Rumor!!!

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

MuzzaStu111
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Rumor!!!

Post by MuzzaStu111 »

I hear Saasl are considering having a finals format in every div! :D

The moyesiah
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Rumor!!!

Post by The moyesiah »

MuzzaStu111 wrote:I hear Saasl are considering having a finals format in every div! :D
Would be good for the top 6 or something

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Yes I'm sure with clubs struggling to get their grounds to last until the final round and swatting away the groundsmen waiting on the lines to pull the goalposts out for cricket season this would be a roaring success across more than 6 divisions x 2 grades... :roll:

The fishing has been reasonable today huh?

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

MuzzaStu111 wrote:I hear Saasl are considering having a finals format in every div! :D
no chance.......NEXT !!!!!!

Jack Mehorf
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jack Mehorf »

Would be a crap idea :!: would never happen.

roc1978
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by roc1978 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You wouldn't be a AFL lover trying to play real football, would you??

The best and most consistent teams should be rewarded, not just who turns up on the day. U :clown:

Getting Rusty
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Getting Rusty »

Not the best bait but snagged a few.
No country who has never qualified for the world cup should be allowed to host it at the expense of one who has.
Sod Japan, sod Qatar, sod Blatter and his cronies!

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

Getting Rusty wrote:Not the best bait but snagged a few.
yes but they were all throw backs :)

Robbo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Robbo »

if the SAASL did do a finals series there would be an extra 4 weeks of soccer - we'd have to start early March (which isn't unreasonable really)

its not such a silly idea really, (as much as I think who finishes top should win the league!) but the reason other codes do it is for a massive cash injection if nothing else

If the finals were played on a home and away basis then it would be better financially for the clubs, but I do like the way we have it now

htfac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by htfac »

This Finals Series caper?? Whats the point??? Why reward inconsistent and marginally better than average teams? What other "footballing" countries have a similar setup?

MuzzaStu111
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by MuzzaStu111 »

Not a footy lover at all.

But... I do like finals fever high intensity all on the line do or die action!

The moyesiah
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The moyesiah »

http://ffaus.co/17j9FYl

Maybe the SAASL cup winner should enter this???

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

htfac wrote:This Finals Series caper?? Whats the point??? Why reward inconsistent and marginally better than average teams? What other "footballing" countries have a similar setup?
Agreed 100% - why should a team that finishes 4th or 5th deserve to be promoted ahead of the top 2 teams for example.. CRAZY!

ive been involved with the FFSA for a number of years and always hated the finals format!
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

What are thoughts on play offs for 2nd promotion spots between 2nd and 3rd?

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

Increasing the number of teams to 12 is the only thing that should be changed.

The Challenge Cup is the SAASL grand final & that's they way it should stay none of this Micky Mouse stuff.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

The Budapestian
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Budapestian »

Not a great idea I reckon, at the moment having 18 rounds some clubs cant wait for the end of season.
If anything they should shorten the season, have a Saturday cup and a Sunday cup both separate rather then combined.

1. Players obviously play on there desired day for particular reasons.
2. Gives Clubs more of a chance to have success, with fewer teams in cup
3. There is no need for Sunday teams to play Saturday teams.

4. Shorten the season, don't extend it were not professionals!!

terminator
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by terminator »

Robbo wrote:if the SAASL did do a finals series there would be an extra 4 weeks of soccer - we'd have to start early March (which isn't unreasonable really)

its not such a silly idea really, (as much as I think who finishes top should win the league!) but the reason other codes do it is for a massive cash injection if nothing else

If the finals were played on a home and away basis then it would be better financially for the clubs, but I do like the way we have it now
Would be great for you guys because you can never finish top in your own right - would give you guys a chance to finally win Div 1 :D

carntyne square
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by carntyne square »

terminator wrote:
Robbo wrote:if the SAASL did do a finals series there would be an extra 4 weeks of soccer - we'd have to start early March (which isn't unreasonable really)

Would be great for you guys because you can never finish top in your own right - would give you guys a chance to finally win Div 1 :D
when we can afford to win div one we'll let ya know. :wink:

Azzurri80
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azzurri80 »

A little off topic, but a new cup comp has been introduced, which is great for Australian football and the lower divisions in my opinion.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/coc ... back/73772

Would be great if we were all under the one umbrella, and nationally league winners in the amateur Sat & Sun div's were given a wildcard entry into the cup the following season.

In regards to our current setup, if it ain't broke.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

Blueblood wrote:What are thoughts on play offs for 2nd promotion spots between 2nd and 3rd?
ummm u finish 2nd in a top 2 promo .. why the fk should u play off for the spot??? thats like making the winners play off for a single spot with the runner up lol :lol:
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

Hit the Post
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hit the Post »

PASC wrote:
Blueblood wrote:What are thoughts on play offs for 2nd promotion spots between 2nd and 3rd?
ummm u finish 2nd in a top 2 promo .. why the fk should u play off for the spot??? thats like making the winners play off for a single spot with the runner up lol :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Probably one of the worst ideas I have read on this forum. Sorry Blueblood :wink:

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

There use to be a time when clubs that were dedicated soccer venues ( didnt have to worry about cricket ) had more then one pitch to play on, would host end of season carnival - short games ( 15 min halves ) round robin,makes for a long day but a lot of fun, good money raiser, good social aspect by mixing and getting to know other players.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

The Budapestian wrote: 4. Shorten the season, don't extend it were not professionals!!
NO...if anything go 12 teams per division and lengthen it accordingly...

fowler_23
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by fowler_23 »

Steve#4 wrote:
The Budapestian wrote: 4. Shorten the season, don't extend it were not professionals!!
NO...if anything go 12 teams per division and lengthen it accordingly...
Spot on!!!!
Bill Shankly at Dixie Dean's funeral -
'I know this is a sad occasion, but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd to Goodison than Everton on a Saturday afternoon'

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

dont see anything wrong with 12 team divisions, top 2 promoted and 3rd-6th have playoff spot, top 3 down, means 9 of 12 league spots are worth playing for right till the end of the season, keeps everyone interested. Div 1 obviously as issue (in terms of keeping it interested), but such is life in the big league.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

Terrible Shot wrote:
PASC wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Probably one of the worst ideas I have read on this forum. Sorry Blueblood :wink:
& I agree. I only mentioned it because of Jack's comment re other leagues in other footballing countries. I don't even agree with the clubs being able to get promoted from 6th spot in England. I understand why it is done, to try and keep all games competitive for the duration of the season, and I would definitely be glad and take it if it happened to my club, but I think 3rd spot should win it outright if three go up. I fully agree with the Italian leagues' idea of if the 3rd placed team is a certain number if points ahead of 4th, the. No play offs.
I also think 12 team divs throughout the amateur league would be a step forward.
Last edited by Ernie Cooksey on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

sephiroth wrote:dont see anything wrong with 12 team divisions, top 2 promoted and 3rd-6th have playoff spot, top 3 down, means 9 of 12 league spots are worth playing for right till the end of the season, keeps everyone interested. Div 1 obviously as issue (in terms of keeping it interested), but such is life in the big league.
Europe :P

Ernie Cooksey
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ernie Cooksey »

sephiroth wrote:dont see anything wrong with 12 team divisions, top 2 promoted and 3rd-6th have playoff spot, top 3 down, means 9 of 12 league spots are worth playing for right till the end of the season, keeps everyone interested. Div 1 obviously as issue (in terms of keeping it interested), but such is life in the big league.
top 3 go down? :shock: that's new! :lol:

The moyesiah
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The moyesiah »

shheeesh the FFSA have just or are about to extend junior leagues to 26 rounds and 30 rounds and SAASL players complain about 18 and want less. The SAASL should delete a few of their leagues and extend leagues to 12/14 or even 15 teams per league, not 10.

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

Blueblood wrote:
top 3 go down? :shock: that's new! :lol:
obvious typo is obvious, debate the merits.