Offside Query

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Offside Query

Post by swannsong »

If a ball is played through and there is a player in an offside position but another player runs through from an onside position and receives the ball and forces a save from the keeper....meanwhile the player who was originally in an offside position and has continued running forward, slots home the parried save....what should the decision be ?
I know if the ball came off the cross bar then it probably should be offside....just a little uncertain when the keeper has made a save.
For me the originally offside player has gained an advantage to get to the parried save first.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

jonnomath
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Offside Query

Post by jonnomath »

Play on.... Goooooooooaaaalllllllll!!

Hearts
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Hearts »

Offside - If the keeper has parried the ball and therefore not deamed to have been in control of the ball then its offside.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

His position at the time of the through ball is irrelevant.
It depends on his position at the time of the shot.
If onside when the player shoots then he's on side, if offside when the player shoots then he's off side.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Drop ball
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

OTTO has got it right. Once the player coming through gains possession of the ball then it becomes a new phase in play.

chuck norris
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by chuck norris »

Hearts wrote:Offside - If the keeper has parried the ball and therefore not deamed to have been in control of the ball then its offside.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

penalty wrote:OTTO has got it right. Once the player coming through gains possession of the ball then it becomes a new phase in play.
So in essence, the player who was in the offside position is deemed 'passive' once the onside attacker controls it even though they are both involved in the attacking run.....I understand the ruling but not the logic behind it.... having been a goalkeeper I know how much 2 attackers running at you forces you to alter your body positioning to cover the possibility of a square pass.....can never understand how someone is 'passive' in an instance such as this ? (particularly if they end up finishing off the move).
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

swannsong wrote:
penalty wrote:OTTO has got it right. Once the player coming through gains possession of the ball then it becomes a new phase in play.
So in essence, the player who was in the offside position is deemed 'passive' once the onside attacker controls it even though they are both involved in the attacking run.....I understand the ruling but not the logic behind it.... having been a goalkeeper I know how much 2 attackers running at you forces you to alter your body positioning to cover the possibility of a square pass.....can never understand how someone is 'passive' in an instance such as this ? (particularly if they end up finishing off the move).
Totally agree

Have always said the offside rule should be black and white. If a ball is played past the last defender and a player is in an offside position at the time it's played, it should be given offside whether he gets the ball or not. End of story, no discussions or interpretations required.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

brushmancity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by brushmancity »

It makes it dammed hard for let's say a club linesman. He may well have been told by an official to stand with his flag up for offside but then over ruled by same ref. In the meantime the linesman has now to run to keep up with the game. Bring back the OLD rule if you are in an offside position you are OFFSIDE.

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

Offside - should go back to the way it was , too much confusion as you can tell just by the posts on here - if official referee's assistants dont always get it right then how the hell is a club linesman suppose to ?
From what some of you are saying, the rule favours the player in the offside position that is too lazy to get get back onside.
He may as well stand near the penalty spot then ?

Adolf Hĭtler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolf Hĭtler »

Caretaker Coach wrote:Offside - should go back to the way it was
Absolutely agree. It's one of the main reasons I lost interest in going to watch games (at any level).
I am nobody
Nobody is perfect
Therefore I am perfect.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

As soon as the player who ran onto the ball is considered active and ok the offside player will become onside, therefore he is now active also and is free to partake in cleaning the crumbs.

Right Back
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Right Back »

As long as the player who was previously in an offside position (and didnt interfere with the through ball play) is in an onside position when his team mate takes the shot, then its play on and a goal as far as I understand

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

swannsong wrote:If a ball is played through and there is a player in an offside position but another player runs through from an onside position and receives the ball and forces a save from the keeper....meanwhile the player who was originally in an offside position and has continued running forward, slots home the parried save....what should the decision be ?
I know if the ball came off the cross bar then it probably should be offside....just a little uncertain when the keeper has made a save.
For me the originally offside player has gained an advantage to get to the parried save first.
If the player in an offside position is gaining an advantage by being in that position they are offside. They don't have to be the receiver of the ball.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

astonvilla91 wrote:
swannsong wrote:If a ball is played through and there is a player in an offside position but another player runs through from an onside position and receives the ball and forces a save from the keeper....meanwhile the player who was originally in an offside position and has continued running forward, slots home the parried save....what should the decision be ?
If the player in an offside position is gaining an advantage by being in that position they are offside. They don't have to be the receiver of the ball.
I agree with this. I think the law states "gaining an advantage" to which you are for a number of reasons;

Goal side of the defenders
Less distance to cover to tap in the parried shot
Stretching the defence to mark two players (one onside and one off)
Distracting the goalkeeper who must no anticipate two forwards and not one

If the rule allows for this then why not just sit a player on the edge of the box and once through on goal cut the ball backwards to this guy for a tap in? Saves one on ones and increases the percentage of opportunity at goal.
brushmancity wrote:It makes it dammed hard for let's say a club linesman. He may well have been told by an official to stand with his flag up for offside but then over ruled by same ref. In the meantime the linesman has now to run to keep up with the game. Bring back the OLD rule if you are in an offside position you are OFFSIDE.
I would have no problem with the linesman leaving his flag down until the "offside" player becomes active, then raising his flag and explaining he was originally offside. The ref can then make a judgement as to whether he did in fact gain an advantage and rule accordingly.
HA'WAY THE LADS

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I feel dirty saying that otto is right but otto is right.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

God is an Englishman wrote:I feel dirty saying that otto is right but otto is right.
Thanks GIAE, I feel dirty saying it, but I hope Millwall bounce back up at the first attempt. :D
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:
astonvilla91 wrote:
I agree with this. I think the law states "gaining an advantage" to which you are for a number of reasons;

Goal side of the defenders
Less distance to cover to tap in the parried shot
Stretching the defence to mark two players (one onside and one off)
Distracting the goalkeeper who must no anticipate two forwards and not one

If the rule allows for this then why not just sit a player on the edge of the box and once through on goal cut the ball backwards to this guy for a tap in? Saves one on ones and increases the percentage of opportunity at goal.
brushmancity wrote:It makes it dammed hard for let's say a club linesman. He may well have been told by an official to stand with his flag up for offside but then over ruled by same ref. In the meantime the linesman has now to run to keep up with the game. Bring back the OLD rule if you are in an offside position you are OFFSIDE.
I would have no problem with the linesman leaving his flag down until the "offside" player becomes active, then raising his flag and explaining he was originally offside. The ref can then make a judgement as to whether he did in fact gain an advantage and rule accordingly.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Well he's not offside until he's active so why would the linesman have his flag up anyway.