LotG - Protecting the Keeper

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

LotG - Protecting the Keeper

Post by Judge Judy »

Where does this come from, the whole 'must protect the keeper' thing? A referee said on the weekend that they must protect the keeper, this was after they were queried on a freekick given to the keeper. Had a quick browse through the Laws of the Game and couldn't see anything referencing it. I'd have thought keepers can protect themself better than anyone else on the park.
Ingle Farm Amateur Soccer Club
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ifasc
Facebook: http://facebook.com/ifasc

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: LotG - Protecting the Keeper

Post by chunky-monkey »

Seen a situation yesterday where a player was cautioned, and sent off as it was his 2nd for contesting a 50/50 ball as the keeper was charging outside his area. Both players entitled to go for the ball and was no malice in the challenge. Thought it was a poor decision by the referee.

Adolf Hĭtler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolf Hĭtler »

I'e played in goal all my life and always thought they were over protected and often shook my head at free kicks that were given my way.
I am nobody
Nobody is perfect
Therefore I am perfect.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

I was a referee in a game on the weekend. Similar situation from a corner.

Corner is taken and a ball is floated into the box. Attacker comes in from one side to header the ball.

Keeper comes from the other side and hits his own player + the attacker but misses the ball as the attacker gets their 1st.

The defending team all kick up a fuss that I didnt reward a freekick.

When a forward beats the keeper to the ball and they collide with the keeper everyone kicks up a fuss.

When a keeper beats the forward to the ball and punches it and then collides with a forward nothing is said.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

There is no where in the laws that the goalkeeper must be protected.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

I think goalkeepers are protected somewhat because they are a unique species and often the most intellectually superior player that a team may have. :)
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

chemical brother
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by chemical brother »

Well in every game I've played I've never been protected protect myself n let who ever know I want that ball ask some of the defenders
Lifestyles thru Chemistry

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

chemical brother wrote:Well in every game I've played I've never been protected protect myself n let who ever know I want that ball ask some of the defenders
good to see you back

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

Judge Judy wrote:Where does this come from, the whole 'must protect the keeper' thing? A referee said on the weekend that they must protect the keeper, this was after they were queried on a freekick given to the keeper. Had a quick browse through the Laws of the Game and couldn't see anything referencing it. I'd have thought keepers can protect themself better than anyone else on the park.
As a moderator who should know better why didn't you post tis in the referees and lotg forum?
I need a drink

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

It is an offence to restrict the movement of the goalkeeper by unfairly impeding him
So it goes to the ref if he thinks a player is fairly challenging for the ball or if he's just jumping at the keeper to get in his way.

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

Sotally Tober wrote:
Judge Judy wrote:Where does this come from, the whole 'must protect the keeper' thing? A referee said on the weekend that they must protect the keeper, this was after they were queried on a freekick given to the keeper. Had a quick browse through the Laws of the Game and couldn't see anything referencing it. I'd have thought keepers can protect themself better than anyone else on the park.
As a moderator who should know better why didn't you post tis in the referees and lotg forum?
I wanted to address the Amateur League community.

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

Yet when someone wants to ask the SA football community about the Def Leppard tour about their tour it gets moved to the music forum.
I need a drink

Judge Judy
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by Judge Judy »

Sotally Tober wrote:Yet when someone wants to ask the SA football community about the Def Leppard tour about their tour it gets moved to the music forum.
I'm sure if the same moderator that moved that thread comes across this one, they'll do something similar.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Judge Judy wrote:
Sotally Tober wrote:
I wanted to address the Amateur League community.
Was this in reference to an amateur league game that you were playing in? Are you questioning a rule in the amateur league specifically? If so carry on.

POLONIAROCS wrote:I was a referee in a game on the weekend. Similar situation from a corner.

Corner is taken and a ball is floated into the box. Attacker comes in from one side to header the ball.

Keeper comes from the other side and hits his own player + the attacker but misses the ball as the attacker gets their 1st.

When a forward beats the keeper to the ball and they collide with the keeper everyone kicks up a fuss.

When a keeper beats the forward to the ball and punches it and then collides with a forward nothing is said.
Did you award the penalty??
HA'WAY THE LADS

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

Played the advantage and allowed the goal.
I need a drink

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

POLONIAROCS wrote:I was a referee in a game on the weekend. Similar situation from a corner.

Did you award the penalty??[/quote]

No penalty was given

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

Why would you award a penalty if a goal has been scored?
I need a drink

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Sotally Tober wrote:Why would you award a penalty if a goal has been scored?
He never said that a goal was scored but in the instance it was, advantage-play on-goal is the correct scanerio here. In the instance there was no advantage and given the keeper hit the attacker on the way through I would have thought a penalty would be awarded.
HA'WAY THE LADS

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

POLONIAROCS wrote:Keeper comes from the other side and hits his own player + the attacker but misses the ball as the attacker gets their 1st.
It was a pretty bold statement.
I need a drink

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Sotally Tober wrote:
POLONIAROCS wrote:Keeper comes from the other side and hits his own player + the attacker but misses the ball as the attacker gets their 1st.
It was a pretty bold statement.
your point?
HA'WAY THE LADS

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

Sotally Tober wrote:Play the advantage and allow the goal.
I need a drink

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

I love the free kick for blocking the goalkeepers run on a corner just step into the attackers back call ref and 99 times in a 100 u get the free kick...

I was bewilded the other day when I got told by the ref to not be so aggressive going for the ball and to not protect myself with my knee...so I so think the refs are trying to even it up a little bit and protect the player as well in challenges with the keeper

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

No one (keeper included) should be going up with their knee out.
I need a drink

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Sotally Tober wrote:No one (keeper included) should be going up with their knee out.
One of the first thing any keeper gets taught is to jump and protect yourself with a knee up...

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

I never did it, nor did I feel a need to.
I need a drink

brushmancity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by brushmancity »

Hey I played for over 20 years from 74 and believe me in those days you had to protect yourself. These days if you breathe on a keeper they'll get a free. The whole game is TOO SOFT.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Sotally Tober wrote:No one (keeper included) should be going up with their knee out.
Agreed, I also don't like keepers lashing out or barging into players who run across their line (but don't make contact), refs in amateurs let a lot of this stuff go.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

dinozoff
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dinozoff »

n8 wrote:
One of the first thing any keeper gets taught is to jump and protect yourself with a knee up...
+1

Protects you from coping an elbow to the stomach from the striker scum
Dan Birdwell - You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Try running forward and jumping to your highest point with out your driving knee going up, you'd look like Superman with out a cape.
The main reason for driving your knee through the jump is for height and stability not to hit people.

As for players jumping into GK's taking a high ball and claiming they were trying to get the ball, being the GK can raise their arms it means we take the ball well above the height a player could with their head, so in fact if they were challenging for the ball realistically the player should be jumping at least a metre or so behind the GK assuming GK is taking the ball at the highest point, so 90% of players 'challenging GKs for the ball' are merely jumping into the GK hoping the collision will make him spill the ball.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

n8 wrote:
Should be a free kick every time. If a midfielder jumped like that making contact it would be a free kick, so why not if its a keeper.