New shin pad rule

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: New shin pad rule

Post by God is an Englishman »

Los Blanco14 wrote:this is an absolute joke. Petros (who coaches the refs) went around and took photos of players shin pads yesterday at b27

good job macedonia weren"t playing, they would have sued for taking photos of them.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Caretaker Coach wrote:so they have confused people with the offside rule, slide tackle rule, handball rule, and now, they want to add the shin pad rule to that as well ?
Who is confused by these? If you are then you shouldn't be playing the game.

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

Spoke to Petros, he took the photo for his next caoching presentation . I saw the photo and the player had his siocks down, and shin pads and socks only covouredabout 6 to 10 centremeters abouve ankle.
He is not using the photo to report the player or referee, but wanted to have some examples for his power point presentation. He also told me that it is up to the discresion of the referee if the player can play or not. It is only a guid as to what is reasonable degree of protection.

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

Petros is a clown. First he had no right to walk into a teams huddle and take photo's second he also told another player that they wouldn't let him play when his shin pads were clearly covering the main part of his shin bone
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

Talk about taking things too far... How about worrying about correct foul identification and keeping up with play and other more important things before trying to cause absolute mayhem with such pedantic Barossa Pearl!!!

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Caretaker Coach wrote:so they have confused people with the offside rule, slide tackle rule, handball rule, and now, they want to add the shin pad rule to that as well ?
I would say that just about every game you go to there are people who dispute all of the above, do they not ?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The General wrote:
I would say that just about every game you go to there are people who dispute all of the above, do they not ?

I fully understand the handball law, yet I was booked for dissent on saturday for questioning the decision. I was not confused by the law, the ref got it wrong.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

I fully understand the handball law, yet I was booked for dissent on saturday for questioning the decision. I was not confused by the law, the ref got it wrong.
Noooooooo, You?..... :lol: :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Franco# wrote:

I only got 2 bookings all of last year I'll have you know.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Franco# wrote:

I only got 2 bookings all of last year I'll have you know.
:lol: ok.

the REAL one
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by the REAL one »

penalty wrote:Spoke to Petros, he took the photo for his next caoching presentation . I saw the photo and the player had his siocks down, and shin pads and socks only covouredabout 6 to 10 centremeters abouve ankle.
He is not using the photo to report the player or referee, but wanted to have some examples for his power point presentation. He also told me that it is up to the discresion of the referee if the player can play or not. It is only a guid as to what is reasonable degree of protection.
from what i hear (and i stress it was hearsay) it is an insurance issue (which type not sure??? league or personal?)... players will not be covered if they were to break a leg and the shin pad was not of correct size (and yes we all know and have witnessed... when a leg has been broken, irrespective of the size of the shin pad it would not have made a difference).
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the REAL one... again and again"

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

the REAL one wrote:
penalty wrote:Spoke to Petros, he took the photo for his next caoching presentation . I saw the photo and the player had his siocks down, and shin pads and socks only covouredabout 6 to 10 centremeters abouve ankle.
from what i hear (and i stress it was hearsay) it is an insurance issue (which type not sure??? league or personal?)... players will not be covered if they were to break a leg and the shin pad was not of correct size (and yes we all know and have witnessed... when a leg has been broken, irrespective of the size of the shin pad it would not have made a difference).
If that was really the case it would be a directive for the league not the refs... This is simply a case of referees placing importance on the unimportant whilst missing the real issues facing refereeing...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

the REAL one wrote:from what i hear (and i stress it was hearsay) it is an insurance issue (which type not sure??? league or personal?)... players will not be covered if they were to break a leg and the shin pad was not of correct size (and yes we all know and have witnessed... when a leg has been broken, irrespective of the size of the shin pad it would not have made a difference).

as stated in another thread - saasl self insure.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

Can we just get on with it?
Agia Lavra 1821!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

rooboy1986 wrote:If that was really the case it would be a directive for the league not the refs... This is simply a case of referees placing importance on the unimportant whilst missing the real issues facing refereeing...

I disagree with that. Refs do not choose what laws they are going to poliuce and what they aren't. The laws state that shin pads must have adequate protection, they state that undershorts must be the same colour. These are simple things that are pretty hard to get wrong. Wrong decisions will be made on the pitch (just like players make many wrong decisions in a game), but you start by controlling what you can control then do your best to control what you can't.

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

rooboy1986 wrote:If that was really the case it would be a directive for the league not the refs... This is simply a case of referees placing importance on the unimportant whilst missing the real issues facing refereeing...

I disagree with that. Refs do not choose what laws they are going to poliuce and what they aren't. The laws state that shin pads must have adequate protection, they state that undershorts must be the same colour. These are simple things that are pretty hard to get wrong. Wrong decisions will be made on the pitch (just like players make many wrong decisions in a game), but you start by controlling what you can control then do your best to control what you can't.
I see refs choosing to enforce laws that are black and white such as undershorts and being pedantic to show self importance Pre game to really cover up their own inadequecies when it comes to the really important stuff.. E.g fitness, foul identification, positioning, player management, thorough knowledge of lotg etc.. I say concentrate more on these things and don't sweat the small stuff...

I know it is important to have shin pads that provide adequate protection but is this really something to enforce to the point of putting players offside even before kick off... Player safety is important but as long as they have shin pads why cause more issues for your self... And to actually get to the point of not allowing a player to play because of undersized shin pads is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard... Play the odds... Shins don't get broken that often... And when they do no one blames the shin pads or lack thereof... Players don't get confused with other players wearing different colour undershorts...

If I was in charge of the referees I would ensure we get the big ticket items right first and then from a position of strength and support of the league I would get tougher on the small stuff...

Good luck...

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

When I was a kid, and the referee made us line up to check the studs on the boots, I never thought it was pedantic, or put me offside if I was made to change boots etc....

There are rules to be followed, and you just get on with it. If you wanna break the rules, and get caught, that's your problem.

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

Bacon888 wrote:When I was a kid, and the referee made us line up to check the studs on the boots, I never thought it was pedantic, or put me offside if I was made to change boots etc....

There are rules to be followed, and you just get on with it. If you wanna break the rules, and get caught, that's your problem.
Did he check your shin pads quality, size, type, coverage etc?

Pedantic... Yes it is...

And if you are 10 you will do whatever he says... If you are an adult you will see it as just plain stupid...

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The ref when i was 10 never checked shin pads, mainly because you dind't have to wear shin pads when I was 10.

At first we thought it was pedantic to make people wear shin pads but we got used to it, as people will with this one.

I remember my dad thinking being made to wear a seat belt was pendantic, he probably felt the same about a crash helmet.

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

Yeah ... shiraz pioneers in the saasra...

Learn to ref first is all I am saying...

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

rooboy1986 wrote:Yeah ... shiraz pioneers in the saasra...

Ante up and buy a whistle, that will fix em...

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

Franco# wrote:

Yeah... I probably will... I'd first need assurance that I am not going to be marked down heavily for not getting players to tuck their shirts in or wearing plastic wristbands etc. and be marked up for all the other more important ticket items like positioning, fitness, LOTG, foul identification etc...

I believe quite strongly that the way in which they are going about things is just plain wrong... Making more trouble for themselves... In particular this fabricated shin pad rule... Never ever heard such rubbish in my life...

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

rooboy1986 wrote:
Franco# wrote:

Yeah... I probably will... I'd first need assurance that I am not going to be marked down heavily for not getting players to tuck their shirts in or wearing plastic wristbands etc. and be marked up for all the other more important ticket items like positioning, fitness, LOTG, foul identification etc...

I believe quite strongly that the way in which they are going about things is just plain wrong... Making more trouble for themselves... In particular this fabricated shin pad rule... Never ever heard such rubbish in my life...
I don't see it as a rubbish rule, players that say they are to uncomfortable is more mental than actual.

I have worn both small and large and don't notice the difference, I know which one that will protect me better.

Like society some people need protecting from themselves.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

rooboy1986 wrote:
Franco# wrote:

If you just want to turn up and referee then why care about being marked down. That should only matter if you want to progress through the ranks.

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

just think rooboy you could progress to.....................???????
things happen for a reason

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

robinfriday10 wrote:just think rooboy you could progress to.....................???????

There's always FIFA!!!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

rooboy1986 wrote:
robinfriday10 wrote:just think rooboy you could progress to.....................???????

There's always FIFA!!!

not through saasra there isn't!

berbatov
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by berbatov »

i think i'll struggle to find suitable shin pads. the area between my ankle and knee is at least 40cm long! if this is enforced i'll have to make my own probably!

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

http://saasra.wikispaces.com/file/view/ ... 2-1012.pdf

Even their example doesn't qualify.. There's at least 7cm from this guy's shinpad to his knee.

blackout
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by blackout »

Bacon888 wrote:http://saasra.wikispaces.com/file/view/ ... 2-1012.pdf

Even their example doesn't qualify.. There's at least 7cm from this guy's shinpad to his knee.
+1. Not a well thought out explanation of what is acceptable.