Naming names

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

50cent
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Naming names

Post by 50cent »

I haven't commented on this for a month or so because (a) I didn't want it to be obvious what post I was refering to, and (b) I wanted to calm down and consider exactly what I wanted to say... Which is:
This is an amateur league forum. Nobody who plays in this league is earning big bucks, has a high profile, or yearns publicity (okay, maybe there are a few exceptions, but generally this is true).
Do any of you keyboard warriors realise, or care about, the damage and upset you potentially (and actually) cause when you name and criticise individual players?
It is a shitty and gutless thing to do.
This isn't the EPL or the A League where players get paid and punters pay money to watch. You want to sledge those guys, go for it - they're fair game within reason.
This is the South Australian amateur league - ostensibly played for fun, by people who either aren't good enough, or don't have the dedication to play professionally - and watched by people who pay no admission fee.
Therefore the comments made on here impact on people who have lives beyond, and more important than, football.
And they can hurt more than feelings and pride.
Here's a good rule of thumb... If you (really) wouldn't go up to someone and say it to their face, don't write it here. If you do, it just demonstrates what a sad, gutless sherry you really are.
Have a great season.

East Boy
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Naming names

Post by East Boy »

Unfortunately mate its a forum.
I have personally been smashed on this forum and you just have to take it on the chin and know that who ever you are, your club mates and people that actually know you are the opinions that matter.
Reality is some people get paid stupid amounts to play amateur football and train maybe once/twice a week. Thats fact.
They are usually the ones that have played at a high level, so that is kind of high profile for us in the amateur league.
Your always going to have keyboard warriors and they are usually the guys who dont play first team and dont know about respecting your peers.

SID
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SID »

Personal attacks , as in personal life outside of football shouldn't be tolerated.
But everyone has an opinion on people's abilities and this is a public forum where those opinions can be aired..... As in life , some people like ya and some don't ....

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Majority of ppl on the Amatuer forum know who each other are ...
Or from which club they are based at
Fair call that if it is a personal attack that's a no go
But bit of banter is what keeps this site going

Gardensgoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gardensgoon »

bloodypassit wrote:Majority of ppl on the Amatuer forum know who each other are ...
I disagree. I believe the so called BANTER has made this forum barely readable and dull. Just my opinion though.

Green Warrior
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Green Warrior »

Gardensgoon wrote:
bloodypassit wrote:Majority of ppl on the Amatuer forum know who each other are ...
I disagree. I believe the so called BANTER has made this forum barely readable and dull. Just my opinion though.
Nice one "gardenstool". Not so quick to condemn nugget or other garden people over the years. Just seems to be unreadable when your not winning. And how about the thugs that line the pitches and hide behind the crowd to intimidate (and some times worse) the opposition who only want to have a game of football in this so called ameteur league? We should be cracking down on them. Not the "keyboard warriors" that hurt your precious feelings!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

If I had a cry every time someone took the piss out of me on here or I was known on a pitch because of on here then I'd run out of tears. I've even had referees mention my forum posts.

It's all a laugh and move on. I'd like to think I don't give out personal attacks (well not to people I don't know and know they can take it) and I've certainly not had any that have upset me.

I'm a cabernet old bald footballer who's lost what pace he had and only good enough to play in the reserves now. However, I am exceptionally good looking.

To anyone who wants to insult me, go for it. I couldn't give a cabernet and if it's a new and unique one you'll probably get a laugh back from me. Life's too short to give a shiraz.

Gardensgoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gardensgoon »

Green Warrior wrote:
Gardensgoon wrote:
Nice one "gardenstool". Not so quick to condemn nugget or other garden people over the years. Just seems to be unreadable when your not winning. And how about the thugs that line the pitches and hide behind the crowd to intimidate (and some times worse) the opposition who only want to have a game of football in this so called ameteur league? We should be cracking down on them. Not the "keyboard warriors" that hurt your precious feelings!
Imagine that, being called a tool for expressing my opinion on a public forum! Your awesome.
To be honest I've played for plenty of years in the amateur league and never once have felt intimidated on or of the pitch. So not sure what your saying there.
What does anything nugget said got to do with me?
And no more insults my precious feelings couldn't handle anymore...

Azz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Azz »

God is an Englishman wrote: To anyone who wants to insult me, go for it. I couldn't give a cabernet and if it's a new and unique one you'll probably get a laugh back from me. Life's too short to give a shiraz.
This is spot on and I'm the same, Ive heard some quality fat jokes aimed at me and will always have a laugh if they are decent jokes/banter.

People have opinions and won't see eye to eye on different topics, that's life and happens everywhere just don't get so tied up on it

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

God is an Englishman wrote:If I had a cry every time someone took the piss out of me on here or I was known on a pitch because of on here then I'd run out of tears. I've even had club referees mention my forum posts.

It's all a laugh and move on. I'd like to think I don't give out personal attacks (well not to people I don't know and know they can take it) and I've certainly not had any that have upset me.

I'm a cabernet old bald footballer who's lost what pace he had and have only ever been good enough to play in the reserves. However, I am exceptionally good looking.

To anyone who wants to insult me, go for it. I couldn't give a cabernet and if it's a new and unique one you'll probably get a laugh back from me. Life's too short to give a shiraz.
Edited for accuracy.
Agia Lavra 1821!

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

edited for more accuracy.......
I'm a cabernet old bald footballer who's lost what pace he had and have only ever been good enough to play in the reserves. However, I am not exceptionally good looking.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

MegaBonus wrote:edited for more accuracy.......
I'm a cabernet old bald footballer who's lost what pace he had and have only ever been good enough to play in the reserves. However, I am not exceptionally good looking.

he is so vain, he thinks even the animals fall for his charm...
:lol:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:If I had a cry every time someone took the piss out of me on here or I was known on a pitch because of on here then I'd run out of tears. I've even had referees mention my forum posts.

I'm a cabernet old bald footballer who's lost what pace he had and only good enough to play in the reserves now. However, I am exceptionally good looking.

You bottle of shiraz grenache champagne sherry cabernet chardonnay shiraz you.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:If I had a cry every time someone took the piss out of me on here or I was known on a pitch because of on here then I'd run out of tears. I've even had club referees mention my forum posts.

I'm a cabernet old bald footballer who's lost what pace he had and have only ever been good enough to play in the reserves. However, I am exceptionally good looking.

Edited for accuracy.
Played first team for every side I have ever been involved with.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

bubu wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:edited for more accuracy.......

he is so vain, he thinks even the animals fall for his charm...
I'm not australian, why would I want animals to fall for me?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

The only difference between someone abusing a player on here on standing on the sidelines and doing it is that on the sidelines their words don't change to wine varietals.

If no-one is going to stop abuse at games, why stop it here? It may be faceless here, but it's nameless at games.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

I cant recall a vicious attack on this forum to be honest.

However 50Cent does raise some points, I hadnt considered.

Whilst I appreciate the "toughen up" comments, I think it is banter up to a point.

But like I said I cant recall something over the top.
Agia Lavra 1821!

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

50cent wrote:I haven't commented on this for a month or so because (a) I didn't want it to be obvious what post I was refering to, and (b) I wanted to calm down and consider exactly what I wanted to say... Which is:
This is an amateur league forum. Nobody who plays in this league is earning big bucks, has a high profile, or yearns publicity (okay, maybe there are a few exceptions, but generally this is true).
Do any of you keyboard warriors realise, or care about, the damage and upset you potentially (and actually) cause when you name and criticise individual players?
It is a shitty and gutless thing to do.
This isn't the EPL or the A League where players get paid and punters pay money to watch. You want to sledge those guys, go for it - they're fair game within reason.
This is the South Australian amateur league - ostensibly played for fun, by people who either aren't good enough, or don't have the dedication to play professionally - and watched by people who pay no admission fee.
Therefore the comments made on here impact on people who have lives beyond, and more important than, football.
And they can hurt more than feelings and pride.
Here's a good rule of thumb... If you (really) wouldn't go up to someone and say it to their face, don't write it here. If you do, it just demonstrates what a sad, gutless sherry you really are.
Have a great season.

Everyone knows the Downs pay players, they have built up a successful club and have the ability to pay players well done, depends on your perception as to whether it's 'big bucks' and they have (and still do) have some 'high profile' players

Naming and criticising players is part and parcel of the game, bringing their personal life into, is going to far, however you haven't mentioned this so not sure if this has been the issue?
Are you Bodo in disguise?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Lucas Leiva wrote:The only difference between someone abusing a player on here on standing on the sidelines and doing it is that on the sidelines their words don't change to wine varietals.

If no-one is going to stop abuse at games, why stop it here? It may be faceless here, but it's nameless at games.
I wonder if anyone will ever get upset if called a champagne (literally) after years of FN swear filtering? :P
Ignore this signature

Big G
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Big G »

if your feelings are hurt, you have the right not not visit this site.

Gardensgoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gardensgoon »

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:I cant recall a vicious attack on this forum to be honest.

However 50Cent does raise some points, I hadnt considered.

Whilst I appreciate the "toughen up" comments, I think it is banter up to a point.

But like I said I cant recall something over the top.
Same. Can't recall anything over the top either. Most of the banter seems to be by guys that know each other. Boring, yes. Vicious, no!

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Bomber wrote:
Lucas Leiva wrote:The only difference between someone abusing a player on here on standing on the sidelines and doing it is that on the sidelines their words don't change to wine varietals.

I wonder if anyone will ever get upset if called a champagne (literally) after years of FN swear filtering? :P

Love it

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

before the big derby games everyone used to on here running their mouths, now they shut up until after they win :lol: :lol:
ImageImage

Clever Trevor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Clever Trevor »

Lucas Leiva wrote:
Bomber wrote:

Love it
Think you will find that the French own that word, thus can only be directed at a Frenchman :lol:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

I think I know the discussion 50cent is referring to...it was a wee bit personal !
Hope all goes well for that player, except when we play against him :wink:
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

You Too
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by You Too »

Sorry, if it was me. I honestly think of comments on here as a bit of harmless banter. All for a bit of a laugh. Hate to think people are taking this seriously.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

DOC wrote:before the big derby games everyone used to on here running their mouths, now they shut up until after they win :lol: :lol:
I didn't hold back before we smashed your mob. :wink:
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

BowTiesAreCool wrote:
DOC wrote:before the big derby games everyone used to on here running their mouths, now they shut up until after they win :lol: :lol:
2-1 isn't a smashing mate :wink:
ImageImage

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

DOC wrote:
BowTiesAreCool wrote:
2-1 isn't a smashing mate :wink:

The Budapestian
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Budapestian »

If teams are desperate and take things too serious, then fine let them pay players (seems like a waste to me) if your club can survive to play season after season, then that itself is rewarding it’s the volunteers of each club that generally keep the clubs running, Budapest don’t need to pay a cent and we have been around 40+ years, Just like sides that pay bucks to their players.
If you want to take it ridiculously serious then sign yourself or your club up to feds or something if you want to get your name on a meaningful trophy.
But like 50cent said know one is any better than anyone here, many play because there not good enough, fun, or have more important commitments.
At the end of the day we are all…."SH#t"…we play amateurs it’s a social league.