My two cents

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

The Toffees
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

My two cents

Post by The Toffees »

Just a thought, I've been reading through the Sunday results thread and have noticed two things (and this is not unique to this particular thread, it comes up almost every week in one form or another).

1. Lots of complaints about referees being too old.

2. Someone else mentioning that a linesman estimated to be 15 years old being abused to the point of tears.

I am not involved with any of the clubs in question from the weekend but feel I should make a general observation (I have played, coached and reffed B's in the SAASL pretty consistently for the last 20 years) .

Treat the referees with respect, stop b!tching about every single decision and just get on with it. It's a passionate game but we are not playing for sheep stations. If the referees are treated with respect, there will be more refs. If there are more refs it is extremely likely the quality will improve. However, if you are happy with the standard (and age) of the refs at present keep treating them like s h i t and nothing will change. As that bell-end on the Natural Gas ads says, "Make the Connection".

The solution is simple and it is up to all of us.

We've had refs being chased to their cars, club stewards threatening refs, refs needing to be locked in clubrooms for their own safety.

Time we all grew up I think.
Kopites are Gobshites

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Re: My two cents

Post by gone »

The Toffees wrote:Just a thought, I've been reading through the Sunday results thread and have noticed two things (and this is not unique to this particular thread, it comes up almost every week in one form or another).

2. Someone else mentioning that a linesman estimated to be 15 years old being abused to the point of tears.

I am not involved with any of the clubs in question from the weekend but feel I should make a general observation (I have played, coached and reffed B's in the SAASL pretty consistently for the last 20 years) .

Treat the referees with respect, stop b!tching about every single decision and just get on with it. It's a passionate game but we are not playing for sheep stations. If the referees are treated with respect, there will be more refs. If there are more refs it is extremely likely the quality will improve. However, if you are happy with the standard (and age) of the refs at present keep treating them like s h i t and nothing will change. As that bell-end on the Natural Gas ads says, "Make the Connection".

We've had refs being chased to their cars, club stewards threatening refs, refs needing to be locked in clubrooms for their own safety.

THIS!!!!
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Players and officials from both clubs complained about said referee and he was useless and too old and that he ruined a cracking game with too many cards and poor decisions

He was being assessed so hopefully we don't see him in div 1 again

I know we read a lot of whinging but some of it is warranted

Funny thing is the best official of the day was the young linesman who was prob about 12
ImageImage

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

The Toffees wrote:Just a thought, I've been reading through the Sunday results thread and have noticed two things (and this is not unique to this particular thread, it comes up almost every week in one form or another).

I agree. Kopites are gobshites. :wink:
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

DOC wrote:Players and officials from both clubs complained about said referee and he was useless and too old and that he ruined a cracking game with too many cards and poor decisions

Funny thing is the best official of the day was the young linesman who was prob about 12
No more div 1 games? thus looks a fair chance you'll have him again next year

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

DOC wrote:Players and officials from both clubs complained about said referee and he was useless and too old and that he ruined a cracking game with too many cards and poor decisions

Wonder if the players that shiraz up received the same bagging as the Ref got?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Oi DOC !! I was quite good for the short time I held the flag on Sunday :)

I agree with The Toffees opening sentiments, it's OK to feel aggrieved by refereeing that can be below par and perceived through supporters, players and coaches eyes, however, continual venting at referees achieves very little apart from making those shouting out look like loose cannons or serial complainers.
Comments from the side can stir up the players even more and can influence players (feeling their actions are supported) into doing stupid things.
Knights have been guilty of this over the years but it is something I would like our Club to eradicate or tone down a great deal.
Having refereed for several years in the late 1990's, I sometimes was accused by both sides of favouring the other sides :shock:
Players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, assistants make mistakes and so will referees.
Certainly appeal loudly for offences, but don't continue on with some of the garbage that is yelled out !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

Mr X wrote:

No more div 1 games? thus looks a fair chance you'll have him again next year
Welcome back mr x haven't seen you post for a while
ImageImage

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

swannsong wrote:

Oi DOC !! I was quite good for the short time I held the flag on Sunday :)

I agree with The Toffees opening sentiments, it's OK to feel aggrieved by refereeing that can be below par and perceived through supporters, players and coaches eyes, however, continual venting at referees achieves very little apart from making those shouting out look like loose cannons or serial complainers.
Comments from the side can stir up the players even more and can influence players (feeling their actions are supported) into doing stupid things.
Knights have been guilty of this over the years but it is something I would like our Club to eradicate or tone down a great deal.
Having refereed for several years in the late 1990's, I sometimes was accused by both sides of favouring the other sides :shock:
Players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, assistants make mistakes and so will referees.
Certainly appeal loudly for offences, but don't continue on with some of the garbage that is yelled out !
You did OK mate
ImageImage

The Toffees
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Toffees »

mushrow wrote:

I agree. Kopites are gobshites. :wink:

I think that's one thing we can all agree on.
Kopites are Gobshites

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

I too have played and coached at B's level in the SAASL pretty consistently for the last 20 years, and going by some of your other posts, I think at the same club as you.

Funny thing is I still can't "Make the Connection" and work out who your are because no one from my club would agree with your statement. :lol:

I see no issue with ref's performance and behavior being assessed good or bad on this forum, just like we players are open to the same scrutiny regardless of age or experience.

I agree there's no place for violence, but ref's should harden up, learn the game and get on with it just like players should.

As for young kids officiating, they should be treated like any other official in regards to intimidation and threats, however as the saying goes for young kids playing in a men's league, if you can't handle the heat, go back to the juniors.

Jerks shouldn't be threatening ref's regardless of age.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Well written Toffees and you have reffed many a good game ..

Funny thing Doc is you will get the same ref again this year .. he does the appointments each week

The Toffees
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Toffees »

bloodypassit wrote:Well written Toffees and you have reffed many a good game ..

Funny thing Doc is you will get the same ref again this year .. he does the appointments each week

Aw schucks thanks SL. I don't really consider myself a 'ref' though (and I'm sure there's plenty of people who would agree with me! :wink: ) as my entire reffing career consists of about 40 B grade games.

This post is really just more an observation from a concerned member of the SAASL community, if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem!
Kopites are Gobshites

Katy Perry's Tits
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Katy Perry's Tits »

These days rounded down two cents is worth nothing.
Whose buttons can I press today?

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SID »

No Steve #4.... The player gets dropped

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

coach gets the sack :wink:
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

What made my decision to retire from refereeing for ever was the constant abuse towards us referees and pointing the blame on referees for mistakes players make.
The final straw was the vipers coach abusing me for cautioning his player for persistent encroachment at a corner kick. Corner kick, defender runs and stands 1 metre from the corner ark, I stop he quick corner kick from being taken and tell the player to move back 10 yards, guess what he does when the corner kick is about to be retaken, he runs and stands next to the corner ark and at the same time abused me. So he gets cautioned (the only card of the game). Instead of coach telling off his player he abuses the referee for cautioning his player.
Now, do I send off the coach for his abuse, its not worth it as the league wont do anything. So at that moment I said to myself enough is enough and not worth being abused and also risking my life (I have spent couple of nights in hospital after player and spectator assault).

Remember without referees there is no game. So please Players, Spectators, and club officials start respecting the referees. And especially the clubs and the league needs to start punishing those who misbehave.

Kȁpita
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kȁpita »

penalty wrote:without referees there is no game.
Why is half a day at home more tiring than a week at work?

You Too
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by You Too »

Some of you folk need to call Nugget and see if he has any of that "Toughen the F*** Up" left.

Official Referees are not beyond criticism and with some of the ridiculas decisions you see made during a game surely there's no issue with letting them know. It's not too much to ask that they know the rules and more importantly apply them without bias and on a consistant basis throughout the game. Football is a game of passion whether you play or watch and frustration reigns supreme especially so when the officials are inconsistent with their decisions. When this occurs they are going to cop it from both players and spectators alike and rightly so.

However there is a huge difference between banter / frustrated yelling and abuse / threats, no one deserves the latter and everyone should take a firm stand against it, however the former has and will always be part of the game and if you are offended or don't like it then Netballs probably more your game.

Kȁpita
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Kȁpita »

You Too wrote:It's not too much to ask that they know the rules
Please pass this advice on to most players.
Why is half a day at home more tiring than a week at work?

Jonny Lidon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Jonny Lidon »

Doc get your hand of it, swinging elbows and throwing punches are send offs all day long
lets take this one to the wah wah thread
toffee great post, totally true players make more mistakes this is just a cop out
to cover the fact they've all been on the turps and were struggling to run
typical vista bunch of wannabes and wasters
mr x welcome back from brazil great post laughed me tits off

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

The ref who officiated our recent reserves match against Cougars threatened to call the game off because our supporters threw out a few "that's bullsh-it ref".

I also coped my first yellow in 2 years in our cup match with Wanderers for man marking a player too closely from a throw in?

Things like this are unnecessary, and in particular with the supporters example, a complete overreaction that just creates unwanted attention to them. Imagine the AFL or A-League had to threaten abandoning the game because a supporter yelled out "that's bullsh-it ref/ump". Wouldn't be many games happening I'd say.

Like I said, they need to toughen up, and remember it's about the football, not them.

Some of them are all far too...... precious.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

SID wrote:No Steve #4.... The player gets dropped
Most clubs wouldn't have a side to field if that was the case....

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Azzurri80 wrote:The ref who officiated our recent reserves match against Cougars threatened to call the game off because our supporters threw out a few "that's bullsh-it ref".

I also coped my first yellow in 2 years in our cup match with Wanderers for man marking a player too closely from a throw in?

Things like this are unnecessary, and in particular with the supporters example, a complete overreaction that just creates unwanted attention to them. Imagine the AFL or A-League had to threaten abandoning the game because a supporter yelled out "that's bullsh-it ref/ump". Wouldn't be many games happening I'd say.

Like I said, they need to toughen up, and remember it's about the football, not them.

Are you suggesting we increase the refs pay levels to AFL and A-league rates?
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Vale_boy05
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Vale_boy05 »

Dont get me wrong, I love a good hard fought game but it does not surprise me at all that Vista have had a few cards thrown their way. It's always the refs fault.

The way i see it, all the refs are cabernet so shut up and get on with it because without them there's no game. 8)

Paipss Cisse
he scores when he wants.

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

otto62 wrote:
Azzurri80 wrote:The ref who officiated our recent reserves match against Cougars threatened to call the game off because our supporters threw out a few "that's bullsh-it ref".

Are you suggesting we increase the refs pay levels to AFL and A-league rates?
Where do I sign up?! :lol:

Vale_boy05 wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I love a good hard fought game but it does not surprise me at all that Vista have had a few cards thrown their way. It's always the refs fault.

The way i see it, all the refs are cabernet so shut up and get on with it because without them there's no game. 8)
This.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

I took up reffing for one season and quit. I don't need that (insert humorous wine variety here).
I did some volunteer reffing in the B's and C's for a few years, and once an A match as a last resort when a ref didn't turn up.
During the A's game I copped as much abuse from my own club mates as the opposition and after the game was accused by my own clubs coach of being biased towards the opposition.
I quit club reffing then.

Now I'm as straight as a die as a person.
Maybe I'm a poor ref, but I did the best I could and I tried to be completely impartial.

So make whatever excuses you like for your 'banter', but all you're doing is getting refs to quit.
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

otto62 wrote:......after the game was accused by my own clubs coach of being biased towards the opposition.
Saw that happen in an U15 friendly a few years ago :shock:
Time for some righteous indignation

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

I understand that refs make mistakes and sometimes it is frustrating but when the ref is 65+ and can't even keep up with the play, I don't get it. Nobody can make the right decision from 70m away so why try?

Sue Dookoo
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Sue Dookoo »

How many club linesmen do you see keeping up with the last defender? Not many.
Dig the digits !!!