Saturday Amateur Select v Collegiate League Select

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

messidona
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Saturday Amateur Select v Collegiate League Select

Post by messidona »

When and where is the game being played?
"I'm not injury prone"- Michael Owen

messidona
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by messidona »

messidona wrote:When and where is the game being played?
My bad..just saw the first post.
"I'm not injury prone"- Michael Owen

Certified Head Case
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Certified Head Case »

diegom wrote:maybe they can choose 2 teams, 1st half and 2nd half???
What a stupid fucking idea.
Digger wrote:No sane person would want to know you.

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Certified Nut Case wrote:
The entire concept is a stupid fucking idea.

Ace16
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Ace16 »

Rob Lozza wrote:
My take is that the FFSA have asked for this game so that if the Collegiate team wins the FFSA can claim their competition is stronger and suggest the SAASL move to the FFSA metro league. When the Amateur team win the FFSA haven't really lost anything have they?

Another thought on how the SAASL can deal with their cash. Look at each team in the SAASL comp and add up how many years each team has been in the competition. You then add the total years of all the teams and distribute the funds back to each club in the proportions that they have spent building the SAASL. That way if the Downs have been in the comp for 40 years and Stirling have been in the comp 20 years the Downs will get twice as much money back. If another team has been in the comp for 1 year they will receive very little. IE. 40+20+1 = 61. Downs get 40/61ths Stirling get 20/61ths and the other team gets 1/61th.

Each club can then use these funds to improve their grounds / clubrooms / changerooms and simply transport the entire SAASL in it's current format under the FFSA. The clubs that benefit out of this are those who were committed to the SAASL for the long run and FFSA does not receive any cash benefit.
Hi Ace 14

Thunderstruck
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Thunderstruck »

Surely Scotty Mates (GK) from Sturt is in there? Maybe big Daniel Butler should get a run too... just suggestions on possible picks

jj1979
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by jj1979 »

Thunderstruck wrote:Surely Scotty Mates (GK) from Sturt is in there? Maybe big Daniel Butler should get a run too... just suggestions on possible picks
Think you will find out they will have a squad of around 30-35 players mate so i would be tipping those 2 players u have mentioned would definatly be in from your club plus a couple of others.Good luck to them picking this side.Some quality players will miss out.

Thunderstruck
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Thunderstruck »

jj1979 wrote:
Thunderstruck wrote:Surely Scotty Mates (GK) from Sturt is in there? Maybe big Daniel Butler should get a run too... just suggestions on possible picks
Think you will find out they will have a squad of around 30-35 players mate so i would be tipping those 2 players u have mentioned would definatly be in from your club plus a couple of others.Good luck to them picking this side.Some quality players will miss out.
Yeah it's a tough one. Obviously interested to see what Buckley does! Might get in his ear tomorrow after the game and find out what he's thinking! :)

Galey
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Galey »

jj1979 wrote:
I heard that they have invited about 40 players along with at least 3 keepers, which seems excessive for one game, but they're thinking not everyone asked will be available or interested.

To Mati
Star Player
Star Player

Post by To Mati »

Rob Lozza wrote:

A Mature League
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by A Mature League »

I don't think they should stack the squad with ex-feds that have had good shot at fame and representative opportunities.
Get some good younger players in there.
Galey,Scalzi, Karapetis, Brazzale are and have been good players but make this an opportunity for the younger brigade.
Image Image
" I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." - Tom Waits

To Mati
Star Player
Star Player

Post by To Mati »

If they were young and they were fit, they would most likely (and should be) playing feds if they were good enough.

A Mature League
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by A Mature League »

SKIPPY wrote:If they were young and they were fit, they would most likely (and should be) playing feds if they were good enough.
Ain't always the case SKIP.
Image Image
" I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." - Tom Waits

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

A Mature League wrote:
SKIPPY wrote:If they were young and they were fit, they would most likely (and should be) playing feds if they were good enough.
Ain't always the case SKIP.
SKIP should know that first hand.

To Mati
Star Player
Star Player

Post by To Mati »

Would you care to elaborate Petsa #2?

Oh by the way its Skippy to you, not Skip!

Cunning Stunt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Cunning Stunt »

The Three Petsas performing at a venue near you.
Does Kevin Rudd refer to his genitals as the stimulus package?

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

From the SAASL web site:
Saturday Amateur Select vs Collegiate League Select

As part of the celebrations to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the Saturday Amateur Competition, the South Australian Amateur Soccer League will be naming a Saturday Amateur Select squad for 2009.

In addition, the SAASL, in conjunction with the Collegiate Soccer League, are proud to announce the inaugural representative game between the two competitions to be held on Wednesday 30th September 2009, at Adelaide City’s Oakden Complex, kicking off at 7.00pm.

An initial squad of players selected from the Saturday Premier Division will commence training at the Adelaide University Grads Oval, from Thursday 10th September and will be jointly coached by Dave Baker, St. Peters Old Collegiate Soccer Club, and Peter Buckley, Sturt Marion “Thunder” Soccer Club, supported by Kevin Holohan, Adelaide University Soccer Club as Team Physio/Trainer, and George Fotopoulos, representative of the Management Committee, as Team Manager.

The Clubs and the selected players have been notified and are required to contact the coaches to confirm their attendance (Dave Baker -0417 870 463 or Peter Buckley -0438 434 074).

Full catering will be available and Entry to the game will be free. We encourage your attendance to what we believe will become a regular fixture between two like minded associations with a progressive and cooperative attitude.

waawaa
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by waawaa »

progressive
:lol:

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

If they were progressive they would merge and add 17 more clubs to the Saturday divisions, including some that would push the top teams in Division 1.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

REDS
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by REDS »

interesting a SAASL linked assoc is going to play a FFSA linked assoc here - I wonder what this all means behind the scenes?

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

Rob Lozza wrote:Torrens Valley's goalkeeper should get an invite. He is outstanding. (This is a serious post.)
he gets in conceeding 79 goals lol

he is a quality keeper, too bad the defence in that team has more holes then a tea bag
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

So is a full squad available?

Right Back
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Right Back »

Chelsea4thewin wrote:
Rob Lozza wrote:Torrens Valley's goalkeeper should get an invite. He is outstanding. (This is a serious post.)
he gets in conceeding 79 goals lol

he is a quality keeper, too bad the defence in that team has more holes then a tea bag
I second that, I know of at least 3 teams in div 4 that have tried to recruit him and failed.

Let me say this, if he wasnt there Torrens Valley would have conceeded probably 120+ goals this season and at at the same time if they had a half decent defence nobody would score against them.....

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

lol we are div 3 next season, might try recruit him
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

hatzipp
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by hatzipp »

East Boy wrote:So will anyone like to name a few names who might be in the squad???
I have only seen a few teams this year who played saints. Possible names to throw in the mix:
excuse the spelling of a few names

Gale - saints
Oliver - saints
Paines - saints
Saggs- saints
baker - saints

Tasovac - Wanderers
more from wanderers but dont know the names

Musci?? - striker from villa
Scalzi - Villa
Karapets - Villa

Paterson - BOSA

Hutchinson - Mod Jets

The 2 central defenders from Stirling werent to bad either

Like i said i only really watch saints games and dont know too many names......
Paco form BOSA - he's moved up to second on the bench for the C's team and definitely gets a guernsey for most imporved this year!

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

i'm in favour of the concept for a few reasons and for once it looks like the players selected have been on merit (ie.form) rather than name (which is what has happened in the past with previous selected sides), without knowing too mcuh about the collegiate league i would still expect the Sat Amateur select side to win comfortably.

I think it will improve the relationships between the players of sides in the league as at the moment there is too much trash talk and hopefully by training and playing together this will be minimised as it it a problem in the current league, after all at the end of the day it is a game.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Kitchimo wrote:If they were progressive they would merge and add 17 more clubs to the Saturday divisions, including some that would push the top teams in Division 1.
Anybody think of ways how this could work?
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

EDISON CAVANI
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by EDISON CAVANI »

so whats the squad so far??

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

[quote="
Paco form BOSA - he's moved up to second on the bench for the C's team and definitely gets a guernsey for most imporved this year![/quote]

How about working the BBQ along with Costa and Ang ? :mrgreen:

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

Kitchimo wrote:
Kitchimo wrote:If they were progressive they would merge and add 17 more clubs to the Saturday divisions, including some that would push the top teams in Division 1.
Anybody think of ways how this could work?
Yep - here's a quick thought to provoke discussion. Form two "Premier" divisions of equal status - equal mix of current SAASL and CSL clubs (drawn by ballot). At end of season, the top five teams from each division form the Premier Division for the following season and the rest form the new Division 2, and also no promotions and relegations to/from the Premier Division either that season. This would mean of course that the current Division 2 would have to drop to Division 3 so more than a few tears and whinges here. And the chance of this happening? Almost zero.

Of course, if everyone is genuinely interested in working in a progressive and co-operative manner then the inevitable screams will be quickly forgotten. I believe it is ridiculous that there are tow non-professional football competitions in the Adelaide metroplitan and surrounding areas. SAASL was ready to join the FFSA and then manage the new Amateur Division however all this fell to crud over a matter of ~$40K.