cup games

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

cup games

Post by fowler_23 »

Any results from today?
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: cup games

Post by predator »

Reserves Result
Downs 4 - 2 Jets

Reserves: Result
Old ignations 4 - 1 Sturt Marion

A's result
St Peters 1 - 2 Ingle Farm

A' Result
Elizabeth Downs 4 - 2 Sals Inter
Last edited by predator on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 15 times in total.

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Ah well, jets first team had a good reserves cup run this year. Just couldnt get to the final, poor lads
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

fowler_23 wrote:Ah well, jets first team had a good reserves cup run this year. Just couldnt get to the final, poor lads

Enjoying the day down here, when does your club make an appearance?

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Our first team played another first team and unfortunately got knocked out :(

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Unlucky there mate, still here having a great day.

Will be back next week as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

God is an Englishman wrote:Unlucky there mate, still here having a great day.

Will be back next week as well.
Dave and Sas are also available enjoying the day, they said to send their love

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

fowler_23 wrote:Ah well, jets first team had a good reserves cup run this year. Just couldnt get to the final, poor lads
I know you've had it explained to you and any reasonable football person would understand. Keep trying.

Farpost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Farpost »

downs v Inter score??

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Farpost wrote:downs v Inter score??
4-2 downs, 6 to play

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Great entertainment yesterday in the Downs games with plenty of goals and strong opponents - the atmosphere and the football on display was a great advert for the amateur game. Going to be another big Sunday for the Downs next weekend.

safehands
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by safehands »

To be fair to the jets, I don't think they had too many first team players out there yesterday. Outside of Tim Woods, they really didn't have too much yesterday. Of course I could be wrong and they could just be cabernet.
'Winning doesn't really matter as long as you win.' - VINNY JONES
'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked.' - RICHARD RUFUS

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

safehands wrote:
To be fair to the jets, I don't think they had too many first team players out there yesterday. Outside of Tim Woods, they really didn't have too much yesterday. Of course I could be wrong and they could just be cabernet.

2 players played yesterday that I would say were first team players. Both of them were unavailable for the 1st round of the cup, so weren't cup tied. Some of the others may have played some first team football this season but also played some reserves football as well.

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

2 players played yesterday that I would say were first team players. Both of them were unavailable for the 1st round of the cup, so weren't cup tied. Some of the others may have played some first team football this season but also played some reserves football as well.[/quote]

I dont think it really matters who played in what squad through the year, if that was the case benny played a few A grade game this year as well. What really mattered was 2 passionate clubs gave thier all on and off the pitch, and didnt it show in the last 10 or 15 minutes of play. The result could of gone either way with the jets having a better second half and hitting the post twice in the space of 10 seconds. Says a lot about the Jets when I thought safehands was our best on ground and kept us in it. A bit of revenge for the Downs who got knocked out by the Jets in the previous meeting of the cup.... :wink:
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

legga wrote: I dont think it really matters who played in what squad through the year, if that was the case benny played a few A grade game this year as well. What really mattered was 2 passionate clubs gave thier all on and off the pitch, and didnt it show in the last 10 or 15 minutes of play. The result could of gone either way with the jets having a better second half and hitting the post twice in the space of 10 seconds. Says a lot about the Jets when I thought safehands was our best on ground and kept us in it. A bit of revenge for the Downs who got knocked out by the Jets in the previous meeting of the cup.... :wink:

Was a great game, a great atmosphere, some great banter and some great respect between the sides and spectators after as well.

Safehands's save just after our 2nd was top drawer and I told him so after the game. Had that gone in I think we would have got well on top, momentum would have certainly been with us.

Take a 15 minute period out of that game and it was 2 very well matched sides.

safehands
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by safehands »

God is an Englishman wrote:
legga wrote: I dont think it really matters who played in what squad through the year, if that was the case benny played a few A grade game this year as well. What really mattered was 2 passionate clubs gave thier all on and off the pitch, and didnt it show in the last 10 or 15 minutes of play. The result could of gone either way with the jets having a better second half and hitting the post twice in the space of 10 seconds. Says a lot about the Jets when I thought safehands was our best on ground and kept us in it. A bit of revenge for the Downs who got knocked out by the Jets in the previous meeting of the cup.... :wink:

Was a great game, a great atmosphere, some great banter and some great respect between the sides and spectators after as well.

Safehands's save just after our 2nd was top drawer and I told him so after the game. Had that gone in I think we would have got well on top, momentum would have certainly been with us.

Take a 15 minute period out of that game and it was 2 very well matched sides.
As I stated after the game, I thought it was worthy of a cup final. I think that the momentum was definately with the jets towards the end, and I think if the opportunity that rattled both posts had of gone in it could have been a different outcome.
'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked.' - RICHARD RUFUS

LRO
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LRO »

The best things about both games the Downs were involved in yesterday was the hardness and competitiveness on the pitch and in the dugouts at times got heated but come that final whistle everything is left on the pitch, this can only happen with mutual respect between all clubs involved!

Yes Phil was outstanding yesterday (hard saying that as he knows my love for goalkeepers :wink: ) made some top shelf saves and was instrumental at the back (again) but he was not the lone ranger, he had 10 players in front of him that played out of there skin also!

CR7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by CR7 »

LRO wrote:The best things about both games the Downs were involved in yesterday was the hardness and competitiveness on the pitch and in the dugouts at times got heated but come that final whistle everything is left on the pitch, this can only happen with mutual respect between all clubs involved!

Yes Phil was outstanding yesterday (hard saying that as he knows my love for goalkeepers :wink: ) made some top shelf saves and was instrumental at the back (again) but he was not the lone ranger, he had 10 players in front of him that played out of there skin also!
How that fat red head is playing is beyond me he barely moved surely ur not short of players

LRO
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by LRO »

CR7 wrote:
LRO wrote:The best things about both games the Downs were involved in yesterday was the hardness and competitiveness on the pitch and in the dugouts at times got heated but come that final whistle everything is left on the pitch, this can only happen with mutual respect between all clubs involved!

How that fat red head is playing is beyond me he barely moved surely ur not short of players
Pretty poor form mate, Red is an outstanding player. Has won EVERYTHING at the Downs at Senior level (League, Cup, B&F) he is 28 years old and a very valued player for the Downs. Has done a fantastic job this year for the Ressies. He may be festively plump but has a massive heart and never gives up. So to answer your question No we are not short of players everyone in the team earns there right and that includes Red!

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Redknob did alright I thought, especially in the first half.
Safehands BOG for me, I thought the one on one at ground level at the edge of the area was even better than the shot stop.

Mr Untouchable
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr Untouchable »

Heard the Downs - Inter game was a bit fiery and there was almost a wonder goal.

geezer
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by geezer »

Mr Untouchable wrote:Heard the Downs - Inter game was a bit fiery and there was almost a wonder goal.
You heard rite Mr Untouchable, Hughesy's overhead effort was out standing,

Oh and Trimmers shot from JUST outside the box was slightly over hit :P

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

What were the crowd numbers like on the day?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Pretty good numbers. Farm crowd has certainly swelled and they were very vocal.

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jogger »

Mr Untouchable wrote:Heard the Downs - Inter game was a bit fiery and there was almost a wonder goal.
two sides trying to get into a final, what more would you ask for? a couple of strong tackles during a very tense period where the game was on the line, nothing more than that!

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

not too often you get 4 good games , where all sides are play with passion and intensity.

Well done to all teams.

FRANKEL
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by FRANKEL »

jogger wrote:
two sides trying to get into a final, what more would you ask for? a couple of strong tackles during a very tense period where the game was on the line, nothing more than that!
Absolutely was great to watch it was a good game pretty even for most of it little bit of push and shove but wasn't that bad thought it was a bit OTT that security called the cops. I reckon there were 5 maybe 6 cop cars outside the ground when I left
An I'm on my knees looking for the answers....

Are we human!!!!!!! Or are we scousers!!!!!!!

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

How that fat red head is playing is beyond me he barely moved surely ur not short of players[/quote]

How did you go playing in the semi's butt plug....Won many Div 1 medals. Introduce yourself to Red on the pitch I am sure he will give you a boot for your troubles. And if you do know red and are just trying to get a bite hang your head in shame you buffoon.....My prediction is Red to have a cup winners medal after sunday..... :wink:
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

boris_becker
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by boris_becker »

LRO wrote:
CR7 wrote:

Pretty poor form mate, Red is an outstanding player. Has won EVERYTHING at the Downs at Senior level (League, Cup, B&F) he is 28 years old and a very valued player for the Downs. Has done a fantastic job this year for the Ressies. He may be festively plump but has a massive heart and never gives up. So to answer your question No we are not short of players everyone in the team earns there right and that includes Red!

I'm still waiting for Big Red to make me one of his famous pies.

safehands
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by safehands »

CR7 wrote:

As has been stated, every downs player has earned their spot for the semi and final. Red has played well all season and plays a very important role. We may give him a lot of cabernet, but every player in the team believes he deserves to be there. I think come 3:15 Sunday he will be celebrating a win with the rest of us.