SATURDAY DIVISION 2 2014

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: SATURDAY DIVISION 2 2014

Post by Azzurri80 »

Who is this mysterious Toffeeman?

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

Ref I got the ball wrote:I am a spokesperson from Southern Breakers.
It is true we are short on numbers this season, due to no reason other than players leaving the area or not playing anymore.
We have approached the League to play with one team in a lower division but they said this is not possible, we are now slowly picking up more players and utilising our under 17's for the first few weeks of the season.
We are trying our best to get 2 teams on the pitch every round still.
On behalf of our club we apologise to all Division 2 clubs involved and we are trying everything to remedy the situation.
Also if there are any players who are not playing with any team at the moment and interested in a game at our friendly club please call our club contact in the yearbook.
I certainly know the feeling mate. Its a very hard situation n one that you can do very little to stop. We have been in the same position this season after losing 8 of our A grade from last season and being new to div 2. certainly means the season could prove to be very tough. We have however managed to pick up a couple of handy players and hope to be competing this season. but definitely feeling your pain!!! The league said the same thing to us also

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Sad to see you guys struggling for numbers...and unfortunate that this week you guys aren't bringing a b team down for round 1 at hawks our boys where looking forward to getting the season started this week in the b's! But looking forward to the a's hope you guys can eventually get some more numbers...

Johnno48
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Johnno48 »

My table prediction based on very little:

Adelaide Villa
Cougars
Salisbury Villa
Stirling
MA Hawks
Pumas
Flinders
Gleeson
One Tree Hill
Southern Breakers

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

A Villa
S Villa
Hawks
Pumas
Stirling
Flinders
Gleeson
OTH
Breakers
Cougars
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

lufc02
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by lufc02 »

Massive difference of opinion about where cougars will finish in those two most recent posts....

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

mushrow wrote:A Villa
S Villa
Hawks
Pumas
Stirling
Flinders
Gleeson
OTH
Breakers
Cougars
Surely you're having a laugh here, right? Cougars were solid last year and just missed out on promotion. Also had one of the strongest, if not the strongest defenses in the league. Also just picked up last season's top scorer (by a mile). I hope you're having a laugh, and not just stupid. :lol:

Did I miss something regarding Hawks? Why are they being tipped so highly? Losing Joshy has to be a big hit, as well as others by all reports.

If S.Villa can get more than one fit striker on the park this season, I think they are strong contenders for the title. My guess:

S.Villa/ A.Villa
Cougars
Stirling
Pumas
Gleeson
Flinders
Hawks
OTH
Breakers

Gonna be another close and exciting season. I expect Gleeson to be the big improvers. The middle three of Pumas, Gleeson and Flinders could beat anyone on their day, and could decide the title for the top 2 or 3. Some cracking games to be played.

Good luck to all.

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Villa
Stirling
Flinders
S.villa
Cougars
Breakers
Pumas
Gleason
Oth

Ill leave hawks out as I play for them...so I'll do a top 9.
Losing anyone in a club you sort of take a hit...but some new faces and new blood can make a difference...

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

n8,

you guys still got Cheney as player/coach?

5cougarsthanx
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 5cougarsthanx »

Cheney is with Cougars mate, valuable signing!
CROYDON COUGARS SC Est 1999

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Na stopped coaching half way through last season....from last account he was at cougars and then apparently the other night he hung up the boots....

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

5cougarsthanx wrote:Cheney is with Cougars mate, valuable signing!
Cheney and Matteo! If Cheney can get to his best that could be a devastating combo. Cheney's always had raw talent, and even at half his best he's dangerous. Mind you it's been many years since I've seen him play as he was always injured when our teams met in recent years. Considering how close they are, I'm surprised he and Joshy didn't stick together. I remember Joshy only went to Hawks so he could play with Cheney again. Wanted to relive the Polonia days.

Sounds like a lot of teams have made some nice signings this season and making a real push for promotion. Div 2 shaping up to be the comp to watch! Better start my pre-season soon then. :roll:

I think Cheney is just like many of us. Although our bodies start revolting, we love it too much to hang the boots up when we should. Like I said, a player of his talent would still have a lot to offer regardless. Be good for the league to see him out there.

5cougarsthanx
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 5cougarsthanx »

Azzurri80 wrote:
5cougarsthanx wrote:Cheney is with Cougars mate, valuable signing!
Cheney and Matteo! If Cheney can get to his best that could be a devastating combo. Cheney's always had raw talent, and even at half his best he's dangerous. Mind you it's been many years since I've seen him play as he was always injured when our teams met in recent years. Considering how close they are, I'm surprised he and Joshy didn't stick together. I remember Joshy only went to Hawks so he could play with Cheney again. Wanted to relive the Polonia days.

Sounds like a lot of teams have made some nice signings this season and making a real push for promotion. Div 2 shaping up to be the comp to watch! Better start my pre-season soon then. :roll:

I think Cheney is just like many of us. Although our bodies start revolting, we love it too much to hang the boots up when we should. Like I said, a player of his talent would still have a lot to offer regardless. Be good for the league to see him out there.
Yep, you are right! Gun of a player and a champion bloke as well. Going to be nice to have him around the club!! He smashed some lovely volleys past me at training on Tuesday, hasn't lost his touch that's for sure!!!
All the best to Salis Villa this year!! Hey who will u pick on now that your mate is in division 1 lol??

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

5cougarsthanx wrote: Yep, you are right! Gun of a player and a champion bloke as well. Going to be nice to have him around the club!! He smashed some lovely volleys past me at training on Tuesday, hasn't lost his touch that's for sure!!!
All the best to Salis Villa this year!! Hey who will u pick on now that your mate is in division 1 lol??
Yeah top bloke. Had many a good times with Changez. The one's a remember anyway. Spent many a nights/mornings on his lounge trying to remember my first name. :roll:

Cheers mate. Should get some peace and quiet now our peasant mate will be busy bamboozaling the poor souls in Div 1. I'll continue to follow his progress, and that of Steve's, just for entertainment's sake. :lol:

I'm sure it won't take long for someone to put their hand up though. :D

To be honest I'm yet to kick into gear with illness interrupting my pre-season. I should be out in the next week or two, but will be a journey to get back to some sort of fitness. By all reports our squad's grown nicely with quite a few new additions to strengthen our group, so I'm probably not needed that much. Still a few key members from the A's out in pre-season, hence the results in the warm ups, but the reserves were looking great which should only have a knock on effect for the A's once a few get promoted with a chance to prove themselves.

Good luck to Cougars too mate, and don't think I forgot about that home made bbq from last season! I expect nothing less when we visit next. :wink:

5cougarsthanx
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 5cougarsthanx »

Lol
We will have the salsicce, capacolo and zepole waiting for ya buddy!

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

5cougarsthanx wrote:Lol
We will have the salsicce, capacolo and zepole waiting for ya buddy!
If that's not reason enough to play on this season, I don't know what is!

Cheers mate.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

COUGARS V STIRLING - I have to go for a draw here, but for me Cougars are one of the two favourites to win the league
GLEESON V ADEL VILLA - Adelaide Villa are my other favourites for the title
MA HAWKS V SOUTHERN BREAKERS - Breakers always lose the first game of the season when it's away from home
FLINDERS V SALS VILLA - Villa too good for the newly promoted team
ONE TREE HILL V ADEL PUMAS - I think OTH might just manage a draw for their first home game in this division
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Hit the Post
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hit the Post »

Anyone care to comment on what they thought of the opposition on Saturday???
After seeing Stirling first hand I thought they passed the ball around really well and on another day could of taken something out of the game. I think they will definetley be around the promotion spots come the end of the year.

n8
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by n8 »

Breakers allways a very defensive minded and solid team...hard to score goals against!

5cougarsthanx
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 5cougarsthanx »

STIRLING ONE TREE HILL BRADWOOD PARK
SALS VILLA COUGARS REG GROTH RESERVE
STHN BREAKERS FLINDERS 1 PORT ELLIOT OVAL
GLEESON MA HAWKS POORAKA FOOTBALL GROUND
ADEL PUMAS ADEL VILLA THOMAS TURNER RESERVE (1)

Stirling to beat OTH easily
Tough battle between Salis Villa and Cougars, draw
Breakers at home in a close one
Gleeson will test MA Hawks, close game, draw again
Adelaide Villa will put Pumas to the test for sure, and will be brought back down to earth. Villa by 3.

Johnno48
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Johnno48 »

Breakers any closer to fielding a reserves side this week?

ChelseaGK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ChelseaGK »

STIRLING v ONE TREE HILL - Stirling easily
SALS VILLA v COUGARS - Cougars just
STHN BREAKERS v FLINDERS - Draw... or Flinders by 1
GLEESON v MA HAWKS - Tight game, GFC to bounce back :)
ADEL PUMAS v ADEL VILLA - Villa by a few. Quality side.

PingKong
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by PingKong »

STIRLING v ONE TREE HILL
SALS VILLA v COUGARS
STHN BREAKERS v FLINDERS
GLEESON v MA HAWKS
ADEL PUMAS v ADEL VILLA

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

STIRLING v ONE TREE HILL - hopefully OTH don't get a reaction after last week
SALS VILLA v COUGARS - close call, but I think Cougars to just edge it
STHN BREAKERS v FLINDERS - it's a long trip that most teams won't enjoy this year
GLEESON v MA HAWKS - I feel like Gleeson promise a lot and then under deliver
ADEL PUMAS v ADEL VILLA - this will be another close game
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Hit the Post
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hit the Post »

Stirling vs One Tree Hill- Stirling to kick a few more than Pumas did last week.
Villa vs Cougars - will rain goals I think, Cougars by a couple though.
Breakers vs Flinders - Flinders to beat a very defensive and boring Breakers.
Gleeson vs MA Hawks - Gleeson to bounce back this week and get a close win.
Pumas vs Villa- good tight game here, Villa may edge this one just.

FleetFoot102
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by FleetFoot102 »

Stirling vs One Tree Hill
Villa vs Cougars
Breakers vs Flinders
Gleeson vs MA Hawks
Pumas vs Villa

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

Hit the post wrote:Stirling vs One Tree Hill- Stirling to kick a few more than Pumas did last week.
Really hope not lol. dont fancy driving all that way to cop another pasting haha. I do think it will be a different story, hopefully we have learnt some lessons from our mistakes last week. I would be bitterly disappoint if we allowed that to happen again

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

othsc4life wrote:
Hit the post wrote:Stirling vs One Tree Hill- Stirling to kick a few more than Pumas did last week.
Really hope not lol. dont fancy driving all that way to cop another pasting haha. I do think it will be a different story, hopefully we have learnt some lessons from our mistakes last week. I would be bitterly disappoint if we allowed that to happen again
I think OTH will have learnt a lot from last week and I hope our boys keep their focus.
You can't afford to underestimate anyone in this division.
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Hit the Post
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hit the Post »

othsc4life wrote:
Not having a crack mate, just think Stirling are a very good team, we played them last week and they could of got some points off us on another day.

othsc4life
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by othsc4life »

Hit the post wrote:
othsc4life wrote:
Not having a crack mate, just think Stirling are a very good team, we played them last week and they could of got some points off us on another day.
nah not saying you were having a crack. was just making a comment on the game, and on the post. going by our clubs position of losing players, along with last weeks result against Pumas i think its probably a fair prediction. can definitely see the grounds on which your prediction is based. I do believe the scoreline blew out to a lot more than it should have against Pumas, but fair credit to them as they made us pay for some lacklustre football in the final 20 minutes, got on a role and tore us apart. I would like to think that its shown us that to be competitive at this level you really do need to stay focused for 90 minutes. In div 3 you could get away with little lapses. We are now obviously in div 2 and we failed to step up last week. I will certainly be expecting a response from our players!