Selection night

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Selection night

Post by jogger »

Well, it's just about here... pre-season is over and selection night begins tonight/tomorrow night!!

let's see how many of the downs 29 man squad remain by round 4, how many from the gardens 50 man squad will remain after round 2...?? :wink:

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: Selection night

Post by OldRedback »

jogger wrote:Well, it's just about here... pre-season is over and selection night begins tonight/tomorrow night!!

let's see how many of the downs 29 man squad remain by round 4, how many from the gardens 50 man squad will remain after round 2...?? :wink:
Yes it is sure to be a couple of nights of serious head scratching and thinking with a few happy and many disappointed I would reckon.

Left Right Out
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Left Right Out »

jogger wrote:Well, it's just about here... pre-season is over and selection night begins tonight/tomorrow night!!

But its also the reason both those clubs will be fighting out to be League Champions this year, its called depth and I bet every club wishes they had it!

But I agree in the next week or so it will be interesting to see how clubs manage this luxury!

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

most players play at clubs because they like being there...if they miss out on first team selection they just work hard to prove the coach wrong...very few would walk away because of it and if they did were they really worth having in the first place?

Vale_boy05
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Vale_boy05 »

lisbon lion wrote:most players play at clubs because they like being there...if they miss out on first team selection they just work hard to prove the coach wrong...very few would walk away because of it and if they did were they really worth having in the first place?
Some clubs and players have this culture,

But with amateurs now recieving large payment (cos we all know freddy played for the love of the club :wink: ) i think it may die out in a few clubs IMO

Paipss Cisse
he scores when he wants.

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

Vale_boy05 wrote:
lisbon lion wrote:most players play at clubs because they like being there...if they miss out on first team selection they just work hard to prove the coach wrong...very few would walk away because of it and if they did were they really worth having in the first place?

But with amateurs now recieving large payment (cos we all know freddy played for the love of the club :wink: ) i think it may die out in a few clubs IMO
there has always been money around in div1 clubs relative to that era but its not why you play its just a nice bonus

jogger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jogger »

lisbon lion wrote:
Vale_boy05 wrote:

there has always been money around in div1 clubs relative to that era but its not why you play its just a nice bonus
yeah right... is that why florina have lost all their stars? we all know it happens at the majority of clubs these days... you will always have a core group that will stay no matter what, but the top blokes generally are open to some coin to influence where they play.

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

that depends how you define top blokes...there will always be a few mercaneries arond but they are by far the minority and dont last long.....your strong traditional clubs are just that because of the comraderie and atmosphere....especially in the north

BeogradGeneralsC's
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BeogradGeneralsC's »

I woudl be interested in hearing from those who are trying to get a Div I spot in the As and miss out. I am sure if they are good enough to play As but not in Div I, they would be sure to get a run in another club and atleast play week in week out.

I know that there is distance, love of club etc etc. I dont dispute this, but lets get down to the bare bones facts in that we play amateurs to play on Sunday and have a good competitive run.

Why miss out on playing As if ther are other clubs who are in div II (or III) who have As who would welcome new talent.

Knight7
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Knight7 »

BeogradGeneralsC's wrote:I woudl be interested in hearing from those who are trying to get a Div I spot in the As and miss out. I am sure if they are good enough to play As but not in Div I, they would be sure to get a run in another club and atleast play week in week out.

I know that there is distance, love of club etc etc. I dont dispute this, but lets get down to the bare bones facts in that we play amateurs to play on Sunday and have a good competitive run.

Why miss out on playing As if ther are other clubs who are in div II (or III) who have As who would welcome new talent.

You still looking for a good goalkeeper :wink:
Russia 2018 wrote

dont know what that idiot knight is talking about though

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

Knight7 wrote:
BeogradGeneralsC's wrote:I woudl be interested in hearing from those who are trying to get a Div I spot in the As and miss out. I am sure if they are good enough to play As but not in Div I, they would be sure to get a run in another club and atleast play week in week out.

You still looking for a good goalkeeper :wink:
I know an ordinary one who isn't playing this year!

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

you may have to change your head gear big fella

Smashed on Vino
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Smashed on Vino »

Left Right Out wrote:

But its also the reason both those clubs will be fighting out to be League Champions this year, its called depth and I bet every club wishes they had it!

But I agree in the next week or so it will be interesting to see how clubs manage this luxury!
Well said LRO.
Jogger....I think most clubs down to div 3 will be having these types of issues, no point singling out the Downs and Gardens just because people from other clubs post rumours on who both these teams have signed.
I'm sure it's not just these 2 clubs who have recruited.....
If at first you don't succeed, Pull your foreskin over your heed

Azza
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Azza »

Are players getting paid win-loss or draw these days? It used to just be for a win

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

I will have what ever he is smoking :roll:
HA'WAY THE LADS

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:
old school values my friend

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

lisbon lion wrote:
Outlaw 2.0 wrote:
old school values my friend
First time I have heard it put like that, Good for you though man :D
HA'WAY THE LADS

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Sometimes you have to hang around and fight for your spot....I remember I played nearly every game (missed 2 games) in in Downs League Wnning /promotion sides in 1977, 1981, 1984, 1991, 1992.....was overlooked as first team choice in 1979, 1982 and 1993 when Downs were relegated (usually by ex Fed keepers drawn to the club because Downs had been promoted....).
Believe me, it wasn't for the money :(
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

lisbon lion
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by lisbon lion »

swannsong wrote:
Sometimes you have to hang around and fight for your spot....I remember I played nearly every game (missed 2 games) in in Downs League Wnning /promotion sides in 1977, 1981, 1984, 1991, 1992.....was overlooked as first team choice in 1979, 1982 and 1993 when Downs were relegated (usually by ex Fed keepers drawn to the club because Downs had been promoted....).
thanks for the memories swanny...just another time i was proved wrong

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

lisbon lion wrote:
swannsong wrote:
thanks for the memories swanny...just another time i was proved wrong
:D
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook