sos swannsong

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

downslowman
Apprentice
Apprentice

sos swannsong

Post by downslowman »

Swanny; I can't remember what strip we wore at Elizabeth Park juniors.When we amalgamated with east we wore ASTON VILLA COLOURS. can you help???

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Re: sos swannsong

Post by swannsong »

Always remember Elizabeth Park being Maroon & Sky Blue !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

50cent
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by 50cent »

Yep - the Elizabeth Park strip was maroon and light blue for most of the time I played (on a pitch on Argana Park near the corner with Midway Road - where the aussie rules oval is now). The strip was later changed to black and gold (like Wolverhampton Wanderers) prior to them becoming Eastern Park.

Farpost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Farpost »

Yes, my recollection was that Eliz Park were maroon & blue; played on the eastern side pitch at Argana Park, adj Mavros Rd (Downs played on the western side pitch). In those days there was a scraggly line of trees between the Downs & Pak pitches. I also recall playing the odd game against Eliz Park at the Eliz Park Primary school.

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

Yes, claret and blue. Devon Stothard, Ray Faulkner and Jeff Pillinger were some of our Junior coaches I had during that time. We won the league with Ray in 72 or 73. Paul George and Brian Cornish were mates. Clifford Faulkner had a lot of ability. Great times.
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

Farpost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Farpost »

Pretty sure Malcolm Richardson played juniors there - later captained Campbelltown City at Fed level, and coached PHW on their way up to Sunday Div 1.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Farpost wrote:Pretty sure Malcolm Richardson played juniors there - later captained Campbelltown City at Fed level, and coached PHW on their way up to Sunday Div 1.
Correct ! Graham Cornish, Brian Cornish, Malcom Richardson, Nigel Barnard, Kevin Kelly, Paul Hollis, Stuart Hollis, Clifford Faulkner, Cameron Faulkner (?), Keith Hughes....... are some of the names I remember.
They began in 1961, Eddie Thornton, Fred Brooks and "Geordie Cooling were at the helm in the first year and they initially played at Dauntsey Road. Brian Deeley coached in 1962.
Some other players for Elizabeth Park included....(from Len Spriggs book)
1962 - Norman Brooks, Tibby Baumeister, Nigel Douglas and Bill Coleman...selected for the Zone squad.
1963 - Bill Doughty, Ray Halford Barry Pyke ...selected for the Inter-Zone squad.
1964 - Tom Kelly and Tom Foy joined as coaches...Peter Lucas...selected for the U14 Zone squad.
1966 - D. Hendrie... selected for the U13 Zone squad.
1967 - Tom Lavelle and Harry Edwards were officals...D.McAlpine...selected for the U12 Zone squad.
1969 - D.McAlpine...selected for the U14 Zone squad.
1970 - George Forrest...selected for the U14 Zone squad.
1971 - Malcolm Richardson...selected for the U14 Zone squad.
1973 - Stephen Lishman, Malcolm Richardson, Michael Cartwright, Clifford Faulkner, Brian Cornish...selected for the U16 Ampol Night Series squad.
Merged with Elizabeth East at the end on 1975 to become Eastern Park.

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

swannsong wrote:
Farpost wrote:Pretty sure Malcolm Richardson played juniors there - later captained Campbelltown City at Fed level, and coached PHW on their way up to Sunday Div 1.
Correct ! Graham Cornish, Brian Cornish, Malcom Richardson, Nigel Barnard, Kevin Kelly, Paul Hollis, Stuart Hollis, Clifford Faulkner, Cameron Faulkner (?), Keith Hughes....... are some of the names I remember.
They began in 1961, Eddie Thornton, Fred Brooks and "Geordie Cooling were at the helm in the first year and they initially played at Dauntsey Road. Brian Deeley coached in 1962.
1962 - Norman Brooks, Tibby Baumeister, Nigel Douglas and Bill Coleman...selected for the Zone squad.
1963 - Bill Doughty, Ray Halford Barry Pyke ...selected for the Inter-Zone squad.
1964 - Tom Kelly and Tom Foy joined as coaches...Peter Lucas...selected for the U14 Zone squad.
1967 - Tom Lavelle and Harry Edwards were officals...D.McAlpine...selected for the U12 Zone squad.
1973 - Stephen Lishman, Malcolm Richardson, Michael Cartwright, Clifford Faulkner, Brian Cornish...selected for the U16 Ampol Night Series squad.
Fantastic Swansong!! George Forrest was an amazing talent and probably the best rock and roller in his RM boots and Celtic top. Mal Richardson was captain of Ray Faulkner's title winning side. Later on we had a few good tussles when he played for Campbelltown against Elizabeth City. I remember when Nigel Barnard left the Park and went and played at the Downs.
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

swannsong wrote:
Fantastic Swansong!! George Forrest was an amazing talent and probably the best rock and roller in his RM boots and Celtic top. Mal Richardson was captain of Ray Faulkner's title winning side. Later on we had a few good tussles when he played for Campbelltown against Elizabeth City. I remember when Nigel Barnard left the Park and went and played at the Downs.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

mushrow wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Played with Nigel Barnard when he moved across in the Under 16s...had an older brother Les I think !

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

thought eliz east was maroon and blue - eliz park were gold and black.

Azz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azz »

swannsong wrote:
mushrow wrote:
Played with Nigel Barnard when he moved across in the Under 16s...had an older brother Les I think !
Know the Barnards well and Yes Les is a brother was also quite the Aussie Rules player for Eastern Park too.

downslowman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by downslowman »

Once again Swanny, thanks! I played for the Park in the mid 70's at the primary school. For away games we'ed get picked up at the shops in Mr Smalldons milk truck. Great memmories. The coach was Norm Steadoff. Dont know if it's the right spelling but he took u
s from getting our ass's kicked to winning cups and leauge's over a 4 or 5 year period.
Some players i remember Andrew Ford, David readett, Graham Brierly and there was a Campbell who went to APAC.
For the life of me i can't remember what strip we wore at the Park. Deffinately Aston Villa colours at Eastern Park. Thanks!!

Farpost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Farpost »

Eastern Park won the u/15s cup final in '77 against a side coached by Mr D Swann. Must have been a lot of maroon on the pitch that day.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Farpost wrote:Eastern Park won the u/15s cup final in '77 against a side coached by Mr D Swann. Must have been a lot of maroon on the pitch that day.
Brother Dave....think most of that Downs under 15 side went to APAC...Steve Main, Gary Evans, Gary Meekoms, Chris Cornish, Dave Edwards, Ross KcKinnon, Robbie Chilvers.....and others