Football fan looking for local knowledge

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

big tackle
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Football fan looking for local knowledge

Post by big tackle »

Yeah g'day boys, I have just moved here from Barking, UK, and yeah love my football. Just want to know a bit more about the amatuer leagues, you know, who to follow, who are the big teams. You know I really like my old school hard football, I don't want to follow a team with anyone wearing hi-viz puffter boots.

Any info would be smashing.

Ps: if only I was 20 years younger I'd be asking you fellas where's best to pull the old boots on.

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Football fan looking for local knowledge

Post by gone »

Knowledge? Your looking in the wrong place. There is no intelligent life on this forum.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

I'm sure the Mongs or the Biffs could find a place for you on the sideline on a Sunday afternoon.
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Prince Nuggett
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Prince Nuggett »

Welcome big tackle. I'm a Sunday fan myself so you could follow:
Ingle Farm, Elizabeth Vale, Modbury Vista, Pontians, Para Hills West, Parafield Gardens, Elizabeth Downs, Salisbury Inter or West Beach. Don't worry about following Fulham as they will be in div 2 next year.

The Northern Lights
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Northern Lights »

big tackle wrote:Yeah g'day boys, I have just moved here from Barking, UK, and yeah love my football. Just want to know a bit more about the amatuer leagues, you know, who to follow, who are the big teams. You know I really like my old school hard football, I don't want to follow a team with anyone wearing hi-viz puffter boots.

Ps: if only I was 20 years younger I'd be asking you fellas where's best to pull the old boots on.
if you do fancy pulling the boots on there's an over 35's league.

big tackle
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by big tackle »

Well it's a good idea fella, but me saying that its my age holding me back, that's a small porkie pie you know. I won't be pulling the boots on again due to being overweight,
Having lost my once mustard passing and vision,
Now having the touch of a brick wall,
Not being able to walk afterwards for a month,
My sprint being more of a brisk walk,
And my once legendary big tackle (on the field in this instance) would have me worried that I won't get back up!

Ps: love your enthusiasm though chap.

The Northern Lights
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Northern Lights »

big tackle wrote:Well it's a good idea fella, but me saying that its my age holding me back, that's a small porkie pie you know. I won't be pulling the boots on again due to being overweight,
And my once legendary big tackle (on the field in this instance) would have me worried that I won't get back up!

you'll fit right in in the 35's then, were all on the same boat!, lol, if that was a job application then youd get the job!! lol
the 35's have even shortened the games to 80 minutes & unlimited substitutions to accommodate all this!!!lol

predator
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by predator »

big tackle wrote: I don't want to follow a team with anyone wearing hi-viz puffter boots.
better find a different sport to watch then

Prince Nuggett

Post by Prince Nuggett »

The Northern Lights wrote:
big tackle wrote:Well it's a good idea fella, but me saying that its my age holding me back, that's a small porkie pie you know. I won't be pulling the boots on again due to being overweight,

you'll fit right in in the 35's then, were all on the same boat!, lol, if that was a job application then youd get the job!! lol
the 35's have even shortened the games to 80 minutes & unlimited substitutions to accommodate all this!!!lol
Over35's?? You'd probably get a starting gig at Fulham!!

bomber Harris
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by bomber Harris »

big tackle wrote:Yeah g'day boys, I have just moved here from Barking, UK, and yeah love my football. Just want to know a bit more about the amatuer leagues, you know, who to follow, who are the big teams. You know I really like my old school hard football, I don't want to follow a team with anyone wearing hi-viz puffter boots.

Welcome BT, Barking you say. That's "Hamster" country if I'm right.

Which side of town are you living, this may help with teams to follow, as there are Saturday & Sunday amateur teams.
Lots of good clubs in both leagues.
"We Fear No Foe"

big tackle
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by big tackle »

bomber Harris wrote:

Welcome BT, Barking you say. That's "Hamster" country if I'm right.

Which side of town are you living, this may help with teams to follow, as there are Saturday & Sunday amateur teams.
Lots of good clubs in both leagues.
I'm well impressed with the response of the forum, the guys back in the east end wouldn't know how to post on a forum, even construct a sentence for that matter, like, Bobbie refused to get a bank card till last year!! Good times.

I'm 15 minutes north of the city, and it has to be Sundays because I work Saturdays, no rest for the wicked an all that.

I don't mind travelling to watch games, I just want a hard hitting old fashioned side.

Ps: I'm definitely not playing again, just going to etiquette teams from the side, because we all know, like, it was better back in the day.

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

There would be no better game for a football fan than the one at Bradman Road Parafield Gardens next Sunday 21 July 3pm KO with the leagues 2 biggest clubs Parafield Gardens vs Elizabeth Downs playing for top spot.

There will be plenty of people with local knowledge just not the Mongs who arent local & have no knowledge.
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

big tackle wrote:I just want a hard hitting old fashioned side.
Spoken like a true Englishman!

Pump it long fellas...:lol:
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

lefty wrote:There would be no better game for a football fan than the one at Bradman Road Parafield Gardens next Sunday 21 July 3pm KO with the leagues 2 biggest clubs Parafield Gardens vs Elizabeth Downs playing for top spot.

There will be plenty of people with local knowledge just not the Mongs who arent local & have no knowledge.
Mongs = Vocal Garbage.... :wink:
There will be plenty of banter slung from one end of the pitch to the other during the game. It will be a great game to watch .... but.... it just may be the game that decides the league ...!!
Every Rat has his day !!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

These attributes have never stopped any of the Downs Fossils having a run on a Sunday !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

big tackle
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by big tackle »

lefty wrote:There would be no better game for a football fan than the one at Bradman Road Parafield Gardens next Sunday 21 July 3pm KO with the leagues 2 biggest clubs Parafield Gardens vs Elizabeth Downs playing for top spot.

Well book me in, you know, that sounds like it will be a great game to take my amatuer football viewing virginity. I hope it gets propper heated playing for the top spot.

Prince Nuggett

Post by Prince Nuggett »

I think you have your hand on your big tackle.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Prince Nuggett wrote:

I think you have your hand on your big tackle.
:lol: :lol: Sounds like a fair ol wind up don it lads...

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Being from Barking you'll probably want to bring your Burberry jacket and white socks along to the Gardens-Downs game to get the best taste of the Amateur game - Downs even play in maroon - that's close enough to claret for you. Downs even have a couple of Irons fans as well, Gardens have plenty of irons!

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

[quote="lefty"]There would be no better game for a football fan than the one at Bradman Road Parafield Gardens next Sunday 21 July 3pm KO with the leagues 2 biggest clubs Parafield Gardens vs Elizabeth Downs playing for top spot.

There will be plenty of people with local knowledge just not the Mongs who arent local & have no knowledge.[/quote
]
As you can see by this last response a boat load of wit and knowledge waiting for you at parafield, plus a boat load of asbestos and 3 types of beer match day. As for local knowledge he may be on to something if you want to learn all about counting to ten, learning how to tie you boot laces and most importantly of all how to clean windows with your tongue...Oh and I forgot sooky pauly...Waa Waa, Waa pauly. A king named after a turd and some bright spark who likes to call himself cocko....
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

lefty
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by lefty »

legga wrote:As you can see by this last response a boat load of wit and knowledge waiting for you at parafield, plus a boat load of asbestos and 3 types of beer match day. As for local knowledge he may be on to something if you want to learn all about counting to ten, learning how to tie you boot laces and most importantly of all how to clean windows with your tongue...Oh and I forgot sooky pauly...Waa Waa, Waa pauly. A king named after a turd and some bright spark who likes to call himself cocko....
Make that 4 if you count the TED's that you bring :wink:
I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate....Thierry Henry

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

legga wrote: As you can see by this last response a boat load of wit and knowledge waiting for you at parafield, plus a boat load of asbestos and 3 types of beer match day. As for local knowledge he may be on to something if you want to learn all about counting to ten, learning how to tie you boot laces and most importantly of all how to clean windows with your tongue...Oh and I forgot sooky pauly...Waa Waa, Waa pauly. A king named after a turd and some bright spark who likes to call himself cocko....
Counting to 10 is 7 more than they can count to at Mongsville with their
front teeth missing they find it hard to get past 3 ..!! They still have Velcro in their boots at Mongana Park as Mongs don't have the dexterity to tie laces ..!!
May clean our windows with our tongues but Mongs have clean sheets :wink:
Every Rat has his day !!

THE ORAKLE
Star Player
Star Player

Post by THE ORAKLE »

sounds like ghan maywand blue nile or hazara might be the teams for you big tackle. :wink:

big tackle
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by big tackle »

I tell you what, I don't think I need to go to any matches, just sit down in front of the computer and refresh this forum, Robin Hood banter being thrown about.

And I'll definitely be donning the flat cap, and knock off Burberry, because its a bit taters!

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

big tackle wrote:I tell you what, I don't think I need to go to any matches, just sit down in front of the computer and refresh this forum, Robin Hood banter being thrown about.

And I'll definitely be donning the flat cap, and knock off Burberry, because its a bit taters!
the parafield vs downs game should be a nice eye opener for ya
:lol: :wink:
Last edited by PASC on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

PASC wrote:
big tackle wrote:I tell you what, I don't think I need to go to any matches, just sit down in front of the computer and refresh this forum, Robin Hood banter being thrown about.

the downs vs parafield game should be a nice eye opener for ya
Downs already won that one 2-0.....but the return leg at Parafield would be an eye-opener and will give either team's supporters bragging rights depending on the result.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

4-4-2
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by 4-4-2 »

lefty wrote:
legga wrote:As you can see by this last response a boat load of wit and knowledge waiting for you at parafield, plus a boat load of asbestos and 3 types of beer match day. As for local knowledge he may be on to something if you want to learn all about counting to ten, learning how to tie you boot laces and most importantly of all how to clean windows with your tongue...Oh and I forgot sooky pauly...Waa Waa, Waa pauly. A king named after a turd and some bright spark who likes to call himself cocko....
Perhaps the gardens supporters should practice what they preach re: bringing their own drinks :wink:
Last edited by 4-4-2 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

4-4-2 wrote:
lefty wrote:
Perhaps the gardens supporters should practice what they re: bringing their own drinks :wink:
Perhaps the gardens supporters should practice what they "Preach" re: bringing their own drinks :wink:

Missing word I assume?

Prince Nuggett

Post by Prince Nuggett »

legga wrote:

There will be plenty of people with local knowledge just not the Mongs who arent local & have no knowledge.[/quote
]
As you can see by this last response a boat load of wit and knowledge waiting for you at parafield, plus a boat load of asbestos and 3 types of beer match day. As for local knowledge he may be on to something if you want to learn all about counting to ten, learning how to tie you boot laces and most importantly of all how to clean windows with your tongue...Oh and I forgot sooky pauly...Waa Waa, Waa pauly. A king named after a turd and some bright spark who likes to call himself cocko....
I didn't think you lot were that sophisticated that you need more beer choice than Draught or VB.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

PASC wrote:

the parafield vs downs game should be a nice eye opener for ya
just for you swanny :wink:
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.