LotG - Protecting the Keeper

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: LotG - Protecting the Keeper

Post by God is an Englishman »

paul merson wrote:
Sotally Tober wrote:No one (keeper included) should be going up with their knee out.
Try running forward and jumping to your highest point with out your driving knee going up, you'd look like Superman with out a cape.
The main reason for driving your knee through the jump is for height and stability not to hit people.

As for players jumping into GK's taking a high ball and claiming they were trying to get the ball, being the GK can raise their arms it means we take the ball well above the height a player could with their head, so in fact if they were challenging for the ball realistically the player should be jumping at least a metre or so behind the GK assuming GK is taking the ball at the highest point, so 90% of players 'challenging GKs for the ball' are merely jumping into the GK hoping the collision will make him spill the ball.
Completely agree, you shouldn't be able to jump against any player taller than you as you're not going to win it.

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

God is an Englishman wrote:
n8 wrote:
Sotally Tober wrote:No one (keeper included) should be going up with their knee out.
One of the first thing any keeper gets taught is to jump and protect yourself with a knee up...
Should be a free kick every time. If a midfielder jumped like that making contact it would be a free kick, so why not if its a keeper.
Kidding right? Spoken like someone who has never pulled on the gloves. When you go for a high (or even not so high) ball, your arms are up and out, leaving you completely exposed to cheap late body hits from dodgy strikers (possibly even yourself?). You should see some strikers eyes light up, even when they have no chance of getting the ball. A good knee keeps them honest. Most collisions with keepers are harder too, as players are almost always moving in opposite directions,and the keeper has no choice but to go for it, unlike an outfield player.

Having said that, there is the odd keeper who will jump and kick out their foot towards any striker in the vicinity, or throw an elbow. And that's a pretty scum move, and deserves being pinged.
Because everyone needs one.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Not kidding at all. If a midfielder jumps like that it's a free kick. Nowhere in the laws is there anything that excludes keepers from that.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

paul merson wrote:
Try running forward and jumping to your highest point with out your driving knee going up, you'd look like Superman with out a cape.
The main reason for driving your knee through the jump is for height and stability not to hit people.

As for players jumping into GK's taking a high ball and claiming they were trying to get the ball, being the GK can raise their arms it means we take the ball well above the height a player could with their head, so in fact if they were challenging for the ball realistically the player should be jumping at least a metre or so behind the GK assuming GK is taking the ball at the highest point, so 90% of players 'challenging GKs for the ball' are merely jumping into the GK hoping the collision will make him spill the ball.
Completely agree, you shouldn't be able to jump against any player taller than you as you're not going to win it.
Glad you agree.

safehands
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by safehands »

God is an Englishman wrote:Not kidding at all. If a midfielder jumps like that it's a free kick. Nowhere in the laws is there anything that excludes keepers from that.
The following quotes are taken from websites, designed to teach players to head the ball...
"You must concentrate on trying to head the ball at the highest point possible. If you can, take a starting run and launch yourself into the air by springing off your stronger foot, bringing your arms up and putting your elbows out for balance"

"Arms out for balance and protection and thrust "

"Use your arms (like a rower pulling back to get direction and power)"

and there are plenty more. I see it every game, players going up for headers, throwing their arms out, claiming its for balance or to get more power... Goalkeepers cannot do that, as our arms are normally above our heads. So yes, we do bring out knee up to get more power in our leap, and also for protection (not to foul anyone). My opinion is simple... you don't want to get injured by my knee... don't run at me while I am jumping for the ball. Pretty Basic

This is not directed at you btw GIAE.... just used your quote....
'Winning doesn't really matter as long as you win.' - VINNY JONES
'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked.' - RICHARD RUFUS

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Surely if your arms are above your head then you have just used them for thrust.

If it's ok for you to jump with your knee out then I assume it's OK for the striker to do the same?

Generally speaking I have no idea where the keeper is when I'm jumping for a cross as I'm watching the ball.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I suppose these aw fair challenges on keepers too
https://instagram.com/p/4FgRLiQzau/

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:I suppose these aw fair challenges on keepers too

Haha - every one of them a foul by the keeper.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Rubbish, strikers leading with their heads with the intention of head butting the keepers foot. Strikers will do anything for a free kick these days.

De Voyeur
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by De Voyeur »

chemical brother wrote:Well in every game I've played I've never been protected protect myself n let who ever know I want that ball ask some of the defenders
Lol. I remember you concussing one of your own defenders during a training session at the Knights.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:

Rubbish, strikers leading with their heads with the intention of head butting the keepers foot. Strikers will do anything for a free kick these days.
:lol:

pridept
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by pridept »

Judge Judy wrote:Where does this come from, the whole 'must protect the keeper' thing? A referee said on the weekend that they must protect the keeper, this was after they were queried on a freekick given to the keeper. Had a quick browse through the Laws of the Game and couldn't see anything referencing it. I'd have thought keepers can protect themself better than anyone else on the park.
If you would have observed the situation closely you would have seen the attacker turned already away from the contest, making contact with the keeper without a chance of getting the ball!