Just a Fifa rule that many players don't seem to know.

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Not so special one
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Just a Fifa rule that many players don't seem to know.

Post by Not so special one »

An off-season opportunity to mention some obscure rules to our great game.
When a player takes a penalty & hits the post or crossbar without the keeper touching the ball, the penalty taker cannot touch the ball a second time or a free kick will be awarded against that player. Unlikely to happen but certainly very possible.

Fraggle Rock
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Re: Just a Fifa rule that many players don't seem to know.

Post by Fraggle Rock »

That's not really that obscure.

Also it's not limited to penalties, but is the case for any freekick, corner, goalkick and throw in. Not only that, but if the ball strikes the corner flag and stays in play the same player cannot touch it until someone else does.

Not so special one
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Not so special one »

Well I must admit I didn't know the corner flag rule.

You Too
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by You Too »

If your penalty taker hits the corner flag you need a new penalty taker.

Sotally Tober
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sotally Tober »

I think the comment was for free kicks in general
I need a drink

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Referees/laws of game forum........ :arrow:
Ignore this signature

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Also if an attacking player is closer to the goal than 2 defending players they are deemed to be offside - unlikely to happen, but happens all the time

And this one

If an opposing player knocks the ball out of play via the sideline the other team is awarded a throw in, very unlikely
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Monder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Monder »

:lol:
Like I need a keyboard

Jogonalex
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jogonalex »

What's the decision?
Two players chase a through ball towards the by line, there side by side and reach the ball just before it goes out of play, one player puts his foot on it and stops it in the field of play inside the penalty box. Both players then over run the ball and leave the field of play, on turning to go back and win the ball the defender pulls down the attacking player committing a foul, he then plays on and passes the ball while the striker lays on the ground. What is the correct decision??? We had this happen a couple of years back and the ref played on as he didn't know what to do as the foul was committed outside of the field of play....
In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside - Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.
-- Bill Shankly --

Ōmu Shinrikyō
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Ōmu Shinrikyō »

Free kick at the nearest point of the pitch, if that happens to be the box penalty.

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

ball still in play - direct free kick.

Farpost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Farpost »

Foul occured outside of penalty area, so I can't see how a penalty could be awarded. The defender could be booked or sent off for ungentlemanly conduct though - although not sure then how/where the game is restarted - book/send-off followed by a bounced ball?
However, if forced to make a decision on the spur of the moment, I suspect on gut feel most people would award a penalty kick.

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

Chumbawumba
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Chumbawumba »

The ref got it right unless he wants to stop play to book the player, then the restart is a drop ball

Walking Dictionary
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Walking Dictionary »

If he's not going to book a player there's no need for a drop ball as it hasn't gone out of play... surely he'd just signal play on

MG&Son
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MG&Son »

Not sure how much truth to this there is but I once heard that you cant be offside if you are out of play. So once upon a time, a player stood outside the boundaries of the pitch offside, had the ball played in front of him, came back into play then took the ball and scored....

If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!
If ye cannae dae the bouncy, cannae dae the bouncy,
Cannae dae the bouncy you're a Tim!

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

MG&Son wrote:Not sure how much truth to this there is but I once heard that you cant be offside if you are out of play. So once upon a time, a player stood outside the boundaries of the pitch offside, had the ball played in front of him, came back into play then took the ball and scored....
Most refs would book you for that, remember when Van Dyke got booked for leaving the field to take a dump, you cant just leave the field and come back when you want.
but you are right off side doesnt apply if you're not on the pitch, Ange Costanzo once stood on my post when we were defending a corner, the opposition had 3 blokes stand in front of me so he stepped off the pitch just before they took it, they scored but they were given off side.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

paul merson wrote:
MG&Son wrote:Not sure how much truth to this there is but I once heard that you cant be offside if you are out of play. So once upon a time, a player stood outside the boundaries of the pitch offside, had the ball played in front of him, came back into play then took the ball and scored....
Most refs would book you for that, remember when Van Dyke got booked for leaving the field to take a dump, you cant just leave the field and come back when you want.
but you are right off side doesnt apply if you're not on the pitch, Ange Costanzo once stood on my post when we were defending a corner, the opposition had 3 blokes stand in front of me so he stepped off the pitch just before they took it, they scored but they were given off side.
Can't be offside from a corner???
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Mackem Lad wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Can't be offside from a corner???
Sht sorry meant a free kick, its early.

Chumbawumba
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Chumbawumba »

Incorrect, happened in the 2006? World Cup player is deemed to be standing in the position where he left the field and then probably booked as well

Chumbawumba
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Chumbawumba »

Walking Dictionary wrote:If he's not going to book a player there's no need for a drop ball as it hasn't gone out of play... surely he'd just signal play on
Yes drop ball would only be if play needed to be stopped