Gleeson named in Division 3

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Gleeson named in Division 3

Post by PASC »

im not seeing the comparison to sunday here, sunday div 3 had the 2 bottom teams(macos and bosna) drop, which is perfectly ok with the usual way things work.... so Munno para and TTG go up, then western strikers folded which means para hills lions went up as the 3rd placed team.
pretty clear to me. i dont see why beograd is getting dragged into it.

The gleeson thing... sound like a different kettle of fish... ive never heard of an 8th placed team being dropped...
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

ChelseaGK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ChelseaGK »

swannsong wrote:
ChelseaGK wrote:And so when in the year before we came 3rd in Div3, we were asked if we wanted to fill the 3rd Div2 spot and agreed to take on the challenge. The 4th place team and 5th place team were also asked but declined. Our willingness to help out the league has bitten us in the muscat - and it could be the final time.
Sorry to play Devil's advocate...but !
Why has it bitten you on the muscat ? Because you didn't finish 3rd bottom ?
Gleeson had an opportunity to possibly win a 9 team Division 2 and be promoted to the Premier Division....unfortunately you didn't perform too well last season.
Was there a guarantee that you wouldn't be relegated ? Did you know 2 teams would be relegated when you were competing in 2012 ?
As far back as I can remember, the bottom team and second bottom team in a Division have been relegated and Division numbers have been adjusted by promoting teams from the lower Division ie 3rd., 4th. and sometimes 5th. With exceptions where a Division might require fieldind an A's & B's.

We found out late last preseason that we would be invited to div2 instead of competing in div3 again as we had been preparing to. We accepted the challenge and yes you're correct, the bottom two go down (9th and 10th - we came 8th) and their rules state divs 1&2 must be a 10 team league. So instead last year of forcing 4th place div3 (murray bridge) up and creating 10 teams we had a 9 team div and most clubs did not appreciate it. It was their wrong decision (against policy) last year not to promote another team that has bitten us this year.
There was no guarantee last year or this year of relegation of 2 teams.

And seeing sunday div 2 turn out the way it has is the icing on the delicious cake that is SAASL.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

PASC wrote:im not seeing the comparison to sunday here, sunday div 3 had the 2 bottom teams(macos and bosna) drop, which is perfectly ok with the usual way things work.... so Munno para and TTG go up, then western strikers folded which means para hills lions went up as the 3rd placed team.

The gleeson thing... sound like a different kettle of fish... ive never heard of an 8th placed team being dropped...
situation similar in that africa united pulled out so it was a 9 team league.

Think of sunday div 2 and replace bosna with africa. Difference being that bosna were suspended and africa quit the league. Then the difference becomes bosna were counted as the relegated team on sunday but africa weren't (as they didn't exist) on saturday.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ChelseaGK wrote:
swannsong wrote:
ChelseaGK wrote:And so when in the year before we came 3rd in Div3, we were asked if we wanted to fill the 3rd Div2 spot and agreed to take on the challenge. The 4th place team and 5th place team were also asked but declined. Our willingness to help out the league has bitten us in the muscat - and it could be the final time.
Gleeson had an opportunity to possibly win a 9 team Division 2 and be promoted to the Premier Division....unfortunately you didn't perform too well last season.
Was there a guarantee that you wouldn't be relegated ? Did you know 2 teams would be relegated when you were competing in 2012 ?
As far back as I can remember, the bottom team and second bottom team in a Division have been relegated and Division numbers have been adjusted by promoting teams from the lower Division ie 3rd., 4th. and sometimes 5th. With exceptions where a Division might require fieldind an A's & B's.

We found out late last preseason that we would be invited to div2 instead of competing in div3 again as we had been preparing to. We accepted the challenge and yes you're correct, the bottom two go down (9th and 10th - we came 8th) and their rules state divs 1&2 must be a 10 team league. So instead last year of forcing 4th place div3 (murray bridge) up and creating 10 teams we had a 9 team div and most clubs did not appreciate it. It was their wrong decision (against policy) last year not to promote another team that has bitten us this year.
There was no guarantee last year or this year of relegation of 2 teams.

And seeing sunday div 2 turn out the way it has is the icing on the delicious cake that is SAASL.
I did not say that 9th and 10th go down (that is the case in a 10 team Division....if it were a 12 team Division 11th and 12th go down), I said the bottom 2 are relegated (sometimes even if it is an 8 team Division) ! Increasing a Division numbers or restoring back to the preferred number has generally been achieved through promoting extra teams.....that is what I said :)
It would be fair to say Gleeson struggled in Division 2 with your A's finishing second bottom and your B's finishing bottom !
ACU Falcons and Murray Bridge, who were also offered promotion, also both struggled in Division 3, finishing 10th (bottom) and 8th repectively.
Would it also be fair to say that Gleeson too could have knocked back promotion ?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

And their lies the problem, clubs knocking back promotion.
Agia Lavra 1821!

MuzzaStu111
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by MuzzaStu111 »

Woohoo! Hope that crazy dude still plays for Gleeson had a ball firing him up!

stickhead
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by stickhead »

I don't think teams should be allowed to knock back promotion. What is the point of playing if you are not trying to win every game and push for promotion.
There was an uproar about having a 9 team league last year, all hell would have broken loose if there was an 8 team league.

I understand that the league in the past have relegated the bottom 2 and promoted 3 to make up numbers.
They also have in their rules that:
There shall be ten teams competing in each division or section of a division with the
exception of the lowest division or section of a division competing in its appropriate
league championship which amy have more or less than ten teams.

Which they also went against.

All of that being said, why were we told we are in Div 2 then not keep your word??? For me that is the most disappointing part!!!!!

swannsong wrote:

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

God is an Englishman wrote:
PASC wrote:im not seeing the comparison to sunday here, sunday div 3 had the 2 bottom teams(macos and bosna) drop, which is perfectly ok with the usual way things work.... so Munno para and TTG go up, then western strikers folded which means para hills lions went up as the 3rd placed team.

Think of sunday div 2 and replace bosna with africa. Difference being that bosna were suspended and africa quit the league. Then the difference becomes bosna were counted as the relegated team on sunday but africa weren't (as they didn't exist) on saturday.
i see, so in a 9 team league does 9th and 8th go down? or just 9th? i guess the league should have made that clear from the start or promoted someone?
like you said with bosna it was a suspension, the club didnt fold, technically sunday div 2 was still a 10 team league, they still showed bosna on the table. like someone said before bosna even happened to be above southern knights on goal diff at one stage... :lol:

i wonder what would have happened if a team or two actually finished with zero points and negative goals?? would bosna still have been dropped??
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Yes thats fine .. but Budapest finishing 9th by one point were not even afforded the option to stay up even though 8th placed USC pulled out ... so 4th and 5th placed Div 3 were given preference over the 9th placed Div 2 ... I know the rationale the the league uses but that does not make it equitable or right..

Seems to be a similar scenario to what you guys are facing this year ....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Sacred Noodle wrote:

Yes thats fine .. but Budapest finishing 9th by one point were not even afforded the option to stay up even though 8th placed USC pulled out ... so 4th and 5th placed Div 3 were given preference over the 9th placed Div 2 ... I know the rationale the the league uses but that does not make it equitable or right..

Completely different, you finished 9th and in the bottom 2.

BPBC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BPBC »

PASC wrote:

i see, so in a 9 team league does 9th and 8th go down? or just 9th? i guess the league should have made that clear from the start or promoted someone?
like you said with bosna it was a suspension, the club didnt fold, technically sunday div 2 was still a 10 team league, they still showed bosna on the table. like someone said before bosna even happened to be above southern knights on goal diff at one stage... :lol:

i wonder what would have happened if a team or two actually finished with zero points and negative goals?? would bosna still have been dropped??
No 2 teams could have finished on zero points as they would have had to face each other twice during the year with either or both getting points

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

good point!!!

:oops:

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

It's a farkkkin shomozle that the league has brought upon itself...Instead of sitting on their arses last season they should have told the clubs what was going to happen and stand by it..... :oops: @ SAASL...

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Steve#6 wrote:It's a farkkkin shomozle that the league has brought upon itself...Instead of sitting on their arses last season they should have told the clubs what was going to happen and stand by it..... :oops: @ SAASL...
Did the clubs take the initiative and ask what was going to happen ? ....I don't understand why anyone would think if they finished in the bottom 2 places they might not be relegated. :o

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

swannsong wrote:
Steve#6 wrote:It's a farkkkin shomozle that the league has brought upon itself...Instead of sitting on their arses last season they should have told the clubs what was going to happen and stand by it..... :oops: @ SAASL...
Did the clubs take the initiative and ask what was going to happen ? ....I don't understand why anyone would think if they finished in the bottom 2 places they might not be relegated. :o
I am pretty sure they did from what I heard but Gleeson can confirm...Either way the League should have made it clear last season what was going to happen before the sides kicked a ball....Slack.

kramerica
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by kramerica »

hey steve, after reading this topic, in my opinion the league have practiced what they state in the league rules bottom 2 go down, and typically vacancies filled by next highest in lower division. It's not 9th and 10th that go down, otherwise what happens in a 12 team league, is it 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th. What happens in an 8 team league, nobody goes down? Why should it be different for a 9 team league. I'm the first to admit I assumed only 1 was going down from div 2 last year, but it was an assumption and I think I was wrong on that.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

8th didn't get relegated from sunday div 2 though.

And the league told Gleeson they weren't being relegated.

To my mind, africa finished 10th as they appeared in the fixture lists and weren't replaced. Had gleeson been like the other

gooner4life
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gooner4life »

“We do not buy superstars. We make them.”
Arsene Wenger

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Sacred Noodle wrote:

Completely different, you finished 9th and in the bottom 2.

Is not completely different ... whether there are 9, 10, or 16 teams Gleeson still finished bottom two and the league policy is that bottom two go down two come up and a make up team from the lower Div makes up the numbers JUST AS GLEESON ENDED UP IN DIV 2 IN THE FIRST PLACE - BY DEFAULT ....

Anyway the thread can end now and hopefullt every ones happy little vegemites:

Saturday Division 2
Stirling
Salisbury Villa
Modbury Jets
Vipers
Red/Blue Eagles
Cougars
Monarchs
Adelaide Pumas
Southern Breakers
Gleeson

Saturday Division 3
Budapest
Adelaide Uni (2)
Hazara
Murray Bridge United
Angkor Hornbill
USC Lion
Flinders 2
Hahndorf
McLaren Districts
Flinders 1

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

but were they bottom 2, that was africa and hahndorf in my opinion

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

saasl really need to hire an accountable GM or COO to handle this cabernet. old men should go back to being a board and maybe we can unite football in SA.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

manimal wrote:saasl really need to hire an accountable GM or COO to handle this cabernet. old men should go back to being a board and maybe we can unite football in SA.
At least we know if a player is supended or not.
Agia Lavra 1821!

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:
manimal wrote:saasl really need to hire an accountable GM or COO to handle this cabernet. old men should go back to being a board and maybe we can unite football in SA.
At least we know if a player is supended or not.
Not really .... Ask Megabonus

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

God is an Englishman wrote:8th didn't get relegated from sunday div 2 though.

And the league told Gleeson they weren't being relegated.

To my mind, africa finished 10th as they appeared in the fixture lists and weren't replaced. Had gleeson been like the other
Yup......Any way looks like it is sorted now.

Stevo
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Stevo »

All sorted my muscat.

Sure Flinders finished in 3rd in Div 3 and 4 and Gleeson have a right to complain but look at the situation now.

Flinders Div 4 finished 3rd on goal difference to USC Lion. Lion played and destroyed the weakest teams in that comp, Flinders through 'forfeits' didnt get to play those teams and so didnt get a chance to rack up a big goal difference. As such Lion went up and we didnt. Sure maybe we wouldnt have but we would have liked to have that chance. Still we copt it on the chin, our Div 3's finished in 3rd as well and didnt want two clubs in the same div.

No we have a situation where we were put up to div's 2 and 3 as Gleeson were relegated. Now i understand the goings on before the end of the season and although Gleeson finished stone motherless last in their div i also understand their frustration at being relegated when they said they wouldnt be.

STILL we are now in a situation where Torrens Valley and One Tree Hill have been promoted from Div 4 to Div 3, the teams that finished bloody FOUTH and FIFTH!

So not only do we not finish second on goal difference in part due to not getting to play certain teams, a club that finishes TWO places BELLOW us on the table get promoted above us???????

Sorry for the vent and im probably overreacting but ive just heard about this and its a joke, whats the point of playing, training and trying your best all season just to see a team who finised SEVEN POINTS and two places bellow you get rewarded above you.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Gleeson didnt finish last.

Regardless what is the basis of not alloiwng the same club in the competition? Is it the fear of collusion?
Agia Lavra 1821!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Stevo wrote:All sorted my muscat.

Sure Flinders finished in 3rd in Div 3 and 4 and Gleeson have a right to complain but look at the situation now.

Flinders Div 4 finished 3rd on goal difference to USC Lion. Lion played and destroyed the weakest teams in that comp, Flinders through 'forfeits' didnt get to play those teams and so didnt get a chance to rack up a big goal difference. As such Lion went up and we didnt. Sure maybe we wouldnt have but we would have liked to have that chance. Still we copt it on the chin, our Div 3's finished in 3rd as well and didnt want two clubs in the same div.

No we have a situation where we were put up to div's 2 and 3 as Gleeson were relegated. Now i understand the goings on before the end of the season and although Gleeson finished stone motherless last in their div i also understand their frustration at being relegated when they said they wouldnt be.

STILL we are now in a situation where Torrens Valley and One Tree Hill have been promoted from Div 4 to Div 3, the teams that finished bloody FOUTH and FIFTH!

So not only do we not finish second on goal difference in part due to not getting to play certain teams, a club that finishes TWO places BELLOW us on the table get promoted above us???????

Sorry for the vent and im probably overreacting but ive just heard about this and its a joke, whats the point of playing, training and trying your best all season just to see a team who finised SEVEN POINTS and two places bellow you get rewarded above you.
I see your frustration but....if players from last years Flinders Division 4 team want to play Division 3 can't they push for a place in the current Division 3 side and help get them promoted to Dvision 2 ????

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Gleeson didn't finish last.

Even if you'd finished first, you can't have 2 teams in the same division.

If you're good enough for Division 3 then you'll get a spot in your division 3 side.

Fudpucker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Fudpucker »

Whilst I can understand Stevo's frustration it has been mentioned in previous topics that Flinders are able to move players freely between division 3 and 4 to fill gaps where they are short which is apparently within the rules. However if they were to have two teams in the same division I would imagine the teams would have to be set and the only changes would have to be done prior to transfer deadline. I guess there would be nothing stopping them from moving their 5/6 up to their Div 3s.

It's still a little unclear, is it that Flinders don't want two teams in one division? Or is it that the league will not allow it? Or is it both?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Fudpucker wrote:

Whilst I can understand Stevo's frustration it has been mentioned in previous topics that Flinders are able to move players freely between division 3 and 4 to fill gaps where they are short which is apparently within the rules. However if they were to have two teams in the same division I would imagine the teams would have to be set and the only changes would have to be done prior to transfer deadline. I guess there would be nothing stopping them from moving their 5/6 up to their Div 3s.

It's still a little unclear, is it that Flinders don't want two teams in one division? Or is it that the league will not allow it? Or is it both?
Imagine a situation......last game of the season Flinders v Flinders....one Flinders team...sitting mid table...other Flinders team need 3 points for promotion....what would your club do in this situation with promotion and prize money on the line ????