Phoenix Cup - Annual Tournament for the Disabled

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Phoenix Cup - Annual Tournament for the Disabled

Post by Gabon »

To all in the Football Community,

This years Phoenix Cup will be contested for the 7th year at Ladywood Reserve, Corner of Milne and Ladywood Roads, Modbury North from 10am until 4pm this Saturday the 7th November.

There will be 16 teams competing from the majority of disabled organisations in South Australia.

This will be the 7th year of the Cup and the reason we started this now annual event is that there is limited access for people with a disability to participate in a sport we all love and take for granted that we can participate in. This event allows these participants that opportunity.

My goal when we started was for someone (FFSA, SAASL) to recognise the requirement for the disabled and I’m pleased to say this has been achieved with one of the participating organisations (Bedford) agreeing with the requirement and are now going to take over the event as of next year to make it bigger and better. The requirement for the opportunity has been proven with the participant numbers with an increase of teams from 4 to when we commenced to 16 for this years event

The other goal was to incorporate these participants into their local club and community be it in the form as a player or volunteer. This us where YOU the FOOTBALL COMMUNITY come in, I ask you to come out and watch this weekend and consider how you can incorporate these participants and potentially provide an opportunity to be involved at your club. I have my ideas but NEED your support.

In this I must THANK the local people and clubs who have assisted in sponsorship (otehr sponsors listed in match day program) to allow us to put this annual event on at NO COST to either the participants or their organisations.

Thank you to :

• Modbury Jets Amateur Football Club – hosts, sponsors and volunteers throughout club
• Brahma Lodge Soccer Club – Matty Pepper – MP Water Trucks
• Parafield Gardens Soccer Club – Steve Roadley – Mawson Lakes Hotel
• Para Hills East Soccer Club – Rocco Fimmano – R & F Plasterers
• Southern Knights Soccer Club – Richard Finlayson – Quality Training & Hospitality College
• Liverpool and Arsenal Adelaide Supporters Clubs – Matthew Selby and Matthew Mays
• Adelaide United – Signed ball for the Raffle, posters and stickers

With this sponsorship and support we are able to provide the participants with the following:

• Strips
• Shin Pads
• Water
• BBQ Lunch
• Medals and Trophies
• Participation pack (Hat, Adelaide United Poster and Sticker, Lollies etc.)

We will be holding a raffle on the day to raise funds to cover the costs of us running this event and if you can attend your support of this would be much appreciated.

This isn’t a club event it’s a FOOTBALL COMMUNITY one and I ask you to come out and support this event on the day with your attendance. Full Bar and the famous Charcoal BBQ will be there for the supporters.

Should you have any further queries regarding this event, please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0431 400 085, or if you prefer e-mail rmogg@peopleschoicecu.com.au

Thank you,
Ryan Mogg
Chairman of the Phoenix Cup Committee
Last edited by Gabon on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Phoenix Cup - Annual Tournament for the Disabled

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Great work Gabon, my younger brother competes in this every year and looks forward to it the day after it's finished. Can't shut the kid up about this years comp. at the minute. Well done to all the people who sponsor, organise and volunteer on the day.

Make sure you get along to have a watch, will be another great day I'm sure.
HA'WAY THE LADS

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

Your a drinking shiraz champion Moggy all the best for a top day, well done everyone involved

FoundIt
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FoundIt »

great work gabon, hope it went well for all involved.
Im closer than you think

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

As always it was another superb day. A fantastic thing that's been done by the guys who set it up. It's grown from strength to strength every year.

Channel 7 News were there for a while as well but don't know if they used any of their coverage.

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

i kind of drove all the way down there on sunday and then realised it was saturday if there is anywhere donations can be made let me know :)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Gristy wrote:i kind of drove all the way down there on sunday and then realised it was saturday if there is anywhere donations can be made let me know :)
Hopefully Gabon sees this (I'll send him a message) and can let you know some details.

Thanks for at least trying to come along though.