Greatest Football Moment

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Greatest Football Moment

Post by Jay Walking »

What is your greatest achievement or best day that you can recall you have played in.

Mine would be a couple of years ago when we played Modbury Vista away. The first team was top but if they lost and Easties won, they would win the league. 1-1 at half time and we went on to win the match 8-1. Alby with a second half hatrick.

I played in the B's the game before. We were top by a point or two and Vista were second. If Vista won, they won the league. Before the game they were playing Burning Ring of Fire in the changerooms, doing a big hooha while warming up. We just went about things as we always did, nice and casual with my little pep talk before the game. I think we were 3 up within 15 mintues. Just one of those games where everything went right for us. I didn' get much of the ball that game as I was in defence but I set up one of the goals. I'll never forget it and have to say that Vista were gracious in defeat. Felt for Spellow as that was meant to be his last game.

Anyone else. A cup win, a derby win, a game where you scored a hatrick hungover??

# 9
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Greatest Football Moment

Post by # 9 »

back in the day when i was playin inder 13's for munno para (v's angle vale) our keeper got injured so had to fill in, i saved 3 penalties. we went on to win the 2nd round cup match 1-0. one the best moments i guess.

Made in Australia
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Made in Australia »

Mine would be when our 'B' grade won the first championship for the club. Backed it up the following year too.
Image Image

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

Redbacks beating NAB in a cup match about 5 years ago went to extra time and just before the ref was about to whistle and send it to penalties some NAB numbnut decided to slap the ref who fought back and the game was abandoned and awarded to the Redbacks. Also played a great game against San Marco that went to ET and penalties with San Marco getting over the line - that game ended in friendlier circumstances.

By far the best moments though are when the kids I coach win!

Mr Football
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mr Football »

Jay Walking wrote:What is your greatest achievement or best day that you can recall you have played in.

Mine would be a couple of years ago when we played Modbury Vista away. The first team was top but if they lost and Easties won, they would win the league. 1-1 at half time and we went on to win the match 8-1. Alby with a second half hatrick.
And we still ended up with the best goals against record by 4 goals. 12 goals all season until the 8 in the last half :shock: . It was actually 1-0 at half time to vista, i will never forget that day for all the wrong reasons
DIVING:
Admition of defeat
Pure cheating
RUINS THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!!!

Lion Tamer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Lion Tamer »

Being the underdogs winning promotion from div 2 the previous year to go undefeated and win the 1st division with Macedonia United in 99. Only conceding 12 goals for the year was a highlight aswell. Losing the cup final to the Vale was the only dampner.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

OldRedback wrote:Redbacks beating NAB in a cup match about 5 years ago went to extra time and just before the ref was about to whistle and send it to penalties some NAB numbnut decided to slap the ref who fought back and the game was abandoned and awarded to the Redbacks. Also played a great game against San Marco that went to ET and penalties with San Marco getting over the line - that game ended in friendlier circumstances.

Why would it go to penalties if one team is winning?

pc81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pc81 »

Awesome topic and about time, ill stick with amatuer league highlights, probably 3-4 years ago, an undermanned vista went up against Royal Park, who i reckon were on top at that stage, ended up getting promoted, by vista won the home leg 4-3, then the game got called off due one of their spectators running on and starting an all in brawl, emotions ran high and a cracker of a win
You go on the p*ss all day, you've ballooned out like the Pillsbury Doughboy!
You could go to jail for this! What sort of system am I going to play then? Three across the middle and one in bloody Pentonville? *Mike Basset*

A.V.N.M
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by A.V.N.M »

pc wrote:Awesome topic and about time, ill stick with amatuer league highlights, probably 3-4 years ago, an undermanned vista went up against Royal Park, who i reckon were on top at that stage, ended up getting promoted, by vista won the home leg 4-3, then the game got called off due one of their spectators running on and starting an all in brawl, emotions ran high and a cracker of a win
Hey PC, I remember that game but do you remember in 2002 when we played Vista at Royal Parks ground, 2nd to last game of the year, we were 2 pts clear of you lads at the top, we ended up winning 2-1 to go 5pts clear with a game to go and effectively won the title that day. Highlights of the game have been on you tube for years. The game was tied at 1-1 for a while until a bicycle kick goal from a corner sealed it for the Royal Park Rampage!. Nice Goal :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIACoIJ1xU

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

Bodø Glimt wrote:
OldRedback wrote:Redbacks beating NAB in a cup match about 5 years ago went to extra time and just before the ref was about to whistle and send it to penalties some NAB numbnut decided to slap the ref who fought back and the game was abandoned and awarded to the Redbacks. Also played a great game against San Marco that went to ET and penalties with San Marco getting over the line - that game ended in friendlier circumstances.

Why would it go to penalties if one team is winning?
Have you read the whole post Bodo or would you still like it explained?

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Go on then, explain it :wink:

Mr Football
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mr Football »

King Eric Bloodaxe wrote:
pc wrote:Awesome topic and about time, ill stick with amatuer league highlights, probably 3-4 years ago, an undermanned vista went up against Royal Park, who i reckon were on top at that stage, ended up getting promoted, by vista won the home leg 4-3, then the game got called off due one of their spectators running on and starting an all in brawl, emotions ran high and a cracker of a win
Hey PC, I remember that game but do you remember in 2002 when we played Vista at Royal Parks ground, 2nd to last game of the year, we were 2 pts clear of you lads at the top, we ended up winning 2-1 to go 5pts clear with a game to go and effectively won the title that day. Highlights of the game have been on you tube for years. The game was tied at 1-1 for a while until a bicycle kick goal from a corner sealed it for the Royal Park Rampage!. Nice Goal :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNIACoIJ1xU
Nice highlights video! I'll never foget that game, my first real shot at a title dashed with a cracker of a goal. Did love it when i think it was 'justice' missed the retake of the penalty though :lol: guess he had the last laugh that day
DIVING:
Admition of defeat
Pure cheating
RUINS THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!!!

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Making my debut!

It's something I've always wanted to do, and at school I wasn't allowed to play soccer (I was a former state and division 1 basketballer and the school threatened me with suspension if I didn't play basketball in my senior years!!).
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Can the school actually do that?

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Bodø Glimt wrote:Can the school actually do that?
Who knows, but it scared me enough.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

topcorner
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by topcorner »

The greatest football moment i have experienced, was last year when i played for TTG in the cup final against the Vale. To play in the final at 18 was an awesome experience and was even better to score! The whole day was spectacular, great day for the supporters! Even though we lost, i thought we put up a good fight with such a young team!
No one likes us, We dont care!

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

Winning the Reserves Cup final in 2006 also. Elizabeth Downs Ressies only lost two games that year, a trial game to us and the Cup Final :D

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

With the Downs - every time I looked at the 1st Team lineup and my name was there !
Particularly the year we beat Elizabeth Vale 7-2 at Mofflin !
Division 2 Champions 1975 (small part)
Division 2 Champions 1977 (every game)
Division 2 Champions 1981 (every game)
Reserve Cup Winners 1982
Downs Player of the Year/Players Choice 1983
Division 2 Champions 1984 (all but 1 game)
Consolation Cup Winners 1992
Division 2 Runner-Up 1993
Dvision 2 Champions 1994 (with Noarlunga Lions - small part)

Worst moment - any time I looked at the 1st Team lineup and my name wasn't there !
And not winning a Division 1 Title with the Downs.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

robinfriday10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by robinfriday10 »

most exciting game - 1993 last game of the season was a catchup game at underdown park para hills east vs inter.to win the league east required a win of any size, inter needed to beat the east by a 2 goal margin to win the league, if inter won by 1 goal or it was a draw elizabeth vale would gain their first title.there were no other games on that day so a big crowd was on hand in driving rain. a goal to the east in the first half helped settle nerves and then with 15-20 to go saw mark chumbley equalize which brought the dancing vale crowd onto the pitch(at that stage they were up), then with 5-10 minutes to go kev booth settled the title from close range 2-1. then 2 weeks later we rubbed salt into the vales wound by beating them 3-1 in the cup to take the treble.my favourite para hills east moment
things happen for a reason

Aldo Serena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aldo Serena »

Funnily enough, one of the best games I have played in was season 2006 when we were relegated to Div 4. We lost the first 14 games straight, and played Payneham Postel at Marden. It was 1-1, and we scored the winner with about 5 mins to go. We celebrated like we won the championship! Was an awesome feeling, and then went on to beat TTG (who were 2nd), Munno Para and Polonia to finish 4-14 for the year.

MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 Division 3 Champions

De Voyeur
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by De Voyeur »

swannsong wrote:With the Downs - every time I looked at the 1st Team lineup and my name was there !
Reserve Cup Winners 1982

Worst moment - any time I looked at the 1st Team lineup and my name wasn't there !
That trumpet of yours is slightly out of tune Swannsong. :lol: Oh and by the way, what happened in 1976?

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

Bodø Glimt wrote:Go on then, explain it :wink:

If I was talking to you I'd make sure I spoke slowly. The game didn't go to penalties because the ref abandoned it and awarded it to the Redbacks.............clearer?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Farmer Joe wrote:
swannsong wrote:With the Downs - every time I looked at the 1st Team lineup and my name was there !
Reserve Cup Winners 1982

That trumpet of yours is slightly out of tune Swannsong. :lol: Oh and by the way, what happened in 1976?
I don't get to blow it much (the trumpet that is).
Couple of games in 1st's B/F in Reserves.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

OldRedback wrote:
Bodø Glimt wrote:Go on then, explain it :wink:

If I was talking to you I'd make sure I spoke slowly. The game didn't go to penalties because the ref abandoned it and awarded it to the Redbacks.............clearer?
I did actually work that out, but the way it was written suggested one team was leading at the time. In essence the team din't beat NAB but awarded the tie on a technicality :lol:

Fresh Football
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Fresh Football »

Well, the sea was angry that day, worlds were colliding...
No seriously, playing in many curtain raisers to the old NSL teams at a packed Hindmarsh and winning many junior championships & cups were all good....

BUT in recent times, Adelaide Wanderers switching from the Collegiate League to Div 2 Amateurs in 2006 and both A's & B's winning the league (B's undefeated) plus promotion in it's first year and being crowned the Divisional champs for 2006 as well.

Adelaide Wanderers were unlucky to miss last years title (on the last day), but are looking the goods this year again - a credit to everyone involved at the club!!
Adelaide Wanderers
2005 COLLEGIATE CUP CHAMPIONS
2006 CHAMPIONS Sat Div 2 A
2006 DIVISIONAL CHAMPIONS
2006 CHAMPIONS Sat Div 2 B
2008 CHAMPIONS Sat Div 1 A
2008 CHAMPIONS OF CHAMPIONS
2013 CHALLENGE CUP QUARTER FINALISTS
http://www.adelaidewanderers.com

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

my best memories
winning two reserve cup finals with Salisbury Inter- one against modbury jets and the other against cove ( also won the reserves league )

also watching Inter celebrate their 10th league title with Gerrry Petit as coach - and then for Bruno Caporella to repeat it a couple of years later and win them their 11th

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

coming out of retirement at the age of 43, and still be able to make some decent saves in goals.and to be able to walk the next day...., i must say being new to the club they made me feel very welcome

GO WANDERERS

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Meeting redmum at an Adel Utd game!
Ignore this signature

De Voyeur
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by De Voyeur »

I'll tell you mine come the 7th of September.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Scoring 48 goals in a federation season for modbury jets, taking out the league and doing it all without a coach!!!
HA'WAY THE LADS