SATURDAY DIVISION 2 2014

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Hit the Post
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: SATURDAY DIVISION 2 2014

Post by Hit the Post »

My predictions after seeing the majority of teams play.

Champions - A Villa
Promotion - Stirling

Relegation - Southern Breakers
Wooden spoon - One Tree Hill

The middle of the table will be very close, I think only Salisbury Villa has a realistic chance of getting promoted of the other teams in the league

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Hit the post wrote:My predictions after seeing the majority of teams play.

Champions - A Villa
Promotion - Stirling

The middle of the table will be very close, I think only Salisbury Villa has a realistic chance of getting promoted of the other teams in the league
I hope you're right, but it's ridiculously close for 2nd spot.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Heard tonight that a player is no longer hitting the post but still a terrible shot on Saturdays...

Get him fit and relegation may not be an issue :wink:

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

Champions - A Villa
Promotion - Stirling

well i guess thats the gauntlet thrown down. its now our job to prove the doubters wrong. whatever happens with relegation or safety this season has been an amazing season for us so far... its a huge learning curve for a very young club, and i have thoroughly enjoyed playing in this division. Pretty much every side we have played has been full of great guys, very hospitable and always good to have a chat with, so the journey so far has been an absolute pleasure. i do however have full confidence in our boys that we will get over the line and survive this season, and possibly turn a few heads in the process. Its definitely a huge ask as there are some very good sides around but i think we can do it

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

othsc4life wrote:

Champions - A Villa
Promotion - Stirling

well i guess thats the gauntlet thrown down. its now our job to prove the doubters wrong. whatever happens with relegation or safety this season has been an amazing season for us so far... its a huge learning curve for a very young club, and i have thoroughly enjoyed playing in this division. Pretty much every side we have played has been full of great guys, very hospitable and always good to have a chat with, so the journey so far has been an absolute pleasure. i do however have full confidence in our boys that we will get over the line and survive this season, and possibly turn a few heads in the process. Its definitely a huge ask as there are some very good sides around but i think we can do it
My experience Saturdays, Div 2 is the best div to play in.... Good socially, Bar/food takings and quality on the pitch... has the all round
vibe going on. Premier, to many school sides that don't spend or add to the atmosphere and Div 3 or lower unorganized generally.
My opinion only but pretty correct.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Steve#4 wrote:............. Premier, too many school sides that don't spend or add to the atmosphere ........
Harsh, but fair :P
Time for some righteous indignation

Jack Mehorf
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jack Mehorf »

My predictions after seeing the majority of teams play.

Champions - A Villa
Promotion - Stirling

We have been blessed at Adelaide Villa this year with the move to Rushworth, re appointment of Rick Cerracchio and picking up some absolute quality players in Ryan Moore, Ryan Mitchell, Emelyn Hughes and most recently Brenton Agars from the Downs complementing a squad that is "now" 100% fit and probably not yet hit its peak. Long way to go though but all looking good at this stage.

Regards to the other teams well not sure about Stirling as i ended up in hospital after the C team game but from all reports a very good young fit side that are well organised and had us under pressure for most of the game. Pumas played the game of their lives against us in Rd 2 and looked well organised but have fallen right away. I think if MA Hawks stay well drilled they will challenge Stirling and Sailsbury Villa for the top two spots, Cougars have been the biggest disappointment, unfit, undisciplined, un organised and no direction, very dissappointing as they showed so much promise last year and really hope they can turn the second half of the season around. Good luck to everyone for the second half of the season, and Steve, spot on mate, a very good league socially, all hospitable clubs to play against.

PS, can add Ben Jupp to that list also another great pick up and absolute legend of a bloke to. :D
Last edited by Jack Mehorf on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

Stitch This wrote:
Steve#4 wrote:............. Premier, too many school sides that don't spend or add to the atmosphere ........
Harsh, but fair :P
That's because they're all stuck up, tight a-rse private schools. I should know, I got expelled from Blackfriars years ago. :lol:

Hit the Post
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hit the Post »

Steve#4 wrote:Heard tonight that a player is no longer hitting the post but still a terrible shot on Saturdays...

Get him fit and relegation may not be an issue :wink:
Ha ha thanks Steve! There's a lot to be done at the Viperdome, happy to be back scoring goals :D

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

Jack Mehorf wrote:We have been blessed at Adelaide Villa this year with the move to Rushworth, re appointment of Rick Cerracchio and picking up some absolute quality players in Ryan Moore, Ryan Mitchell, Emelyn Hughes and most recently Brenton Agars from the Downs complementing a squad that is "now" 100% fit and probably not yet hit its peak. Long way to go though but all looking good at this stage.
I haven't been 100% fit since 1984

Jack Mehorf
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jack Mehorf »

Galey wrote:
Jack Mehorf wrote:We have been blessed at Adelaide Villa this year with the move to Rushworth, re appointment of Rick Cerracchio and picking up some absolute quality players in Ryan Moore, Ryan Mitchell, Emelyn Hughes and most recently Brenton Agars from the Downs complementing a squad that is "now" 100% fit and probably not yet hit its peak. Long way to go though but all looking good at this stage.
I haven't been 100% fit since 1984
Re quote, re goalkeepers, 100% fat since 1984 :lol:

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

gotta say it was a pretty disappointing, unsporting performance from adelaide pumas today. turned up to their ground today to see the reserves game called off- fair enough. but suprisingly the pitch had held up pretty well considering the amount of rain. but not once did any pumas player, official or representative showing any willingness to want to play the first team game. just had the attitude of not wanting to play at all whilst One Tree Hill were all keen to get out.
The pitch was in pretty good condition, the odd wet slushy patch but hey its a winter sport here. there was a large puddle on one of the corner flags so we suggested bringing the touch line in 2 metres to negate the puddle on the pitch. pumas didnt want a bar of that suggestion, their excuse being because they struggle to play on narrow pitches even though it would have still been well withing regulation size. when they ref rocked up they pretty much accosted him and influenced him to call the game off. there was absolutely nothing wrong with that ground n ive gotta say ive played on pitches far worse!!!
It was clear Pumas didnt want to play as during the week they had already contacted one tree hill attempting to call the game off, hadnt put any nets up or corner flags out and nobody even went close to getting changed to play. wonder if the fact their """star""" striker was suspended n they were missing several players who were overseas for a game that could have potentially put them into relegation had they lost.
obviously have to respect the referees decision as his is final, but it was clear from the beginning that Pumas had no intention or desire to take to the park. football was definitely the loser today, conditions wouldnt have been ideal for free flowing attractive football i do admit but there was definitely no danger or safety risk to any player or official beyond that of the normal risks in a normal game under ideal conditions. shocking call from the ref, shocking attitude from the Pumas. to say they pumped us 7-0 at the start of the season i would have thought they would have been chomping at the bit to get out n do it again... how times change!

Die Yuppíe Die
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Die Yuppíe Die »

Then again they know their pitch better than anyone.
Watching players who have no idea of the LOTG whinge about the officials is half the entertainment

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

Die Yuppíe Die wrote:Then again they know their pitch better than anyone.
whats that got to do with it? pitch was playable. pitch was safe. whats knowing the ground got to do with anything... up One Tree Hill we have been out before with brooms sweeping water off the deck to try get a game happening. Now im not saying everyone is going to go to those lengths but you sign up to actually play games of soccer. not sook n make every attempt to get it called off because people might get a bit muddy whilst playing a winter sport. it was blatant they were scared of losing n wanted to put the game off n play it later in the season when more of their players were available. absolutely against the spirit of amateur league football!

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

othsc4life wrote:gotta say it was a pretty disappointing, unsporting performance from adelaide pumas today. turned up to their ground today to see the reserves game called off- fair enough. but suprisingly the pitch had held up pretty well considering the amount of rain. but not once did any pumas player, official or representative showing any willingness to want to play the first team game. just had the attitude of not wanting to play at all whilst One Tree Hill were all keen to get out.
The pitch was in pretty good condition, the odd wet slushy patch but hey its a winter sport here. there was a large puddle on one of the corner flags so we suggested bringing the touch line in 2 metres to negate the puddle on the pitch. pumas didnt want a bar of that suggestion, their excuse being because they struggle to play on narrow pitches even though it would have still been well withing regulation size. when they ref rocked up they pretty much accosted him and influenced him to call the game off. there was absolutely nothing wrong with that ground n ive gotta say ive played on pitches far worse!!!
It was clear Pumas didnt want to play as during the week they had already contacted one tree hill attempting to call the game off, hadnt put any nets up or corner flags out and nobody even went close to getting changed to play. wonder if the fact their """star""" striker was suspended n they were missing several players who were overseas for a game that could have potentially put them into relegation had they lost.
obviously have to respect the referees decision as his is final, but it was clear from the beginning that Pumas had no intention or desire to take to the park. football was definitely the loser today, conditions wouldnt have been ideal for free flowing attractive football i do admit but there was definitely no danger or safety risk to any player or official beyond that of the normal risks in a normal game under ideal conditions. shocking call from the ref, shocking attitude from the Pumas. to say they pumped us 7-0 at the start of the season i would have thought they would have been chomping at the bit to get out n do it again... how times change!
Hey mate, have a cry you reisling our pitch was flooded
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

Die Yuppíe Die
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Die Yuppíe Die »

nandoggsupasikkcunn wrote:Hey mate, have a cry you reisling our pitch was flooded
Don't make out you represent a club you don't. I thought school holidays was still another week away.
Watching players who have no idea of the LOTG whinge about the officials is half the entertainment

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

nandoggsupasikkcunn wrote:
othsc4life wrote:gotta say it was a pretty disappointing, unsporting performance from adelaide pumas today. turned up to their ground today to see the reserves game called off- fair enough. but suprisingly the pitch had held up pretty well considering the amount of rain. but not once did any pumas player, official or representative showing any willingness to want to play the first team game. just had the attitude of not wanting to play at all whilst One Tree Hill were all keen to get out.
flooded... ur obviously not talking about the same pitch. like i said there was a puddle by the corner flag... bring the sidelines in 2 meters n problem solved. a couple of slushy patches around which is to be expected by in the main the pitch was absolutely fine. would put my house n car on not one pumas player saying to the ref 'im keen to play today, lets have a game'. like i said, shockin attitude

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

Die Yuppíe Die wrote:
nandoggsupasikkcunn wrote:Hey mate, have a cry you reisling our pitch was flooded
Don't make out you represent a club you don't. I thought school holidays was still another week away.
Uwotm8
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

othsc4life wrote:
nandoggsupasikkcunn wrote:
flooded... ur obviously not talking about the same pitch. like i said there was a puddle by the corner flag... bring the sidelines in 2 meters n problem solved. a couple of slushy patches around which is to be expected by in the main the pitch was absolutely fine. would put my house n car on not one pumas player saying to the ref 'im keen to play today, lets have a game'. like i said, shockin attitude
I can understand your frustration, as I too have always been willing to play regardless of the pitch condition.

BUT.... it's the ref's decision regardless of either team's protest is it not? So whether Pumas were trying to persuade the ref or not, your frustration should be aimed at the ref who made the final decision.

You also mentioned Pumas accosted (nice word just quietly) the ref to call the game off, yet I'm struggling to understand, that given your obvious disapproval, why you weren't in the ref's other ear trying to accost (good word) him the other way?

Regarding moving the touch line, that's crazy talk, and I too wouldn't be comfortable with that decision. If the game goes ahead, man up, buy some gum boots if you must, and prepare to play through or around a puddle.

Like I said, whether Pumas had a hidden agenda or not, they are not the one's you should be filthy with. Whether they accosted (three times would you believe! Good word) the ref or not, the ref should be a big enough boy to make his own decision. I highly doubt the ref was influenced at all by the Pumas, as I'm yet to meet a ref that could care less what a club or player has to say about doing his job.

Bottom line, get over it, and look forward to testing yourself against a full strength Pumas when you do meet. There's two sides to every tale, and with all due respect, it sounds like your tale revolves around the fact you were keen to play an under strength Pumas side so as to avoid another hammering. Just saying. :wink:

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

i just dont like turning up to a game, and then having to leave without a minute of football in my legs. could 100% guarantee if they approached the ref n stated they wanted to play, n the ref approached us asking us if we were happy to play then a game would have happened.

im happy to play a full strength pumas. 100% happy to do so because i fully confident of a result. its one of the teams this season that we have our sights set on that we believe realistically we can beat. barring a major upset which can always happen on any given day we are going to struggle against the adelaide villas of this league n thats the reality of it, but pumas are wallowing at the foot of the ladder with us and therefore we believe we can have them... full strength or not. so to not have that opportunity today was disappointing to say the least.

and yes our frustration is with the referee too. and you reckon no ref has ever been influenced by any representative of a club? come on thats a touch unrealistic. happens every week at every level on football. even the very best referees in the world get influenced by certain factors n clubs. so if the professionals get influenced im pretty sure the local bloke from down the road reffing a park game would be influenced at times also

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

othsc4life wrote:i just dont like turning up to a game, and then having to leave without a minute of football in my legs. could 100% guarantee if they approached the ref n stated they wanted to play, n the ref approached us asking us if we were happy to play then a game would have happened.

im happy to play a full strength pumas. 100% happy to do so because i fully confident of a result. its one of the teams this season that we have our sights set on that we believe realistically we can beat. barring a major upset which can always happen on any given day we are going to struggle against the adelaide villas of this league n thats the reality of it, but pumas are wallowing at the foot of the ladder with us and therefore we believe we can have them... full strength or not. so to not have that opportunity today was disappointing to say the least.

and yes our frustration is with the referee too. and you reckon no ref has ever been influenced by any representative of a club? come on thats a touch unrealistic. happens every week at every level on football. even the very best referees in the world get influenced by certain factors n clubs. so if the professionals get influenced im pretty sure the local bloke from down the road reffing a park game would be influenced at times also
Fair enough mate. Just offering a neutrals perspective based on the info you offered. Regarding the ref, maybe I'm not the one to comment, as one thing I know for sure is they all hate my guts. So maybe they do listen to others, who knows.

Like I said, I understand where you're coming from, and you're not the first it's happen to, so I agree there's nothing worse then being pumped for a big game, only to travel somewhere and it's called off. Based on your story, poor form from Pumas, but I'll also repeat, they're not to blame IMO, and either the ref needed to grow a pair, or you lot needed to talk louder than the Puma lads in the ref's opposite ear.

Finally, regarding Adelaide Villa, steady on. Me thinks you may be getting a little excited there with the old any given day line, :lol: . Don't beat yourself up about it, as I'm not sure anyone poses a huge threat to that lot given the form they're in. And after watching them recently, I'm pretty sure they've got a couple extra gears to hit yet. Good to see a proud club come back after the disappointment of last season, however they're selfishly starting to make a mockery of this tight Div.2 league everyone use to rave about.

Selfish pigs. :wink:

Good luck to ya champ for the rest of the season, and keep that frustration built up, and unleash it when you do finally play the Puma lads. At the very least, you've got an added incentive to fight harder and avoid a repeat hammering. All the best to ya. :wink:

Jonesy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jonesy5 »

Change your username to Kleenex and go grab a box while your at it if your going to cry, game will be played in a couple weeks I'm assuming with you both out the club, referee called it off end of the day so ring the league take it up with them

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

Jonesy5 wrote:Change your username to Kleenex and go grab a box while your at it if your going to cry, game will be played in a couple weeks I'm assuming with you both out the club, referee called it off end of the day so ring the league take it up with them
well when you change ur username to 'original material' n ya start coming up with some i might consider it.

the forum is for posting comments, updates and opinions. i commented my opinions in an update from my view about what happened on that particular day. whats ya problem mate? I know full well the ref called it off, i was there i saw it happen. no need to remind me of that point. and it will be taken up with the league at some point about what we perceived to be the poor performance of a referee. refs, like players should be held accountable for their decisions and performances. we will be contacting the relevant authority that holds refs accountable for this to give them our version of events and then its up to them what action is taken. end of the day whatever the association decides, says or does is final so what will be will be... but still wont stop me coming on here putting across my opinions complaining or praising those decisions

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

I'm sure pumas would have rarther their "star" striker serve the ban against one tree hill rather than adelaide villa this week...so I don't think that would have been a factor...unless u got a photo evidence etc it would be hard to lodge a credible argument against the ref to te saasl...
don't know how much rain was in adelaide because we where up at breakers but that pitch was really good considering all the rain and conditions! No slipping and sliding at all!!
And Credit where credit is due, we had a really good ref (tall Asian guy) at breakers, first time I've seen him but was very consistent and understood and reffed to the conditions really well...

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

Hey 5cougars, a certain fat hairy man may be making his season debut against Cougars this Saturday, so he is expecting some of that homemade bbq goodness to ease the pain afterwards.

Can you confirm that this luxury will be available on Saturday? It may be the difference between faking a hammy or not half way through the game. :wink:

5cougarsthanx
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 5cougarsthanx »

Hey brother!
Good to hear you are returning to the pitch mate!!
I can bet u mate that we will have some delicious continental produce available to please your culinary fantasies lol!!!
I have officially retired from soccer full stop brother so you won't see me there but with out doubt Luc will be on the charcoal BBQ!!!

Good luck on Saturday! Hope you pull up ok!
CROYDON COUGARS SC Est 1999

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

Shame you've retired mate, as it would have been good to shout you a beer.

Nevertheless, looks like Luc will have gain some big business once I conveniently pull a hammy in the 43rd minute.

Two things are a certainty, I will not pull up ok, yet I will still be eating well.

Thanks again mate, and I hope you're not missing the game too much. I should have probably followed in your footsteps, however I'm just a sucker for punishment. :wink:

5cougarsthanx
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 5cougarsthanx »

Thanks Azzurri.
Family and work commitments have become first preference over soccer.
I will miss the competitiveness of playing on a Saturday for sure!
CROYDON COUGARS SC Est 1999

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

Round 11 predictions

ONE TREE HILL v STIRLING - hope we're up for the game, can't afford to drop points and OTH are improving as they gain experience
COUGARS v SALS VILLA - Cougars gone for the season
FLINDERS v STHN BREAKERS - tough and tight
MA HAWKS v GLEESON - one they should win as they are genuine contenders
ADEL VILLA v ADEL PUMAS - cricket score?
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

otto62 wrote:Round 11 predictions

ONE TREE HILL v STIRLING - hope we're up for the game, can't afford to drop points and OTH are improving as they gain experience
COUGARS v SALS VILLA - Cougars gone for the season
FLINDERS v STHN BREAKERS - tough and tight
MA HAWKS v GLEESON - one they should win as they are genuine contenders
ADEL VILLA v ADEL PUMAS - cricket score?

ill play the prediction game with you....as no one else is doing it!
ill go
one tree hill on this one....its going to be a ping pong match on this small pitch!! beautiful football WILL not be played!!
draw
breakers
hawks (but i really don't like this fixture...slightly worried...)
and yeah cricket score in this one! A.villa easy!