Adelaide Thistle

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Mr Boombastic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adelaide Thistle

Post by Mr Boombastic »

I was talking to an old boy at the Playford game today, he was asking about Adelaide Thistle, did they ever exist?

The old boy said he just come back from NSW and wanted to find the guys who use to run the club.

Can anyone shed some light?

Maybe he was thinking about Adelaide Celtic but definitely said Thistle.
NOTHING SOFT COMES OUT OF ELIZABETH

PLAYFORD CITY PATRIOTS FC The pride of Elizabeth

Jinky Bhoy
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: Adelaide Thistle

Post by Jinky Bhoy »

I have heard from a few celtic supporters that someone is reforming adelaide celtic maybe for next season? maybe something to do with this guy you spoke with, maybe he did mean celtic not thistle.

I am Costanza
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by I am Costanza »

In the late 60's early 70's there was Elizabeth Thistle but not sure who ran the club or if this is the one you mean
BLSC - est 1971
1982 Div 4b
1989 Div 3b
2004 Div 4b
2006 Div 4a & Div 10
2009 Div 3b
2010 Div 3a & 3b
2013 Div 2b & Div 7
2014 Div 2b
2015 Div 2a, 2b, & Div 6 Sat & Sun

Mr Boombastic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr Boombastic »

I am Costanza wrote:In the late 60's early 70's there was Elizabeth Thistle but not sure who ran the club or if this is the one you mean
He did say that they played in Elizabeth so you could be right, does anyone know who was running this club?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

From memory they played at Elizabeth West....my coach at Elizabeth Downs (1968-1970) Phil Clifford played for them before the Downs Seniors began in 1971.

Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Euromaiden
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Euromaiden »

Swansong you are an absolute gentleman... your knowledge Is next to none of the local always a privilege to read your posts

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

I played against Elizabeth Thistle,they were a great bunch of blokes, played up around Eliz North/West somewhere The bit I do know about some of the guys, Jackie Barr ( brilliant player )went to play for Uniroyal. Joe Pirri, Kev Rayner,Bill McCauley,, Norm Robertson Ian Davies all had time at Salibury Inter ( where I met them )Graham Box spent quite a few years at Brahma Lodge SC. Davies then moved down south, had a lot to do with Hallett Cove when they first joined the saasl.

( and you are right about swansong )

Mr Boombastic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr Boombastic »

Wow, thankyou swannsong! The guy who was asking said that he would come back to a Playford game so I will let him know and print the pic to show him.

Not sure of this guys name, His brother played at the club when they first come to Australia together, I think he was keen to go support them again not realising they no longer exist.

Thanks again!

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

adelaide celtic was almost reformed this year as a masters side but lacked numbers, not sure if an adelaide celtic could be reformed in a normal saasl div and start from the bottom though as again numbers would be a problem, as most celtic supporters are happy at current clubs
ImageImage

HailHail
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by HailHail »

DOC wrote:adelaide celtic was almost reformed this year as a masters side but lacked numbers, not sure if an adelaide celtic could be reformed in a normal saasl div and start from the bottom though as again numbers would be a problem, as most celtic supporters are happy at current clubs
that was celtic old bhoys, id play for adelaide celtic no worries, not because im unhappy but id love to play for the team me old man played for as a kid. would be great to see Adelaide Celtic reform in a saturday division, so everyone could still support the sunday teams but come together on a saturday. my mrs would absolutely love that! hehe.. Hail shiraz Hail
"AND THEY GAVE US JAMES McGRORY AND PAUL McSTAY, THEY GAVE US JOHNSTONE, TULLEY, MURDOCH, AULD AND HAY, AND MOST OF THE FOOTBALL GREATS HAVE PASSED THROUGH PARKHEAD'S GATES, FOR TO PLAY FOOTBALL THE GLASGOW CELTIC WAY"

HailHail
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by HailHail »

also, I believe there was an Adelaide Scotland at some stage? could be incorrect, im looking at Swannsong?
"AND THEY GAVE US JAMES McGRORY AND PAUL McSTAY, THEY GAVE US JOHNSTONE, TULLEY, MURDOCH, AULD AND HAY, AND MOST OF THE FOOTBALL GREATS HAVE PASSED THROUGH PARKHEAD'S GATES, FOR TO PLAY FOOTBALL THE GLASGOW CELTIC WAY"

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

HailHail wrote:also, I believe there was an Adelaide Scotland at some stage? could be incorrect, im looking at Swannsong?
Don't recall a team of that name....maybe they were in the Masters League ??
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

swannsong wrote:
HailHail wrote:also, I believe there was an Adelaide Scotland at some stage? could be incorrect, im looking at Swannsong?
I am with Swannsong, the only team I recall with that name was in the Masters League when it first started

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Caretaker Coach wrote:
swannsong wrote:
I am with Swannsong, the only team I recall with that name was in the Masters League when it first started
This may be the SASF players in the 1980s who used to get together to play some friendly games as "Adelaide Scotland". This group included Wally Bojczuk and they may also have been coached by Donald Campbell.

Ned
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ned »

Smithfield

kingswood
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by kingswood »

.... And there was a Port Thistle in the federation at one stage; they were around from about 1930 to 1957, when they amalgamated with Port Adelaide. They won a couple of league titles in the 1930's. Johnny Moriarty and Charlie Perkins began their playing careers with them.