Para Hills West ( 4 ) Southern Knights ( 1 )....with pics

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Para Hills West ( 4 ) Southern Knights ( 1 )....with pics

Post by swannsong »

Para Hills West ( 4 ) Southern Knights ( 1 )
......................................David Mooney

Southern Knights travelled to Northbri Avenue hoping to end their "pointless" start to the 2012 season and from the kick-off it seemed that their hopes might be realised. Knights had Para Hills West chasing the ball as they played the ball around well, Ben Smith led from the midfield with support from Ben Jones and Chris Bradley. Bradley Armour and Andy Alvino, along with David Mooney formed the thrust of attack whilst Matt Harrison, Stephen Maguire, Chris Bouzoudis and Jim Stewart seemed to establish a good defensive formation in front of Brenton Rowe in goal.
Despite the visitors prowess, Para Hills West drew first blood and took an early 1-0 lead... but Knights continued to dominate on the ball and eventually a well timed strike from David Mooney found its way passed Richard Watkins in West's goal.
The sides went to the break at 1-1.
Soon after the break (as happened last week against Brahma Lodge ) Knights found themselves behind once more.
Then an undisciplined spell by Knights saw a flurry of yellow cards from referee David Kenewell, leaving the visitors with only 10 men on the park.
From that point on it was a struggle for Knights with one less option on the field and Brenton Rowe was called upon to make several good saves and Westies finishing as 4-1 victors.. As the game progressed and Wests confidencegrew, Ben Smith made a few changes bringing on Paul Martin, Leigh White and Ian Bourne but it never had quite the impact that was needed.
Unfortunately Knights made their way back to club sponsors, the Marion Hotel licking their wounds and still looking for much needed points.

Link to all 2012 Para Hills West v Southern Knights photos

Link to SAASL facebook group - 2011 - A year In Pictures - Link to a collection of links to SAASL images and stats....

Image Image
David Mooney, Andy Alvino and Ben Smith combined well early in the game....

Image Image

A few close calls for Richard Watkins in West's goal as Knights put the home side under a little early pressure.

Chris Bouzoudis teamed up well with Matt Harrison and Jim Stewart in defense for Knights.

Image Image

Image Image
If I close my eyes then Matt Harrison can't see me.........Chris Bouzoudis wins a defensive header.

Image Image
Para Hills West forwards celebrate taking an early lead.......Stephen Maguire prepares to send in a free kick.

Ben Jones goes close to equalising for Knights.

Image Image

Image Image
Chris Bradley looks to gain control watched by David Mooney and Matt Harrison whilst Colin Mooney and a referees inspector looks on.

:shock:

Image Image

Ben Smith looks on as Chris Bouzoudis takes control...

Image Image

Image Image

Richard Watkins is unable to keep out a stunning David Mooney strike....1-1.

Image Image

Andy Alvino, still yet to make his mark despite some strong runs.

With Knights playing some good football and levelling the game, Ben Smith addresses his players at half time.

Image Image

Para Hills West made it 2-1 soon after the half time interval...

Image Image
Knights start to find themselves under the pump.

Image Image
Para Hills West extend their lead to 3-1 .....

Brento Rowe, despite the deficit, kept his cool and made several good saves.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image

4-1 to Para Hills West...

Reserves
Para Hills West ( 6 ) Southern Knights ( 0 )

Southern Knights were minus captain Steve Fulton for their game at Para Hills West but Aaron O'Toole was to make his debut after overcoming a pre-season muscle tear.
The game was fairly balanced until about the 10th. minute when what appeared to be a standard corner suddenly became a penalty and subsequently a reduction down to 10 men for Southern Knights. With Knights 1-0 down on the score card and 11-10 down in personnel, the whole balance, attitude and atmosphere of the game changed and the visitors found themselves 4-0 down at half time (I think ?). In the second half Knights looked more competetive with Tom Salvemini putting in a great effort, unfortunately (or fortunately ? depending on who you support ) a good save from West's keeper denied Paul Thompson from the penalty spot. However, the home side scored twice more and finished the game 6-0 winners.

Image Image

Tom Salvemini putting in a workhorse like effort all over the park.

Image Image

Law 15 : A corner is actually a penalty :shock:

1-0 to the home side from the "corner" spot ! :(

Image Image

Image Image
The one that got away...2-0 to Para Hills West

Image Image
AAron O'Toole making his official debut in Knights colours...

Image Image

Image Image

A good save from the penalty spot denies Knights a goal...

Tom Salvemini struggles to free his hand embedded in the turf !!!

Goal number 6 for Para Hills West.

Round 1 - Southern Knights ( 2 ) MSSC Blue Eagles ( 5 )
Round 2 - Southern Knights ( 0 ) Brahma Lodge ( 2 )
Round 3 - Para Hills West ( 4 ) Southern Knights ( 1 )
Last edited by swannsong on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Para Hills West ( 4 ) Southern Knights ( 1 )....with pic

Post by Knight15 »

Thanks Swanny, was 5-0 halftime in the reserves, 6-0 fulltime and we missed a penalty in the second half

Will count the days until the rematch
Are you Bodo in disguise?

ontheblackburner
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by ontheblackburner »

Does someone want to explain what happened? I remember when we played PHW a few years back and this ref made some interesting calls throughout the match.
#venkysout

Salisbury Florina (1970 - 2018)
2005 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions
2009 SAASL Sunday Premier League Champions
2013 SAASL Sunday Division 2 Champions

https://www.facebook.com/MantonStTribe
https://www.twitter.com/MantonStTribe

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ontheblackburner wrote:Does someone want to explain what happened? I remember when we played PHW a few years back and this ref made some interesting calls throughout the match.
No :)

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

ontheblackburner wrote:Does someone want to explain what happened? I remember when we played PHW a few years back and this ref made some interesting calls throughout the match.
We played them last year - we were winning 2-1 with about 15 minutes to go, they ended up winning 3-2. I made a point of congratulating the referee - he was good and fair - they were just too young and too fit - no sour grapes

This year they had a different referee - enough said

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Left Right Out »

I have a question - If the new rules/laws that are or have been introduced are they being followed by all referee's?

Look at the photo's that Swanny took from this game? (The clubs have done nothing wrong)

New rules state -
Teams can NOT have the same colour socks???? Both clubs have Blue?
Are GK allowed to wear Black (at all) or when the Ref wears a black top? Like in the photo's?

We have had 3 games
Rnd 1 Ref filled out heaps of paperwork took coaches name, managers name etc asked to see officials etc 15 minutes before the game.
Rnd 2 Ref took team sheet and cards and that was it.
Rnd 3 Ref asked to see Officials and lanyards on all coaching staff filled out papework etc

I know these things dont change any outcomes or anything BUT are the rules actually taking effect or not? What have the refs done at your games?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Left Right Out wrote:I have a question - If the new rules/laws that are or have been introduced are they being followed by all referee's?

Look at the photo's that Swanny took from this game? (The clubs have done nothing wrong)

New rules state -
Teams can NOT have the same colour socks???? Both clubs have Blue?
Are GK allowed to wear Black (at all) or when the Ref wears a black top? Like in the photo's?

We have had 3 games
Rnd 1 Ref filled out heaps of paperwork took coaches name, managers name etc asked to see officials etc 15 minutes before the game.
Rnd 2 Ref took team sheet and cards and that was it.
Rnd 3 Ref asked to see Officials and lanyards on all coaching staff filled out papework etc

I know these things dont change any outcomes or anything BUT are the rules actually taking effect or not? What have the refs done at your games?
Some of the "skins" were the wrong colour too....we thought about asking the referee about the socks as we had gone out of our way to get red socks for our first home game against MSSC Blue Eagles.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Knight15 wrote:
We played them last year - we were winning 2-1 with about 15 minutes to go, they ended up winning 3-2. I made a point of congratulating the referee - he was good and fair - they were just too young and too fit - no sour grapes

if my memory serves me correct PHW had a ref that old I thought he was out of the retirement village that day ... he was fair cos no team knew what was going on ... plus the game ended 4-2 in the B's

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

bloodypassit wrote:
Knight15 wrote:

if my memory serves me correct PHW had a ref that old I thought he was out of the retirement village that day ... he was fair cos no team knew what was going on ... plus the game ended 4-2 in the B's
Link to last years fixture

2011 Round 3 - Para Hills West ( 2 ) Southern Knights ( 3 )

PeteMitchell
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by PeteMitchell »

Yes I agree the penalty was very harsh but what did your player get sent off for? Foul and abusive language. I cant think of too many other decisions that were questionable in the game.

Also blackburner I find your comment quite confusing. You say he made some bad decisions against you guys a few seasons back. the funny thing is he only refereed a couple games last year which is the first time he has ever done it for the club.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Destiny_06 wrote:Yes I agree the penalty was very harsh but what did your player get sent off for? Foul and abusive language. I cant think of too many other decisions that were questionable in the game.

Also blackburner I find your comment quite confusing. You say he made some bad decisions against you guys a few seasons back. the funny thing is he only refereed a couple games last year which is the first time he has ever done it for the club.
Exactly as I have said, undisciplined by Knights and that's what players need to learn....don't get yourself sent off and disadvantage your team even further....
The irony later in the game was that one of West's players said almost the same thing to the referee and no action resulted.
But the highlighted point is also paramount to changing the balance of the game. ( or both games as it turns out).
Football is about keeping your composure in adversity as much as anything....Knights didn't do that on the weekend and paid dearly.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Destiny_06 wrote:Yes I agree the penalty was very harsh but what did your player get sent off for? Foul and abusive language. I cant think of too many other decisions that were questionable in the game.

The penalty was so obviously not a penalty from a long way away it's very hard to consider it to be an honest mistake

You can argue quite well that foul and abusive language is a reason to send a player off, however everyone who watches or plays football at any level will tell you it happens every game, if a referee has a certain issue then he should state it prior to kick off, however firstly he was inconsistent - ie players from both teams swore at him during the game and our linesman and secondly the referee used abusive language towards one of our players- if you make it an issue as a referee you can't then use "foul and abusive" language yourself

We look forward to the return fixture

boneyard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by boneyard »

And everyone has had bad decisions givin against them. I was behind the goal when the penalty and my first thought was a penalty.
Yes a different angle to most people at the game.
And I even asked the knight keeper what he thought,his reply was
That he could see why it was given...
Now if you can't wait for the the return game nor can we.your just
Adding fuel to potentially a fiery game.good on ya.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

boneyard wrote:And everyone has had bad decisions givin against them. I was behind the goal when the penalty and my first thought was a penalty.
Will have to check with Phil about what he thought but the referee wasn't in your position behind the goal....the linesman (an experienced player and experienced Club Referee) might have been a good person for the referee to consult as in my observation, he was closest to the "incident".

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

boneyard wrote:And everyone has had bad decisions givin against them. I was behind the goal when the penalty and my first thought was a penalty.
My comments were more about the fact I believe it would have been a great game 11 v 11, we had no issue with your players, personally I can't remember one bad challenge and look forward to a great game at home, I doubt it will be firey, as despite the above the game was very clean

Last year we had a shocking referee against Brahma Lodge - home game (so our referee) we acknowldeged the fact, apologised to Brahma and changed our referee - when we played them at their ground, they took revenge by beating us, their referee was excellent and it was a great game that's what its about

boneyard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by boneyard »

I agree with you swannsong,but all have seen penalties given for
Less. While at it,anyone from florina giving reserve refs at other clubs
Is got to be having a laff.look at your own that was/is doing for a few years.

That's good to know knight15,have a good year till we meet.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Knight15 wrote:
My comments were more about the fact I believe it would have been a great game 11 v 11, we had no issue with your players, personally I can't remember one bad challenge and look forward to a great game at home, I doubt it will be firey, as despite the above the game was very clean

Last year we had a shocking referee against Brahma Lodge - home game (so our referee) we acknowldeged the fact, apologised to Brahma and changed our referee - when we played them at their ground, they took revenge by beating us, their referee was excellent and it was a great game that's what its about
I would say the 2 of the 3 we had in the b grade game was the best!!! quite a funny game that was
first ref has a massive dummy spit at his own player and walks off
second ref did a great job LRO :wink:
third ref was very good also

ontheblackburner
Squad Player
Squad Player

Okay, i've mistaken this ref for the one who did the games a few years back - apologies.

Anyway, what actually happened? Was a player sent of for bad language and a pen given?
#venkysout

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ontheblackburner wrote:Okay, i've mistaken this ref for the one who did the games a few years back - apologies.

Anyway, what actually happened? Was a player sent of for bad language and a pen given?
No, a penalty was given and a player was sent off for bad language ! :wink:

I am Costanza
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by I am Costanza »

Last year we had a shocking referee against Brahma Lodge - home game (so our referee) we acknowldeged the fact, apologised to Brahma and changed our referee - when we played them at their ground, they took revenge by beating us, their referee was excellent and it was a great game that's what its about[/quote]

ahh the re-taken penalty/goal kick :lol: one of the funnier decisions I have ever seen
BLSC - est 1971
1982 Div 4b
1989 Div 3b
2004 Div 4b
2006 Div 4a & Div 10
2009 Div 3b
2010 Div 3a & 3b
2013 Div 2b & Div 7
2014 Div 2b
2015 Div 2a, 2b, & Div 6 Sat & Sun

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

I am Costanza wrote:Last year we had a shocking referee against Brahma Lodge - home game (so our referee) we acknowldeged the fact, apologised to Brahma and changed our referee - when we played them at their ground, they took revenge by beating us, their referee was excellent and it was a great game that's what its about
ahh the re-taken penalty/goal kick :lol: one of the funnier decisions I have ever seen[/quote]

Lol, yes, I think we missed the first? But got to retake because of encroachment, then retook and scored the second but decision was goal kick due to encroachment

Quality

ontheblackburner
Squad Player
Squad Player

swannsong wrote:
ontheblackburner wrote:Okay, i've mistaken this ref for the one who did the games a few years back - apologies.

No, a penalty was given and a player was sent off for bad language ! :wink:
What was the pen for though?
#venkysout

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

Let's just say it was a 'disputed tackle' - that seemed to be fair and should potentially have been a corner

time to move on

ontheblackburner
Squad Player
Squad Player

ohhh okay lol

From the pics it looks like the keeper makes a save and then the ref calls a pen
#venkysout

Jonesy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jonesy5 »

Rumour down at westies is that snipers were training close by and may be linked to the first penalty

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Sending someone off for saying "you've got to be kidding" about a yellow card, having refereed for 4 years myself at this level from 96-99 all I can say is....
You've got to be kidding !

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

swannsong wrote:Sending someone off for saying "you've got to be kidding" about a yellow card, having refereed for 4 years myself at this level from 96-99 all I can say is....
Is it classified as dissent under the laws of the game?

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Left Right Out »

BIGGEST LAW THAT ANY REFEREE'S SHOULD FOLLOW IS

COMMON SENSE!!!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

BlackBrian_7 wrote:
swannsong wrote:Sending someone off for saying "you've got to be kidding" about a yellow card, having refereed for 4 years myself at this level from 96-99 all I can say is....
Is it classified as dissent under the laws of the game?
Key word....interpretation !!!
It's mens football...not womens netball