares, fence jumping, bringing own alcohol (check the vehicles), big mess left behind....never said anything wasn't broke in SAASL, but your first sentence above about admin is utter crap....and they can make-made their own monies outside of football (despite me never seeing an upgraded Merc outside of headquarters in the years I have frequented to register players).
Also, if you ever took time to look through the SAASL financials (which are distributed each year and quite transparent) you might see how your 'claims' could be taken as slanderous.
The SAASL have never put themselves forward as a 'modern day model for growth', that's a FED only claim that lures parents (ie me) in to hand over $$$ to send their children along a path that very few get to reach the end of. Many of the amateur teams (particularly up North) have Junior setups that rival FFSA clubs and have produced many players who have gone on to bigger things....
SAASL started as a Sunday league to allow those who worked on Saturdays to have a bit of fun kicking a ball around on a Sunday, not to develop SA or Australia's next Kewell, Viduka, Cahill etc...
The SAASL is affected by many factors...employment hours have changed...expanding the Saturday divisions in recent years ... playing fields are being chewed up by developments....etc.
Funny how recently so many Fed teams thought so highly of their own organization that many wanted to leave but were too afraid to..
What's happening with local football has more to do with pooling resources than other factors...volunteer numbers are down, no one retires to referee anymore because they can keep on playing...Cs - Over 35s-Masters etc....if Clubs want to go across to the Collegiate Divisions that is their committees's choice...having refereed and played in both Collegiate and SAASL, I don't understand the fuss....if it works for your club go for it ! And if dissing the competition you are leaving and praising the one you are moving to helps make you feel more important, go for that too !
But more importantly....enjoy another beer ! ( and sprint toward your 50,000th enlightening post :D shouldn't take long )
You raise valid points and I know your passion for the SAASL, and once upon a time it was a decent enough platform for those wanting a "kick around" and playing for free.

However, as you said, the goalposts have to move now and then with changing times, and the top divs nowadays seem to be little more than a vehicle for ex-Feds to prop up the league for $$$ and not having to train as much.

I keep hearing a lot of why still only 10 teams in a league? How can a team finishing mid-table get promoted so easily because a few clubs fold? Is it still 2-0 for a forfeit? From memory it was one of the last leagues around to adopt 3 points for a win.

I hate many aspects of FFSA, but I can see they are at least trying to move the game forward albeit with minimal success.

I know little about Collegiate League, so cant comment about it at all but this has nothing to do with Polonia leaving SAASL, that was their (players) own decision.

End of, I played many years in SAASL and enjoyed it, but looking around today, its still the same old same old and if the majority like it that way, then all is well.

Enjoy your weekend. :)
Ignore this signature

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

I think we ( Polonia- Croydon and amateurs ) have taken a massive step in the right direction for the club as a whole... After debating and deliberating this makes sense in so many ways... People were used to their comfort zones, we have been in the SAASL for 20 years, the league obviously does a lot of things well and also could improve in a few aspects. With a lot of ex players around the amateurs this was probably going to happen sooner or later. A few heads from both committees deserve credit for making this come about- even I wasn't 100% convinced !
I'm looking forward to the super Saturdays - seeing a ton of people there all day, making the club thrive can only be a good thing.
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote: You raise valid points and I know your passion for the SAASL......
My passion is for FOOTBALL and not the politics or divisiveness of football in this State.
I defend SAASL and the E&DJSA because they are the organization that have mostly allowed me to continue to exercise that passion for nearly 50 years .
I won't try to pretend that I fully understand why the FFSA, SAASL and E&DJSA aren't one cohesive organization, or can work things out to operate as separate entities under one 'governing' body, just wished they would.
If only to reduce the level of constant jibes from either side of the fence where the grass is apparently greener (but one just costs more to mow :) )

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

I'm guessing when polonai CSL team play away or your not on a super Saturday you won't be able to watch or probably help out at Croydon kings ?

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

will be one of the what ifs/... what if Polonia CSL is away for every Polonia FFSA home game.... what if the pitch is in poor condition after the FFSA Seniors match will the committee want the CSL game to be played after ....

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

redfred wrote:I'm guessing when polonai CSL team play away or your not on a super Saturday you won't be able to watch or probably help out at Croydon kings ?
we'll have to make every home game a super saturday :D
surely this would be attractive to the opposition- coming to play on a super league pitch with potentially a few hundred people there on a saturday night under lights, few drinks at the bar afterwards, surely arrangements can be made ..... if the FFSA want their club to have amateur teams they have to be accommodating with scheduling- there is also talk of a Women's team; they will also want a good time slot so we will all just have to get along :wink: playing Friday nights as Bomber mentioned ......frees up a whole weekend for some...
now i just need a mon-fri 9-5 job !
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

I was under the impression the FFSA will be forcing all FFSA clubs and anyone affiliated to them that they must have CSL teams, these are not decisions by clubs but rather setting up for what will be forced in future, which to me makes perfect sense as only the affiliated clubs are all leaving at this stage but who knows.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

decision to re brand CSL as ffsa ameteurs was postponed another 12 months at their last AGM

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ctrl-Alt-Del »

Gristy wrote:decision to re brand CSL as ffsa ameteurs was postponed another 12 months at their last AGM
maybe so they can re-brand with the correct spelling :shock:
Why is everyone always telling people on computers to hit me ?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bomber wrote:I hate many aspects of FFSA, but I can see they are at least trying to move the game forward albeit with minimal success.
If the FFSA told me today was saturday, I'd get my diary out and check it. Have had to deal with a few of them there and I'm afraid to say it but they're incompetent.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:I hate many aspects of FFSA, but I can see they are at least trying to move the game forward albeit with minimal success.
If the FFSA told me today was saturday, I'd get my diary out and check it. Have had to deal with a few of them there and I'm afraid to say it but they're incompetent.
Who cares!
Super Saturday!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

PASC wrote:
Who cares!
Super Saturday!!
If you think it's best for your club then good for you and I hope it's a success. Won't change my opinion on those muppets though

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

It's not only your opinion... Believe me

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

PASC wrote:
Who cares!
Super Saturday!!
If you think it's best for your club then good for you and I hope it's a success. Won't change my opinion on those muppets though
uni sa played unregistered players 170 seperate times or thereabouts last season in CSL, sounds like fine was waived due to csl and uni sa chairman being the same person ~_~

ROCSC1980
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ROCSC1980 »

Well your half right..I guess... The gist of it was that Uni SA thought the Uni SA insurance registration was one in the same as registering with the FFSA. So the majority of their players were playing assuming they had done the right thing. The CSL Executive work hard on identifying such issues and when it was identified that Uni SA played unregistered players (albeit not intentionally) the CSL deducted all of thier points and did fine them. The CSL chairman resigned and the majority of the fine was suspended as the actual fine would have ended the Club. So some good common sense (consideration) was used in the judgement. The old CSL Vice Chairman is now the new Chairman.

On the subject of SAASL teams joining the FFSA. It appears the clubs who left for FFSA see the value with being in a league run by the official governing body. The new FFSA Amateur League is coming in 2017 so it may be the start of a trend but its too early to make that call. SAASL prob dont even care, they own Sunday afternoons and seem happy to sit on their $1mil.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Do you really think teams care about whether the league is playing under the official body or not.

FFSA, AFC and FIFA have proved themselves to be undoubtedly useless in every respect. Two of them are corrupt to the core and one of them is just plain useless - I won't call them corrupt as I can't back up that comment. However, it would explain a lot.

ROCSC1980
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ROCSC1980 »

Well else would Polonia players vote to switch leagues?
I don't disagree with your comments, but the CSL is not run by the FFSA. It has its own Executive who do a really good job.
When issues / problems present themselves there normally there is an equitable outcome.