My two cents

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Re: My two cents

Post by Black_Panther »

Vale_boy05 wrote:
DOC wrote:Players and officials from both clubs complained about said referee and he was useless and too old and that he ruined a cracking game with too many cards and poor decisions

He was being assessed so hopefully we don't see him in div 1 again

I know we read a lot of whinging but some of it is warranted

Funny thing is the best official of the day was the young linesman who was prob about 12
Dont get me wrong, I love a good hard fought game but it does not surprise me at all that Vista have had a few cards thrown their way. It's always the refs fault.

The way i see it, all the refs are cabernet so shut up and get on with it because without them there's no game. 8)
I agree with what you say and very much subscribe to the theory that the refs are at the same standard as the players (truth be told they make a lot less mistakes than the players on the park).

The bias in games sometimes is very difficult to accept, especially if it is accompanied by a very smug attitude.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Vale_boy05
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Vale_boy05 »

Black_Panther wrote:
Vale_boy05 wrote:
DOC wrote:Players and officials from both clubs complained about said referee and he was useless and too old and that he ruined a cracking game with too many cards and poor decisions

He was being assessed so hopefully we don't see him in div 1 again

I know we read a lot of whinging but some of it is warranted

Funny thing is the best official of the day was the young linesman who was prob about 12
Dont get me wrong, I love a good hard fought game but it does not surprise me at all that Vista have had a few cards thrown their way. It's always the refs fault.

The way i see it, all the refs are cabernet so shut up and get on with it because without them there's no game. 8)
I agree with what you say and very much subscribe to the theory that the refs are at the same standard as the players (truth be told they make a lot less mistakes than the players on the park).

The bias in games sometimes is very difficult to accept, especially if it is accompanied by a very smug attitude.
At the time yes, but when you look at it over the course of a season it about evens out.

There a few refs out there who will give your side nothing all game and it's as frustrating as hell, but the following week most of the calls go your way. Swings and roundabouts.......

The end of the day we are all "amateurs" including our officials, if you want to play with a "fitter" or "better" official go test your self and play feds, end of story.

Paipss Cisse
he scores when he wants.

The Toffees
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Toffees »

At the time yes, but when you look at it over the course of a season it about evens out.

There a few refs out there who will give your side nothing all game and it's as frustrating as hell, but the following week most of the calls go your way. Swings and roundabouts.......

The end of the day we are all "amateurs" including our officials, if you want to play with a "fitter" or "better" official go test your self and play feds, end of story.[/quote]

Exactly. Although if you are someone with a vested interest in a match it is difficult to make a judgement on whether a referee is biased or not. Might be better to ask a neutral spectator. I've been to plenty of games as a neutral and watched both sets of players/supporters carry on all game that they're getting a raw deal and thought to myself : "What on earth are they carrying on about? The ref is perfectly fine".

It's all about perceptions. If you are emotionally involved in a game it seems to be human nature that you feel you're being hard done by (when you're probably not). Just remember though, the refs are human too and they make far less mistakes than the players. As an occasional club ref I've been told on occasions by away teams that I was better than the official ref they had the previous week, "so why have you been calling me a cheating prick for the last 90 minutes I wondered to myself".

Anyhow, in summary, I don't think the solution is refs "toughening up" as Nugget might say, a bit more respect for them will lead to more refs and therefore more quality (and less 70 year olds!).

Worth a try?
Kopites are Gobshites

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

Ummm....

Naaa! :D

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

Sue Dookoo wrote:How many club linesmen do you see keeping up with the last defender? Not many.
Not enough! Not to mention how annoying it is to see club linesmen coaching, supporting or even just not watching and having a chat.

Sue Dookoo
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Sue Dookoo »

Yep, all of that bugs me too.
Dig the digits !!!

Jeremy Paxman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jeremy Paxman »

The young lad running the line for Hahndorf in the first half has been very good.
The English approach to ideas is not to kill them, but to let them die of neglect.