FFSA V SAASL

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

FFSA V SAASL

Post by Jay Walking »

As some of you may know, I moved to Brisbane about 3 years ago. Looking at myself in the mirror one day, I realised I need to get out and do some running so thought I would find a club to play for in Brisbane.

There were a few to choose from around where I live and so after about 3 minutes of research, headed out to training at a club. It all went well, very much like Amateurs but the playing surface was excellent.

After my 3 sessions on of the coaches grabbed me and said that I had made it through the trials (I had no idea I was on trial) and that they wanted me to join (Clearly they know nothing about the game) I was going to likely be in the City 2 or City 5 team. City 2 would be about Div 2/3 SAASL standard from what I can work out. I need to sign up and pay in full before I could play any friendly's though as Football Queensland (FQ) don't allow you to play otherwise.

The registration cost was $670. Maybe I was a bit lucky at Ingle Farm as we use to spend hours at committee meetings arguing about should rego fees be $160 or $180. I asked what I got for the $670 and all that was included was a polo shirt. I had to buy socks but they would supply me with the playing kit. I tried to excuse my ignorance and asked if this club was a really high rego fee club for some reason only to be told that they were about mid range. On doing some more research, they were right. I could go to a club that would charge $500 but then I had to pay $10 a week to play.

Registration with FQ (the FFSA of Queensland) is roughly $300-$350 to play in their league. By my own admission, I'm an average player. I've won some trophies but I was lucky to play in some really good quality reserve sides which helped a lot. I'm 36 , unfit and really only looking to play for some fitness and social aspect.

I haven't been back and nor will I. Despite been an average player, I generally like to get involved in a club. I was looking forward to having a beer and putting a few $$ over the bar to help support the club but the reality is that $670 is a stupid amount of money for someone like me to play the game.

I write this, my first post in probably 2 years as a warning that the SAASL would want to make sure that they don't get screwed over, thus screwing over everyone involved at Amateur level, if they joined the FFSA. I'm certainly nothing special playing wise but I did commit a lot of time to Ingle Farm when I was living in Adelaide.

My two cents anyway

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: FFSA V SAASL

Post by Robbo »

you made it thru the trials ?? :shock:

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

Good post you can see the value in the SAASL for its member clubs running the competition the way they are.

Geez $600 odd to register, woweeee

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Good to hear from you Jay & congratulations on Ingle Farms first Div 1 Championship! I know you were not here to witness it but a lot of credit has to go to yourself for the hard work you put into Ingle Farm over the years.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Robbo wrote:you made it thru the trials ?? :shock:
At $600 plus to register - everyone makes it through the trials!
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

Interesting post.

I know you probably don't know the answer to these question but out of interest if there was a separate body running amateurs in Queensland what was the cost of player registration prior to joining Football Queensland? I mean that would be one way to actually compare apples with apples.

But I agree it is a lot of money to play football and something that needs to be considered carefully if discussions with the FFSA are ever entered into again.
Agia Lavra 1821!

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

Jay Walking wrote:As some of you may know, I moved to Brisbane about 3 years ago. Looking at myself in the mirror one day, I realised I need to get out and do some running so thought I would find a club to play for in Brisbane.

There were a few to choose from around where I live and so after about 3 minutes of research, headed out to training at a club. It all went well, very much like Amateurs but the playing surface was excellent.

After my 3 sessions on of the coaches grabbed me and said that I had made it through the trials (I had no idea I was on trial) and that they wanted me to join (Clearly they know nothing about the game) I was going to likely be in the City 2 or City 5 team. City 2 would be about Div 2/3 SAASL standard from what I can work out. I need to sign up and pay in full before I could play any friendly's though as Football Queensland (FQ) don't allow you to play otherwise.

The registration cost was $670. Maybe I was a bit lucky at Ingle Farm as we use to spend hours at committee meetings arguing about should rego fees be $160 or $180. I asked what I got for the $670 and all that was included was a polo shirt. I had to buy socks but they would supply me with the playing kit. I tried to excuse my ignorance and asked if this club was a really high rego fee club for some reason only to be told that they were about mid range. On doing some more research, they were right. I could go to a club that would charge $500 but then I had to pay $10 a week to play.

Registration with FQ (the FFSA of Queensland) is roughly $300-$350 to play in their league. By my own admission, I'm an average player. I've won some trophies but I was lucky to play in some really good quality reserve sides which helped a lot. I'm 36 , unfit and really only looking to play for some fitness and social aspect.

I haven't been back and nor will I. Despite been an average player, I generally like to get involved in a club. I was looking forward to having a beer and putting a few $$ over the bar to help support the club but the reality is that $670 is a stupid amount of money for someone like me to play the game.

I write this, my first post in probably 2 years as a warning that the SAASL would want to make sure that they don't get screwed over, thus screwing over everyone involved at Amateur level, if they joined the FFSA. I'm certainly nothing special playing wise but I did commit a lot of time to Ingle Farm when I was living in Adelaide.

My two cents anyway

great post mate
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

So
are there lots of teams in Brisbane ( amateur or semi pro like ? )
considering brisbane is mostly rugby, could it be why the $$$ are high is because clubs have to pay over the top for facilities ?

An issue here locally,,,, SAAAFL teams are closing, and players follow the big bucks, especially in the country league , causing player drain amongst clubs...
Could happen to SAASL ,,, although at some stage for the benefit of the game here, both bodies need to come together and develop an understanding to fall under the one umbrella without excessive increases to its members ( the players/clubs ) . If they cap prices rises with CPI , that would be fair or if a club wants to fund its own expansion

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:Interesting post.

I know you probably don't know the answer to these question but out of interest if there was a separate body running amateurs in Queensland what was the cost of player registration prior to joining Football Queensland? I mean that would be one way to actually compare apples with apples.

But I agree it is a lot of money to play football and something that needs to be considered carefully if discussions with the FFSA are ever entered into again.
Maybe here we could compare costs at a collegiate club to costs at an amateur club.

I don't see why SAASL would ever want to enter into conversations with the FFSA on this matter. The only thing they could really offer would be entry to the FFSA Cup. Why fix what's not broken?

However, I note that my sons fees are close to $700 and mine are around $150.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

God is an Englishman wrote:

Maybe here we could compare costs at a collegiate club to costs at an amateur club.

I don't see why SAASL would ever want to enter into conversations with the FFSA on this matter. The only thing they could really offer would be entry to the FFSA Cup. Why fix what's not broken?

Indeed we could compare collegiate fees to SAASL clubs. Is there a major difference?
Agia Lavra 1821!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:

Indeed we could compare collegiate fees to SAASL clubs. Is there a major difference?
I don't know. It would be hard to compare because a lot of amateur clubs are also over charging. Heard of some clubs charging $300 upwards.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

very little difference between SAASL and Collegiate in SA in regards to costs.

I think overall we are pretty lucky whether you are with SAASL or CSL the costs of playing are not that high.

The clubs that charge more are often supplying the players with gear anyway.

I think we are pretty lucky in SA

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

POLONIAROCS wrote:very little difference between SAASL and Collegiate in SA in regards to costs.

I think overall we are pretty lucky whether you are with SAASL or CSL the costs of playing are not that high.

The clubs that charge more are often supplying the players with gear anyway.

I think we are pretty lucky in SA
with gear hey? what type of gear.......? wink wink

The Northern Lights
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Northern Lights »

Yeah! Football fedreration australia are a rip off, i moved tae perth a few year back & they charge 420bux tae play fecking over 35's, a joke! The club says its the federation that makes it so expensive! By christ i miss the saasl!!!!!

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Jay Walking wrote:As some of you may know, I moved to Brisbane about 3 years ago. Looking at myself in the mirror one day, I realised I need to get out and do some running so thought I would find a club to play for in Brisbane.

My two cents anyway
Where abouts are you living And what club?

johnpd
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

fees

Post by johnpd »

fees
Last edited by johnpd on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

johnpd wrote:Pulteney Old Scholars are $270, for that you get to pack all the cabernet away at the end of training, help set up the BBQ on game day, put the nets up (and down) cook the snags, stock up the eskies with beer, take the piss out of the Scottish lads and now and again you get to kick a football :)
Like this.
Unfortunately most saasl clubs they dont get the extras you state. Thats for the committee or rusted on old farts as most c,b and a players have their games and training reigemes (when they feel they need to turn up) to concentrate on. :D

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

johnpd wrote:Pulteney Old Scholars are $270, for that you get to pack all the cabernet away at the end of training, help set up the BBQ on game day, put the nets up (and down) cook the snags, stock up the eskies with beer, take the piss out of the Scottish lads and now and again you get to kick a football :)
I'm assuming some kit is involved as well for that money

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

You don't get front of shirt sponsor to fund yours?
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
You don't get front of shirt sponsor to fund yours?
My clubs fees are nearly half that amount and includes shorts, socks and a polo shirt. It

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

K-mart shopping in the east/north-east probably allows for such cheapness.......
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:K-mart shopping in the east/north-east probably allows for such cheapness.......
I don't think Kmart sells Nike

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:K-mart shopping in the east/north-east probably allows for such cheapness.......
You can buy "Rolex" watches for 20 Euros in some countries too.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
You can buy "Rolex" watches for 20 Euros in some countries too.
I don't think you can in Kmart though

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

haywood djablowme wrote:Good to hear from you Jay & congratulations on Ingle Farms first Div 1 Championship! I know you were not here to witness it but a lot of credit has to go to yourself for the hard work you put into Ingle Farm over the years.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Cheers mate. In fairness, the players and coaches should get the credit as they do the hard work. Its great to see the clubrooms up and the club getting bigger and better every year which I had a part to play in.

Good luck for the season this year, Grove look like a good side.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

I know, thank god for tropical storms. Brought everyone down to my speed :lol:

I've decided not to play. Its just way too much money to play.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

nachoman wrote:So
are there lots of teams in Brisbane ( amateur or semi pro like ? )
considering brisbane is mostly rugby, could it be why the $$$ are high is because clubs have to pay over the top for facilities ?

An issue here locally,,,, SAAAFL teams are closing, and players follow the big bucks, especially in the country league , causing player drain amongst clubs...
Could happen to SAASL ,,, although at some stage for the benefit of the game here, both bodies need to come together and develop an understanding to fall under the one umbrella without excessive increases to its members ( the players/clubs ) . If they cap prices rises with CPI , that would be fair or if a club wants to fund its own expansion
There are a lot of teams spread throughout the state. The best way I can explain it is

Queensland Premier League - Made up of teams from all over the state (i.e. Cairns, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Brisbane)
Brisbane Premier League - Kind of like an elite Amateur League. They don't have the points systems like the FFSA or QPL has. Has teams from South East QLD
Capital Leagues - The next level down with just teams from Bris
City Leagues - Amateur Level for just Brisbane.

Each region like Toowoomba, Cairns, Townsville, Gold Coast have their own league as well.

So yeah, there are lots of clubs.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Steve#4 wrote:

My two cents anyway
Where abouts are you living And what club?
I was in Graceville but just moved to Fairfield. Trained with Taringa and spoke to Toowong.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Played rugby league for graceville through my twenties, was living in Toowong at the time.

My boys play at Annerly and I coach juniors there, just a short skip over the river.

At least you are on the right side of town now at Fairfield :D