Interchange?

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

OnTheBench
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Interchange?

Post by OnTheBench »

Can someone please clarify if interchange is permitted in lower 'C Grade' matches?

SAASL Competion rules only state that you can have 5 subs and use 3 in any game.

OnTheBench
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Interchange?

Post by OnTheBench »

Official referees are not allowing any interchanges...

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Why ask if you know the answer?
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

Technically it is not permitted but often club officials with agreement from both teams allow it... I don't mind it as many teams struggle for depth and it allows them to rest players that may have to play another game or half of another game... I think it should be allowed.. But it is currently not.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

forget the interchange rule I want to know why you have an official Ref at a C game!!

The interchange rule to my understanding is that there is not an interchange rule, it's a gentleman's word between both coaches, if one says no it can't be argued because there is no such rule. I know of a coach who looks at the opposition, if he is struggling to have a sub, and he can see the opposition has 6 subs, he will say no to interchange.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

As far as I knew C Grade has interchange as does the Over 35's. Pretty sure the rule change 2 years ago.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

Competition rules - no interchange. 3 substitutions from a maximum 5 name subs.
Official referees apply substitution. But like most clubs who use club referees make their own rules and have interchange.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

HA'WAY THE LADS

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

LAW 18 – “COMMON SENSE”

One may argue that law 18 allows interchange for over 35s but C teams are not usually full of older players. SAASL change their minds every week, we traveled to a team who had over 20 players, we questioned the SAASL over this and they said yes 20 is ok anymore is prob an issue but 20 is ok. When asking so why is the sheet only 16 and how does one list 20 their reply was squeeze them in.

I like the interchange rule in Cs but do see how a team with 1-2 subs playing a team with 8 subs might see the unfair advantage. The game in question above we were up 3-1 and had 1 sub while the other team had 8 and they got over us and won 5-4 in the last 15 minutes making many subs, one could ask the question is that an unfair advantage. In the future you will see C teams listing half the B&A teams and if required in the last 15minutes they can make 5 changes to turn a game.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:SAASL Rules
What about the competition rules?

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

AL K HOLIC wrote:LAW 18 – “COMMON SENSE”

One may argue that law 18 allows interchange for over 35s but C teams are not usually full of older players. SAASL change their minds every week, we traveled to a team who had over 20 players, we questioned the SAASL over this and they said yes 20 is ok anymore is prob an issue but 20 is ok. When asking so why is the sheet only 16 and how does one list 20 their reply was squeeze them in.

I like the interchange rule in Cs but do see how a team with 1-2 subs playing a team with 8 subs might see the unfair advantage. The game in question above we were up 3-1 and had 1 sub while the other team had 8 and they got over us and won 5-4 in the last 15 minutes making many subs, one could ask the question is that an unfair advantage. In the future you will see C teams listing half the B&A teams and if required in the last 15minutes they can make 5 changes to turn a game.
I don't think too many teams in the higher divisions would risk As and Bs players in a Cs game just to win. I think interchange in the Cs is fine, it allows everyone to get more of a game, especially with those players probably not being good enough to play As and Bs (at this stage anyway)

Baresi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Baresi »

English wrote:

I don't think too many teams in the higher divisions would risk As and Bs players in a Cs game just to win. I think interchange in the Cs is fine, it allows everyone to get more of a game, especially with those players probably not being good enough to play As and Bs (at this stage anyway)
One could argue that interchanging so many players could be a hindrance more then a benefit.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Baresi wrote:
English wrote:

One could argue that interchanging so many players could be a hindrance more then a benefit.
Completely agree. However, Cs is more about ensuring everyone gets a run and enjoys the game. You can still play your players who are pushing for the B's so they are match ready for the step up.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Baresi wrote:
English wrote: I don't think too many teams in the higher divisions would risk As and Bs players in a Cs game just to win. I think interchange in the Cs is fine, it allows everyone to get more of a game, especially with those players probably not being good enough to play As and Bs (at this stage anyway)
Completely agree. However, Cs is more about ensuring everyone gets a run and enjoys the game. You can still play your players who are pushing for the B's so they are match ready for the step up.
+1, how can it be so difficult for these guys to see that.

I think you guys and wanderers in particular do a great job of using your C grade to grow your club as a lot of the guys who play in the Cs tend to take on other duties during the day and stick around for the first team game as well - which obviously adds to the atmosphere.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

As a completely unfit 50 year old, I was glad there was interchange as I could only manage about 15 minutes a half before I was knackered. Without interchange there's no way a coach would have been able to give me a run at all. It kept me involved in the club years beyond my use by date. And believe me, when they put me on the field it didn't advantage our team. :lol:
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

I spoke with saasl

Officially no player limit but try to use common sense and also interchange allowed.

This is for Cs

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Gristy wrote:I spoke with saasl

Officially no player limit but try to use common sense and also interchange allowed.

This is for Cs
They would only allow 16 at the cup final last year in the Over 35's.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Gristy wrote:I spoke with saasl

This is for Cs
I would have thought that interchange with maximum four subs would be the best way for the league to ensure the game is played in the right spirit and allow everyone the chance at a fair run. That keeps it universal across all divisions with regard to team (player) numbers and allows coaches the chance to coach with minimal restriction.
HA'WAY THE LADS

On The Pine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by On The Pine »

We have had a team in the stand alone/C saturday league (that is currently Div.7) for three years and we have found that most teams are happy to play interchange and haven't really had an issue with it.
On the weekend we had an official ref for an away fixture and he told us that he had been instructed by the league that he could not allow interchange except for O/35's games (despite both teams wanting it). He was quite adamant that was what he had been told and he was not willing to risk getting into trouble by allowing us to play it.
I have not personally spoken to the league but I thought our club had been told in the past that interchange was ok as long as both parties agreed and the bloke I spoke to on the other team said the same.
Going off on a bit of a tangent, I thought the ref did a great job.

Chico
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chico »

On The Pine wrote:We have had a team in the stand alone/C saturday league (that is currently Div.7) for three years and we have found that most teams are happy to play interchange and haven't really had an issue with it.
On the weekend we had an official ref for an away fixture and he told us that he had been instructed by the league that he could not allow interchange except for O/35's games (despite both teams wanting it). He was quite adamant that was what he had been told and he was not willing to risk getting into trouble by allowing us to play it.
I have not personally spoken to the league but I thought our club had been told in the past that interchange was ok as long as both parties agreed and the bloke I spoke to on the other team said the same.
Going off on a bit of a tangent, I thought the ref did a great job.
All referees were definitely instructed by the head of SAASL Referees in the last 2 weeks to ensure no interchange except for O/35s...

OnTheBench
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by OnTheBench »

Would be then great if SAASL then advised all clubs of the change....

Seems to be though, this is a decision coming out of the referees room rather than SAASL.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Just asked our secretary to confirm with the league. SAASL have confirmed that C Grade divisions have interchange.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

God is an Englishman wrote:Just asked our secretary to confirm with the league. SAASL have confirmed that C Grade divisions have interchange.
Did your secretary ask the SAASL to confirm this with the SAASRA?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Slinky_Pete wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Just asked our secretary to confirm with the league. SAASL have confirmed that C Grade divisions have interchange.
Good point, Hawkesy always goes by what the SAASRA says.....
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Slinky_Pete wrote:
No, as SAASRA don't appoint a ref to C Grade games and also is covered by the competition rules.

Jonny Lidon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Jonny Lidon »

seems like a well run comp when no one knows the rules ( league/ referees/ clubs/ players) ... very similar to updating of league website ,....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

League told us last year that it was interchange
Referees are not appointed to games within the C Grade league
It just seems that some clubs are unaware of what is going on, blame those clubs not the league.

On The Pine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by On The Pine »

God is an Englishman wrote:League told us last year that it was interchange
It just seems that some clubs are unaware of what is going on, blame those clubs not the league.
Referees are not appointed, but they can be requested can't they? I am assuming that there were plenty available during the cup round and that is why the team we played had one.

Both teams were certain interchange was allowed and both wanted it, but the ref maintained that he had been instructed that the only games that they could allow interchange for was the O/35's league. He was genuine and we accepted his concern that if he were to play interchange he would be risking getting games in the future.
Last edited by On The Pine on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

On The Pine wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:League told us last year that it was interchange
Referees are not appointed, but they can be requested can't they? I am assuming that there were plenty available during the cup round and that is why the tam we played had one.

Both teams were certain interchange was allowed and both wanted it, but the ref maintained that he had been instructed that the only games that they could allow interchange for was the O/35's league. He was genuine and we accepted his concern that if he were to play interchange it would be risking getting games in the future.
Who was the game between?

If the ref insists on it then there's not much you can do about it, short of refusing to play.