Quarter Final of the CUP

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Who Will win the cup

Poll ended at Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:02 pm

Ingle Farm
6%
BOSA
7%
Elizabeth Vale
13%
St Peters
11%
TTG
6%
Elizabeth Downs
31%
Pontian
17%
Stirling
2%
Parafield
7%

Total votes: 54

viduka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by viduka »

Dont think that the $$$ are a big deal for the Pontians. They have a great club and are very good in terms of financial backing and crowd support.

GOLDEN EAGLE what is the central defence like? Who is currently back there? Is Ricky and Bill playing at the back?

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

The big difference is training and fitness. I dont know about other teams but with us we have rarely had a full squad out at once at training and most players only train once a week. I think that for us to be at Div 1 level you need players that will commit to training twice a week. whether that means paying them or not, not to sure but I know that if I was getting paid I need to be at training and be performing. I suppose some players dont want that pressure and thats why they play div 3 or lower. There is always a reason why someone plays in the division they are at. We have some fantastic players at our club this year and for one reason or another they are not playing federation level fitness, age, disapline.

As for our defense it has mainly been Pantelis, Demo, Cavualo, Kosimidis and Petropoulos. We have had a good run with injuries and we have a lot of experience unfortunatly against Downs we missed our right side and although the players that played their on sunday did a good job they play a different style to the ones that have played there for most part of the season.

Do you know Billy and Rick Viduka?

viduka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by viduka »

yeah used to play in Billy's team in state league a couple of years back and I know Ricks brother.
What are the crowds like down at the Pontians home games? I want to play infront of a crowd for once and possibly contemplating a move for next season depending on if certain circumstances evolve.

KANARIS
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KANARIS »

GG if Steve learns to pass the Pontians will be a better side.

viduka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by viduka »

Dont cha mean GE as in G.E. Money Genie. :lol:

KANARIS
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KANARIS »

yes em vid. sorry

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

Our growds are pretty good. I think we had good support on sunday although they wernt loud enough. Normally we get about 150 people on a Sunday. Should get a decent crowd this week against Imbros.

So I take it that you played at Cobras Viduka. Yeah next year a few things in the pipeline and with promotion to div2 the club wants to go for promotion again and get there with florina for the big derbies.

As for steve, Kanaris, he usually gets around defenders he did jag the hammy early on in the game on sunday but all in all he has had a great season and really cant be bagged for not passing even if it may be on once or twice. if he wasnt beating his man or scoring then you might have a case but i think he has been good all year.

viduka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by viduka »

Sounds like a very good turn out. That just might persuade me to make the switch.

KANARIS
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KANARIS »

GE -no argument re Steves good season but can be better if he was a team player. As you get promoted it will become more evident.

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

I suppose we will wait and see

Knight7
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Knight7 »

Frappe wrote:Looks to me desouza is having lots of psychological fun!
Lol sure like I didn't work it out about 2 weeks ago!!!!

He must have been bored

Jairzinho
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jairzinho »

Knight7 wrote:
Frappe wrote:Looks to me desouza is having lots of psychological fun!
Lol sure like I didn't work it out about 2 weeks ago!!!!

He must have been bored
took you 2 weeks but we knew all year that you are a whinging sherry :wink:

the FAKE one
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the FAKE one »

Golden EAGLE wrote:Our growds are pretty good. I think we had good support on sunday although they wernt loud enough. Normally we get about 150 people on a Sunday. Should get a decent crowd this week against Imbros.
Do you get chicks to the games?
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the FAKE one... again and again"

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

Only if Chriso is playing

KANARIS
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KANARIS »

good one

the REAL one
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by the REAL one »

heard alot of new faces to make the journey down to pontians next year
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the REAL one... again and again"

colon clenser
Apprentice
Apprentice

colon clenser

Post by colon clenser »

as a neatrul :? obserever on sunday ,,i was really disapointed in the skill level of the downs,,,for the top team in div 1 i really couldnt remember them putting more than 3 passes together in the whole game ,,,they say the only diff between div 1-3 is the fitness level ,,, man that is so true now,,,i think pontinas pushed the ball well but where very top heavy,,,steve should of been subbed after doing his hammy ,,,the ground was shocking more sand than grass ,,

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

I think the condition of the pitch does not allow more than three passes to be put together. Pontians are a very good side and would give most div 1 teams a shake. They will win Div 2 next year without a doubt. Good supporters too, many of them came in for a drink after the game.
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

colon clenser
Apprentice
Apprentice

colon clenser

Post by colon clenser »

yeah ,,but the pontians put more than 5-10 passes together many times

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

while it comes to the pressure part of the season for elizabeth downs they are gonna have a few hickups as anyone or team does under pressure .. eg holding on to div 1 title after leading all year and cup games quarter finals onwards are always tight and usually unnattractive games...i'm sure downs will hold out to win the title and may win the double without their top goalscorer ross taylor..don't read to much into their form of late first half of the season not many could match them...
by the way i heard the council sprayed their pitch for clover and some other chemicals where not cleaned out killing off the pitch..
LIVERPOOL FC *****

chemical brother
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by chemical brother »

:twisted: WHAT CHEMICALS :twisted:
Lifestyles thru Chemistry

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

PC chemicals :D
LIVERPOOL FC *****

chemical brother
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by chemical brother »

alm01 wrote:PC chemicals :D
cheers alm01
now who are you
Lifestyles thru Chemistry

bert
Apprentice
Apprentice

quarter finals of the cup

Post by bert »

PC worry about your football and not so about the chemicals bro. As for the clenser what game was he watching the better team on the day won, who cares for keepy off.
played4ever

Uncle Cracker
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: quarter finals of the cup

Post by Uncle Cracker »

bert wrote:PC worry about your football and not so about the chemicals bro. As for the clenser what game was he watching the better team on the day won, who cares for keepy off.
Have to agree bert, cant judge sundays game as the level of standard
in Div1, maybe if he watches a game like DOWNS vs VALE this week
he might have a better idea.

bert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: quarter finals of the cup

Post by bert »

[/quote]

Have to agree bert, cant judge sundays game as the level of standard
in Div1, maybe if he watches a game like DOWNS vs VALE this week
he might have a better idea.[/quote]

cheers uncle cracker' i must say Pontians have a great side. But remember boys when coming to div. 1 its all about hard work and who wants to win the most.
played4ever

JP
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JP »

Cant compare Div 1 to the other lower divs like 2 or 3. Its a big step up and if you arent good enough then they will show you up.

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

Yep Bert and JP you are both right, it is all about hard work and some players in Div 3 dont need to do it but must if they want to play in div 1. And if you do make mistakes you will get punished.

viduka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by viduka »

GE is it true that Pontians are looking at going state league next year?

Judge
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Judge »

viduka wrote:GE is it true that Pontians are looking at going state league next year?
The Golden Eagle may not be a liberty to answer this question due to his involvement with the Pontian powerbrokers.....but apparently it is the worst kept secret in the in amateur football.....

Although Sunday's result against the Downs may have prompted a re-think... time will tell
Either way the club is "kicking goals" on and off the field and everything points to a big future for the Eagles 8)