SAASL Yearbook Team Photos

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

SAASL Yearbook Team Photos

Post by swannsong »

Someone asked if I could post these team photos....as they were in them ?

Modbury Vista - 1993 SAASL Sunday Division 7 Champions.
Click image for larger format !

Valley View - 1990 SAASL Sunday Division 5 Champions.
Click image for larger format !

Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Re: SAASL Yearbook Team Photos

Post by Missing Post Count »

What happened to Valley View?

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

who asked for the vista one?
couple of good players in that one...
ImageImage

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bodø Glimt wrote:What happened to Valley View?
Following their promotion to Division 4 for the 1994 season, both Valley View A's and Reserves finished bottom and were relegated to Division 5.
However, in 1995 the joined forces with Salisbury East (formerly Madison Park) who had finished bottom of Division 1 in 1994.
The new "amalgamation" was The Pines aand they played in the SAASL Sunday Division 2, and were based at Terama Street Gepps Cross under current SAASL State Team Coach (and former Juventus and SA State Team playe) Eric Norman.
The Pines Reserves were Division 2 Reserves Champions in 1996, 1997, 1998 & 1999. The Pines A's hovered around 3~4th in Division 2 for several seasons and in 2002 both Pines teams finished bottom of Division 2 and did not re-emerge for the 2003.
From 2003-2005 Valley View fielded a single team in Division 7 and played at Thomas Turner Reserve, Valley View.

Olympic (Vista) Bhoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Olympic (Vista) Bhoy »

Do you have the 1994 Vista teams and 1991 Valley View Team mate?

Valley View moved to the Pines in 1992 from Thomas Turner and we finished third behind Ingle Farm and Celtic. John Walker then pursuaded a lot of us to move over to Vista - unfortunately Valley View never recovered.

Mr X
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mr X »

swannsong wrote:
Bodø Glimt wrote:What happened to Valley View?
Following their promotion to Division 4 for the 1994 season, both Valley View A's and Reserves finished bottom and were relegated to Division 5.
However, in 1995 the joined forces with Salisbury East (formerly Madison Park) who had finished bottom of Division 1 in 1994.
The new "amalgamation" was The Pines aand they played in the SAASL Sunday Division 2, and were based at Terama Street Gepps Cross under current SAASL State Team Coach (and former Juventus and SA State Team playe) Eric Norman.
The Pines Reserves were Division 2 Reserves Champions in 1996, 1997, 1998 & 1999. The Pines A's hovered around 3~4th in Division 2 for several seasons and in 2002 both Pines teams finished bottom of Division 2 and did not re-emerge for the 2003.
From 2003-2005 Valley View fielded a single team in Division 7 and played at Thomas Turner Reserve, Valley View.

Good Work Swanny, I remember that year, a youthful Mr X was part of the Para Hills West side that won the league that year, picked up a nice trophy that year too from memory?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

DOC wrote:who asked for the vista one?
couple of good players in that one...
Is the mascot Scott Gannon ?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Mr X wrote: I remember that year, a youthful Mr X was part of the Para Hills West side that won the league that year, picked up a nice trophy that year too from memory?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Vista_Bhoy wrote:Do you have the 1994 Vista teams and 1991 Valley View Team mate?

Valley View moved to the Pines in 1992 from Thomas Turner and we finished third behind Ingle Farm and Celtic. John Walker then pursuaded a lot of us to move over to Vista - unfortunately Valley View never recovered.
There were no team photos for either Vista in 1994 or Valley View in 1991 in the SAASL Yearbooks.

Image Image

1991 Medal Winner, Hannibal Rossi is/was a sports journalist for the Advertiser

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

The North v South Challenge came up in conversation at the Champion of Champions game at Oakden over the weekend.
A youthful (16 y.o. Nathan Day in the Northern side next to his father Frankie!)
I remember turning up at West Beach to try out for the Southern side as I was living at Darlington at the time.
They weren't interested because I played for a Northern side (the Downs), probably more likely they didn't think I was good enough !

Olympic (Vista) Bhoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

swannsong wrote:
Vista_Bhoy wrote:Do you have the 1994 Vista teams and 1991 Valley View Team mate?

There were no team photos for either Vista in 1994 or Valley View in 1991 in the SAASL Yearbooks.

Image Image

1991 Medal Winner, Hannibal Rossi is/was a sports journalist for the Advertiser
Yeah, Rossi was a good player - I marked him a couple of times. That's when Villa played in the Parklands. They've had a few grounds in their time!

web
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by web »

ah yes Vista Bhoy i remember the good old Adelaide Celtic days. they where good times.
You are more than welcome to Bring It On.

HAIL HAIL

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

I remember the day we played Colo Colo in 1995 and one of the players mum took the nets down at half time because she felt the ref was cheating. She jumped in her car, with nets in the boot and was never seen again!
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

Olympic (Vista) Bhoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

web wrote:

ah yes Vista Bhoy i remember the good old Adelaide Celtic days. they where good times.
They were good times. I scored against Celtic and got pelters off the Celtic Fans - the banter was good in those days. No-one has a sense of humour these days.

Olympic (Vista) Bhoy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

marooned wrote:I remember the day we played Colo Colo in 1995 and one of the players mum took the nets down at half time because she felt the ref was cheating. She jumped in her car, with nets in the boot and was never seen again!
Hee hee. We always had trouble against that lot. :D

Ronnie#10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ronnie#10 »

Jesus Pwacker's just got shorter hair apart from that he doesn't look any different hay!
TEA TREE GULLY CITY 2007 DIV 2 RESERVES CHAMPIONS!

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

haha good call, how is the moe on gannon...
ImageImage

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

and he has hair, never seen that before...
ImageImage

pork belly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pork belly »

I spend many hours on this forum looking at the photos of all the people I played against around this period and it only seems like yesterday. Great to see Anton as I had some great times playing against Sals Inter. Any chance Swanny of putting the Gully photo in when they first won Div 1. Some great players in that side that I played with. Alan Roydhouse and Peter Szach to name a couple. Keep up the great history lesson/memories Swanny. :) :) :)

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

pork belly wrote:I spend many hours on this forum looking at the photos of all the people I played against around this period and it only seems like yesterday. Great to see Anton as I had some great times playing against Sals Inter. Any chance Swanny of putting the Gully photo in when they first won Div 1. Some great players in that side that I played with. Alan Roydhouse and Peter Szach to name a couple. Keep up the great history lesson/memories Swanny. :) :) :)
That was 1983, as an individual it was one of my most rewarding years winning the Downs Player of The Year and Players Choice. The Downs however, struggled but managed to avoid the drop to Division 3. Downs were relegated from Division 1 the year before (1982), and when we played Gully that season we beat you 2-3 away and lost 3-4 at home (against many of those players in Gully's 1983 team).
It was also Elizabeth Downs 21st year!
Chairman Ian Charman, Martyn Evans and the now infamous and youthful former MP Peter Duncan.

ImageImageImage

West Beach almost caught Gully with ex West End Medal (Federation) winner Terry Wetton and the diminutive Johnny Mason !

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

Neil Mathieson at Newton City was an absolute champion - think he won the Div 2 medal two years in a row. Also, Cos Cirocco captained our Reserves this year at the tender age of 45!

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

El Pibe D'Oro
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by El Pibe D'Oro »

Vic Shephard - what a legend of a bloke!

pork belly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pork belly »

Thas great work swanny (wish my memory was that good). My old man (Arthur Plunkett)is in the photo as well as me, he still comes to a few Gully home games as his grandson is playing in the As. Yes Vic Shepard is a ledgend

Ronnie#10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ronnie#10 »

Haha good points DOC, especially about the hair on Stu haha.

Scott was also the "mascot" in my first ever team photo at vista in 1998.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

i never got the scott gannon mascot in my time so far, although he was in the photo for the cup semi, does that count as a mascot too?
ImageImage

Ronnie#10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ronnie#10 »

DOC wrote:i never got the scott gannon mascot in my time so far, although he was in the photo for the cup semi, does that count as a mascot too?
Yeah that will count as a mascot spot I reckon. The first season I was there in 98 we just had individual photos taken and then he was on the final picture we got given.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Can anybody put any names to the faces in this Salisbury Inter inaugural team from 1966

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

swannsong wrote:Can anybody put any names to the faces in this Salisbury Inter inaugural team from 1966

Surely Anton's in that team isn't he :lol:

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

swannsong wrote:
pork belly wrote:I spend many hours on this forum looking at the photos of all the people I played against around this period and it only seems like yesterday. Great to see Anton as I had some great times playing against Sals Inter. Any chance Swanny of putting the Gully photo in when they first won Div 1. Some great players in that side that I played with. Alan Roydhouse and Peter Szach to name a couple. Keep up the great history lesson/memories Swanny. :) :) :)
That was 1983, as an individual it was one of my most rewarding years winning the Downs Player of The Year and Players Choice. The Downs however, struggled but managed to avoid the drop to Division 3. Downs were relegated from Division 1 the year before (1982), and when we played Gully that season we beat you 2-3 away and lost 3-4 at home (against many of those players in Gully's 1983 team).
Chairman Ian Charman, Martyn Evans and the now infamous and youthful former MP Peter Duncan.

Downs stuffed that up as the 21st was actually in 1982, as you count 1962 as 1-year!!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

blue moon wrote:
swannsong wrote:

Downs stuffed that up as the 21st was actually in 1982, as you count 1962 as 1-year!!
Not quite, Elizabeth Downs were formed after the close of the 1962 season and didn't put ateam on the park (Border Park Broadmeadows back then) until 1963. Some of the players might have been Les Andrews, Billy Ross, Charlie Tumbridge, Robert Goode.....?
Really, the Downs were founded in 1963, so the 1962 date is in error.

ImageImage
ImageImage

excerpt from Len Spriggs book "The History of the Elizabeth and Districts Junior Soccer Association Inc. 1963-1984