Veneto Club Alcohol Ban

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Veneto Club Alcohol Ban

Post by marooned »

The Veneto Club have let it be known that No spectators will be allowed into the ground with their own alcohol and will be performing car search's and confiscating any found. Downs v Wanderers I predict will be the lowest attendance of all cup games this weekend. Their call, their huge loss. Nothing to do with Wanderers its the greedy landlord. Downs folk are a canny lot and will more than likely find a loophole as they did v Villa a few years ago when they stood out side the fenceline and spent no money within the club grounds. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. In saying that to employ security to do search's will cost them a lot more than a couple of cartons over 90 minutes. :roll:
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

finderskeeper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Veneto Club Alcohol Ban

Post by finderskeeper »

marooned wrote:The Veneto Club have let it be known that No spectators will be allowed into the ground with their own alcohol and will be performing car search's and confiscating any found. Downs v Wanderers I predict will be the lowest attendance of all cup games this weekend. Their call, their huge loss. Nothing to do with Wanderers its the greedy landlord. Downs folk are a canny lot and will more than likely find a loophole as they did v Villa a few years ago when they stood out side the fenceline and spent no money within the club grounds. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. In saying that to employ security to do search's will cost them a lot more than a couple of cartons over 90 minutes. :roll:
Not normally my practice to take my own drinks, I might just do it to spite the owners !

Pooraka Salt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Salt »

It could be their liquor licence on the line.
Once bitten, no more blow jobs.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Why would the Downs boys bring their own stuff anyway?
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Pooraka Salt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Salt »

Kitchimo wrote:Why would the Downs boys bring their own stuff anyway?
It's well known they do.

Pooraka Salt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Salt »

marooned wrote:its the greedy landlord.
Hardly. They're a business in food/beverage industry. You can't blame them. :?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Pooraka Salt wrote:
It's well known they do.
By whom.
A big generalization me thinks.
In 20 years playing seniors at the Downs I never took my own alcohol to any away games.
Some loyal supporters do, but they take them to Downs home games as well.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

finderskeeper wrote:
marooned wrote:The Veneto Club have let it be known that No spectators will be allowed into the ground with their own alcohol and will be performing car search's and confiscating any found. Downs v Wanderers I predict will be the lowest attendance of all cup games this weekend. Their call, their huge loss. Nothing to do with Wanderers its the greedy landlord. Downs folk are a canny lot and will more than likely find a loophole as they did v Villa a few years ago when they stood out side the fenceline and spent no money within the club grounds. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. In saying that to employ security to do search's will cost them a lot more than a couple of cartons over 90 minutes. :roll:
Not normally my practice to take my own drinks, I might just do it to spite the owners !
Completely understand that.

What right do they have to cars when turning up to play a football match? I'd be telling them to get shiraz.

Pooraka Salt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Salt »

So you wouldn't object to people bringing their own to your club?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pooraka Salt wrote:So you wouldn't object to people bringing their own to your club?
Of course I would, but we don't search people's cars. Quite rightly, we'd be told to get shiraz.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I think they should strip search all players to ensure they're not taking anything in as well. That way there'll be a punch up in the car park and Wanderers get a forfeit because none of the Downs players are allowed in.

Pooraka Salt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Salt »

God is an Englishman wrote:we don't search people's cars. Quite rightly, we'd be told to get shiraz.
That's a fair call. Then again your carpark is out on the street and theirs is on private property. Checking anything that goes in the gate is no different to Weslo doing their searches at the entrance to Hindmarsh stadium.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Pooraka Salt wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:we don't search people's cars. Quite rightly, we'd be told to get shiraz.
That's a fair call. Then again your carpark is out on the street and theirs is on private property. Checking anything that goes in the gate is no different to Weslo doing their searches at the entrance to Hindmarsh stadium.
Plenty of pubs have their own car parks and they don't search.

What's going to happen if a player refuses to let them search their cars? Is he banned from entering the venue and playing. I'm sure SAASL would have something to say about that.

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

Given the weather conditions and the distance to travel i would think the Veneto club could overlook half a dozen eskies, rather than waste time and energy searching cars. Some of our own bring their eskies to our games but its for an economic reason and they still buy food and add to the atmosphere. When times are better they buy from the club. Just adds a sour taste when 200 supporters spend their cash at your club and you turn away and agrivate the dozen or so that dont. Makes for a bad atmosphere. Away clubs would only spend about 10% of the money we generate from alcohol, but about 30% of the food we serve. Downs at away games would generate 50% of alcohol sales and 50% of food sales. Do the math. As I said before this is not anything to do with Wanderers, its their landlord.
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

hatzipp
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by hatzipp »

..... sorry to all I offend here but I'm a big advocate of spending money at other clubs to help them survive.

Not all clubs have big sponsors. Most clubs, like mine, rely on the BBQ each home game to get us by. I, and many others, make it a point to buy at each club's BBQ.

And most of our opponents do the right thing. But there are some that bring their own - and unfortunately - those that bring their own generally (not all) take their passion too far, and then leave a mess for others to clean.

If we didnt have other clubs, then we couldnt enjoy the game.

hatzipp
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by hatzipp »

marooned wrote:Given the weather conditions and the distance to travel i would think the Veneto club could overlook half a dozen eskies, rather than waste time and energy searching cars. Some of our own bring their eskies to our games but its for an economic reason and they still buy food and add to the atmosphere. When times are better they buy from the club. Just adds a sour taste when 200 supporters spend their cash at your club and you turn away and agrivate the dozen or so that dont. Makes for a bad atmosphere. Away clubs would only spend about 10% of the money we generate from alcohol, but about 30% of the food we serve. Downs at away games would generate 50% of alcohol sales and 50% of food sales. Do the math. As I said before this is not anything to do with Wanderers, its their landlord.

........ maybe its a certain rang-er at Wanderers that drinks all their piss and runs a muck!

You know who you are!!!

Talk Is Cheap
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Talk Is Cheap »

If you want to make some money, let them bring their drinks, just don't allow them to take away their empties...10c a can/bottle !
PS - Can I take my own coffee thermos ?
Steven C Gull

Pooraka Salt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Salt »

Talk Is Cheap wrote:Can I take my own coffee thermos ?
Would it contravene liquor laws?

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

maybe the are worried about the away supporters becoming violent

i mean they could of read this .... and feared the worse.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

of course its always a minority and we've been told many times that the downs are the best club /best supporters/best changerooms/bets toilets etc in the league :lol:

Pooraka Salt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Pooraka Salt »

At the end of the day you wouldn't take take-away to a restaurant and eat it there.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Wanderers had nothing to do with it, who told you that someone from Wanderers :lol:

After having played at the Veneto Club I think this is 1-0 to Wanderers as a this is going to minimise the amount of Downs supporters and secondly the effect will be that the Downs players won't be too happy about it.

IMO this is all part and parcel of the mind games and 'stretching' of the rules that Wanderers employ.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Pooraka Salt wrote:At the end of the day you wouldn't take take-away to a restaurant and eat it there.
Well it's the middle of the day and they are going to watch "free" amateur football.
You wouldn't go for a picnic a necessarily expect a restaurant to cater for you.
It's not about money, alcohol, coffee, food etc. it's about the principle of free choice.
Most of the bigger clubs are fine with it and it is part of the reason they are bigger....imo.

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

yawns..

if that's what the veneto club wants respect it get over it. attend, don't attend, spend money over their bar and food or don't. but end of the day they don't want external alchohol brought in sure downs supporters can live one game with out doing it..there's always next sunday again to get back to routine..
LIVERPOOL FC *****

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

Pooraka Salt wrote:It could be their liquor licence on the line.
Far too sensible, but most probably true.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant :P
Occasionally available in blue

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

alm01 wrote:yawns..

if that's what the veneto club wants respect it get over it. attend, don't attend, spend money over their bar and food or don't. but end of the day they don't want external alchohol brought in sure downs supporters can live one game with out doing it..there's always next sunday again to get back to routine..
Will attend.

At least the security guards will make money from the game :D

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

exactly... :P
end of day downs comes to our club and bought over bar and plenty of yiros and chevaps etc and the same on the return leg will happen..if that's the way veneto want to play it let em..
LIVERPOOL FC *****

beancounter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by beancounter »

Clubs with supporter numbers like the Downs easily compensate for any loss of income from the bring your own brigade
We pretty much sell out of food and bourbon when they come to our place !

Los Del Eague
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Los Del Eague »

My biggest concern is this qoute from the aforementioned newspaper article
"It's crazy . . . It's just a game of soccer," Mr Duncan said.
Bill, its FOOTBALL :lol:
The young boys said unto him....."go up baldhead, go up"......so he did, rose like a salmon and nodded the ball into the net......1 nil! :-)

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

why wouldnt they? nothing wrong with bringing a few drinks to a game of football, i take my own drinks every week, home or away, if i didnt it would be a $150 day, instead of just $60.
away supporters have no obligation to buy from other clubs.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

dj_no.1 wrote:
why wouldnt they? nothing wrong with bringing a few drinks to a game of football, i take my own drinks every week, home or away, if i didnt it would be a $150 day, instead of just $60.
away supporters have no obligation to buy from other clubs.
it's an unspoken rule, you support each other, because without each other, there would be no league.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002