Sat div.2 halfway update

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

bluewater
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Sat div.2 halfway update

Post by bluewater »

Halfway mark of the season and thought I would give my 2 cents worth on club standings so far.

Adel Pumas - Have made a great start to the season and a few more wins should see them secure a promotion spot to div.1 next season. I think this is a club that is on the rise and I think with a few more signings they could hold themselves well in div.1 if they get there. Time will tell.

Salis Villa - Very much like the Pumas, they have had a great first half of the season and promotion is there for the taking as well as a possible title. I think Villa have to make sure that they remain disciplined throughout their remaining matches otherwise suspensions could be their downfall. Judging by the table, the title will be fought out between the Pumas and Villa and I think that Villa may just win it.

Gleeson - The points that they have secured suggest that they are still a chance to gain promotion but a lot would have to go there way in the second half of the season. On the flip side they are not out of the relegation zone just yet and would have to gain quite a few more points to avoid the drop. I predict that they will finish mid to low table but will play div.2 again next season.

USC Lion - In the same boat as Gleeson, they can still challenge for promotion but I think that they will be doing well to avoid the drop. For me they are still a div.2 standard side and i think their current standing is a good reflection on where they should be. Always enjoy playing at Lions home ground.

Titans - For me they have been a little disappointing this season as I thought they would be be a genuine promotion side but have yet to show any consistent form. They have a lot of work to do if they are going to make it to div.1 next year but they are also a side that is capable to string a series of wins together and I think that they can. Will it be enough to get to div.1 next year??? I seriously think they can do it but doubt they will (that doesn't make much sense haha). Good luck to them.

Cobras - They have made a promising start to this season for a side that has come up from div.3 but like all new sides that get promoted, they wouldn't want to slip back to playing in the third division and they will need to secure further points in the second half of the season to avoid being relegated. Solid side that should avoid the drop.

Cougars - This team is my tip to for a late surge during the second half of the season. They fight, scrap and claw their way to securing points and this will be needed when the grounds start to become heavy. Saying that they are probably too far off the pace to make a genuine surge for promotion but I think they will definitely shape the table. Enter Cougar Park at your own risk.

Hawks - This side has been very disappointing to say the least as they were in div.1 only a few seasons ago and had a lot of talent at the club. Where has it all gone wrong? They should be a club playing div.1 football and I thought that they would be a certain title favourite but they are in danger of dropping to div.3. Can they turn it around and make a surge for promotion? Anything less will be a huge disappointment and if they were to get relegated then that would be disastrous.

Vipers - Very disappointed to see the Vipers in such a low position on the ladder. They are similar to the Hawks where they have tasted div.1 football and should be a club that is striving to get back there. Saying that i'm sure they are trying their best but questions have to be asked just what is happening down at the Viperdome??? Still got good food though :-)

Flinders - No surprise for me to see Flinders at the foot of the table and I think that they are going to find themselves back in div.3 come the end of the season. For some reason I have always enjoyed playing at Flinders so for my own personal thoughts I hope they can find a way to stay in div.2 but I can't see it happening.

Just some of my opinions and thoughts. Yes it has been a slow day at work this morning.
God luck to all teams for the reminder of the season.

Jonesy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Sat div.2 halfway update

Post by Jonesy5 »

speaking for myself best team we have played was villa by a stretch, Can't split all the rest bar vipers and flinders who I thought were very disappointing, but on any day in this league anyone can beat anyone as has shown, thought Gleeson would do better after playing them early but it is a long season and only takes a few wins to change season aims

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Yeah puma's would have to be the team to beat by a long shot....
I dont really rate villa too highly and feel they will drop points....
I was impressed with titans but knowing they have lost arguably the best striker in the league plus a couple off there better players who knows how they will fill that massive void....
Gleeson and lion I am guessing are hot and cold....
Cobras I think are slowly building and may start stringing some wins again...
Cougars are cougars.....they will just scrap the season out and are going to win games they should lose and lose games they should win....
Vipers will do all right....
And flinders by all reports all ready are down but will fight to the end....

Going to be an interesting second half....first and second are puma's and villas to lose....and 3rd to 10th is going to go down to the wire!! Going to be a few surprises especially after the last couple rounds of results...

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Pumas - theirs to lose. Dropped points in Round 1 and all wins since then, so you tell me who'll step up to the plate and stop them. Having said that, they've not been in this position before, so it could get the better of them.

Villa - will finish in the Top 2, I don't see them giving up an 8 point lead from 3rd. I still remember the pain of their comeback to steal the title in '09 on the last day. Their squad is experienced enough to take them up, and the consistency in which they win games is enough to get to 38 points and promotion.

Gleeson - will drop off. They are just short of quality behind their frontline.

Titans - so I'm assuming Pro is on holidays, if so will be hard to see them stay in games unless some of the better boys pick up the slack (which they're yet to do).

USC Lion - a good young squad that will do far better next year, but 4th is as high as they'll go.

Cobras - a bit surprised they're picking up the points they are, but to their credit they have and I see being safe but 6th is probably their limit.

Cougars - like someone said, same as usual, winning games no-one expects them to and could probably nick points off Pumas if they tried. Not easy to beat but not a team that finds winning easy. Safe in D2.

Hawks - the team that was in D1 was completely different to this team. I am surprised to see them pick up the points they have the last couple rounds, unless some of those old faces have returned. Not looking good for them however.

Vipers - a bit like Cougars, play best in the challenging fixtures and vice versa. We know our best is yet to come and are disappointed but relaxed after the first 9 games. We have never finished lower than 4th in D2 so we will push hard to climb the ladder.

Flinders - a lot better than their results suggest, unless that striker of theirs has left. I commend the way they try to play and were a tougher opponent than some others we've played to be honest. They're not out of it yet. Whoever they beat is in trouble.