Pontian Eagles ( 0 ) Elizabeth Downs ( 2 )..with pics

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Pontian Eagles ( 0 ) Elizabeth Downs ( 2 )..with pics

Post by swannsong »

A's - Pontian Eagles ( 2 ) Elizabeth Downs ( 0 )

A lacklustre performance from the Downs today as Pontians experience came to the fore.
The Downs didn't display their usual fight or fitness and mishit many simple passes.
Title number 3 may elude them this year unless they pick up the pace and other teams falter.
Pontians appreciated the small pitch and closed downs the Downs well.
Two excellent finishes from Pontians and 2 excellent saves from their keeper ensured they walked away with both points.

B's - Pontian Eagles ( 0 ) Elizabeth Downs ( 2 )

Downs Reserves first goal.

First goal for Pontians A;s.
Good clearance by the Downs.

Last edited by swannsong on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

cleveland
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Pontian Eagles v Elizabeth Downs

Post by cleveland »

poor result for the lads. hopefully the new young boys picked up from playford can inject a bit of run to the squad.
cleveland rocks!

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

well done pontians!

too much class not to be respected opposition.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

ikon wrote:well done pontians!

I don't think it was a matter of too much class from Pontians, it was a matter of too little spirit from the Downs.
I don't really understand the comment, no one said that the Pontian side wasn't respected
Some of the gamesmanship from Pontians "experienced" players took the shine off their performance in my eyes.
Having said that, it had little bearing on the result !
Downs are certainly missing Matty Blackwood and Luke Singlewood this season and missed Red Andrews today.
As well as missing Bert Fuda for half of the game today.
The team will get stronger and other teams should still be wary of the boys in maroon.

KEANO16
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KEANO16 »

Whats the news on Blackwood, spoke to him a few weeks ago and he was awaiting the results of a scan on his knee?

TheBucket
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by TheBucket »

Nice pics swannsong, what camera/lenses are you using? Love the shot of the keeper punching the ball.

De Voyeur
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by De Voyeur »

I've never heard you say anything negative about the Downs before Swansong. :shock:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Farmer Joe wrote:I've never heard you say anything negative about the Downs before Swannsong. :shock:
Not really negative, or a criticism, just an observation on the day.

De Voyeur
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by De Voyeur »

swannsong wrote:
Farmer Joe wrote:I've never heard you say anything negative about the Downs before Swannsong. :shock:
Sorry Swannsong. When I get to school tomorrow I'll put it on my Words I Need to Know List. :lol:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Farmer Joe wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Sorry Swannsong. When I get to school tomorrow I'll put it on my Words I Need to Know List. :lol:
Cheers, good win for Farm today (again), don't let it become a habit !
TheBucket wrote:Nice pics swannsong, what camera/lenses are you using? Love the shot of the keeper punching the ball.
Just a fairly old (2005 ?) Panasonic NV-GS250 3CCD Digital Video Recorder with a Leica Dicomat lens (10x optical zoom) that also does 3.1 MP stills.
Not very sophisticated, but has recently survived falling into a river !

The GREEN & GOLD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The GREEN & GOLD »

Very good result for Pontians who controlled the game from midfield through Karapetis and Spatharos. Blonde hair? full back did a great job for pontians as well. momentum changed a little in the second half when downs put themselves into second gear but pontians soaked it up and came out with a well earned result. Good game to watch from a neutral supporter. Very healthy crowd from both supporters, that would put all super league clubs to shame

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

The Downs were crap end of story and I went against my word and watched them sober. Lost Bert 10 mins in and that was the end of the Downs. Pontians goalie made a few decent saves which pumped them up.The pitch wasnt to flash but they both have to play on it. Pontians reserve side are a joke though, every tackle studs up and the trick was to try and get on the board before the ref abandoned the game due to simmering tensions. Pontians no 4 thought he would stand up and crunch edgy only to be left in a heap on the ground and never to return. Their club ref was not that flash but he does a job and no one can deny the guy the effort.Downs need to improve for the the big one against Ingle farm.I will not be watching this one sober as I would rather get all my teeth pulled. Third league title looks very shaky but who knows this may be the kick in the muscat the Downs needs. Bring on all you biff clubs who think they can match it with the Mighty Downs a wounded beast can be dangerous but they can also be put down if you have the balls and the class. Cu behind the goals you Farmer Biffs. How appropriate we are playing the Farmers on Mothers Day when they have a Team of them.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

buddhafatguts
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by buddhafatguts »

Legga, you freak. Are you sober now? What a stupid thing to say? Farm are going alright for a team of mothers. 4 from 4 is not a bad record.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Fair call buddha farm are on fire atm and it would take one hell of a team to beat them!!! from what i heard the downs are struggling to get some pride back in the shirt, this comes with winning two in a row gotta ask yourself if you changed the team colour tomoro how many first team players would care?? maroons loosing the plot?? i doubt it. can you question the pride?? yes!! can anyone be blamed?? only the 11 men on the park who last year were the best in the business they have to prove that they still are.
HA'WAY THE LADS

chunky-monkey
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chunky-monkey »

Downs need to do alot by the sounds of things if they are to even challenge the Farm. In great form 4 from 4 and definitly the favourites going into the game. Would b a shame for the Downs to be beaten by a team of "Mothers" :lol:

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

Pontians played their best game of the year and deservedly got the three points. BOTH teams had a player to com off after about 20 minutes into the first half with Fuda for the Downs and Peter (Dirk Kuyt) for the Pontians, it must be said that the Downs where a different team with Fuda off. Pontians had already scored when the changes had happened and Pontians did create more chance and shoould of had more goals to half time. Pontians keeper diod make a good save to keep thing level at the break. Second half Pontians scored early and again had chances to add to their lead and missed them. Downs had a chance saved to get them back in the game but it wasnt to be as this time the Pontians held a 2-0 lead to wim the game, unlike against LION,

Fantastic to see all the Downs supporters follow their team even away from home. Must be good to play on a team that has so much support. Creadit to the Pontian player that didnt respond to the comments from the side as Im sure the Downs crowd would of wanted the banter back!

I thought the Downs wernt as aggressive today and their much talked about strikers Taylor and Aggers where held well. I think the Pontians have turned the corner and I know the Downs will bounce back. Some great photos their too.

supporter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by supporter »

swannsong wrote:
ikon wrote:well done pontians!

I don't think it was a matter of too much class from Pontians, it was a matter of too little spirit from the Downs.
I don't really understand the comment, no one said that the Pontian side wasn't respected
Some of the gamesmanship from Pontians "experienced" players took the shine off their performance in my eyes.
Having said that, it had little bearing on the result !
Downs are certainly missing Matty Blackwood and Luke Singlewood this season
and missed Red Andrews today.
As well as missing Bert Fuda for half of the game today.
The team will get stronger and other teams should still be wary of the boys in maroon.
I think Luke Singlewood is on fire at the moment. I didnt see him this week, but apparently was very good. I think he was just about BOG against Seaford last week.

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by nachoman »

hey golden eagle how are theo and billy k l playing ?

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

nachoman wrote:hey golden eagle how are theo and billy k l playing ?
Well Theo is still scoring goals and Billy is still doing nutmegs!!! Bill is very fit and can run out a game his passes and dribbling skills are all still there. He could still play at least Premier league no probs. Theo still moves around up front and causes problems. Both have come back this week after Hamstring injuries. We had our best team on the park for the first time this week and the result shows that. With 3 players missing we can only continue to get better. Can only hope for a quick outcome from the SAASL for the Parafield/Florina game as we play Para this weekend.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Golden EAGLE wrote:Pontians played their best game of the year and deservedly got the three points. BOTH teams had a player to com off after about 20 minutes into the first half with Fuda for the Downs and Peter (Dirk Kuyt) for the Pontians, it must be said that the Downs where a different team with Fuda off. Pontians had already scored when the changes had happened and Pontians did create more chance and shoould of had more goals to half time. Pontians keeper diod make a good save to keep thing level at the break. Second half Pontians scored early and again had chances to add to their lead and missed them. Downs had a chance saved to get them back in the game but it wasnt to be as this time the Pontians held a 2-0 lead to wim the game, unlike against LION,

Fantastic to see all the Downs supporters follow their team even away from home. Must be good to play on a team that has so much support. Creadit to the Pontian player that didnt respond to the comments from the side as Im sure the Downs crowd would of wanted the banter back!

I thought the Downs wernt as aggressive today and their much talked about strikers Taylor and Aggers where held well. I think the Pontians have turned the corner and I know the Downs will bounce back. Some great photos their too.
Iwas sitting with my 2 sons on the Pontian supporters side of the pitch and I had trouble explaining to my 6 year old son why the scorer of Pontians 1st goal was making certain guestures toward the Downs supporters. I said he was grabbbing and pointing to his crotch region because he might be wanting to go for a leak !

BLACK KNIGHT
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by BLACK KNIGHT »

John Spatharos especially in the first half had too much class for the Downs in the midfield. The Downs basically had to foul him each time he touched the ball. Overall the Downs didnt look like winning it and it was a great performance by the Pontians. For their first win in the big league.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

legga wrote:The Downs were crap end of story and I went against my word and watched them sober. Lost Bert 10 mins in and that was the end of the Downs. Pontians goalie made a few decent saves which pumped them up.The pitch wasnt to flash but they both have to play on it. Pontians reserve side are a joke though, every tackle studs up and the trick was to try and get on the board before the ref abandoned the game due to simmering tensions. Pontians no 4 thought he would stand up and crunch edgy only to be left in a heap on the ground and never to return. Their club ref was not that flash but he does a job and no one can deny the guy the effort.Downs need to improve for the the big one against Ingle farm.I will not be watching this one sober as I would rather get all my teeth pulled. Third league title looks very shaky but who knows this may be the kick in the muscat the Downs needs. Bring on all you biff clubs who think they can match it with the Mighty Downs a wounded beast can be dangerous but they can also be put down if you have the balls and the class. Cu behind the goals you Farmer Biffs. How appropriate we are playing the Farmers on Mothers Day when they have a Team of them.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good to see your back in fine form Legga. I remember reading that you wouldn't watch a game sober this year. You getting pissed seems to be the Downs lucky charm.

Looking forward to the games next weekend. The Reserves game could be one of the games of the season. After the last 4 times we have played each other, all bar one game has been very close. Edgy is a tough man to stop.

By the way Legga, when your at the bar next week on Sunday, mine is a Scotch and Cola.

A Mature League
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by A Mature League »

BLACK KNIGHT wrote:John Spatharos especially in the first half had too much class for the Downs in the midfield. The Downs basically had to foul him each time he touched the ball. Overall the Downs didnt look like winning it and it was a great performance by the Pontians. For their first win in the big league.
Does that include all the times he was grabbing the Downs players shirts and pulling them on top of him ?
Image Image
" I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." - Tom Waits

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

swannsong wrote:
Golden EAGLE wrote:Pontians played their best game of the year and deservedly got the three points. BOTH teams had a player to com off after about 20 minutes into the first half with Fuda for the Downs and Peter (Dirk Kuyt) for the Pontians, it must be said that the Downs where a different team with Fuda off. Pontians had already scored when the changes had happened and Pontians did create more chance and shoould of had more goals to half time. Pontians keeper diod make a good save to keep thing level at the break. Second half Pontians scored early and again had chances to add to their lead and missed them. Downs had a chance saved to get them back in the game but it wasnt to be as this time the Pontians held a 2-0 lead to wim the game, unlike against LION,

Iwas sitting with my 2 sons on the Pontian supporters side of the pitch and I had trouble explaining to my 6 year old son why the scorer of Pontians 1st goal was making certain guestures toward the Downs supporters. I said he was grabbbing and pointing to his crotch region because he might be wanting to go for a leak !
I think your explaination was spot on. Good to see you did the right thing as sat on the side that was family friendly and non abusive!! :wink: :wink:

Only joking the Downs supporters, and there were about 200 of them, were very quite on the weekend and must mention that they didnt leave the mess behind like the Vale did.

Golden EAGLE
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Golden EAGLE »

A Mature League wrote:
BLACK KNIGHT wrote:John Spatharos especially in the first half had too much class for the Downs in the midfield. The Downs basically had to foul him each time he touched the ball. Overall the Downs didnt look like winning it and it was a great performance by the Pontians. For their first win in the big league.
Does that include all the times he was grabbing the Downs players shirts and pulling them on top of him ?
Spatharos played a blinder and was my pick for BOG.

As for "grabbing the Downs players shirts and pulling them on top of him" he was the smallest player on the park and going on by what your are suggesting he must be still under big reeves's body!!!

Tim C
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Tim C »

Golden EAGLE wrote:
swannsong wrote:

I think your explaination was spot on. Good to see you did the right thing as sat on the side that was family friendly and non abusive!! :wink: :wink:

Only joking the Downs supporters, and there were about 200 of them, were very quite on the weekend and must mention that they didnt leave the mess behind like the Vale did.[/quote]

are you still whinging about that mess, I bet you made a bit from the cans. Stop crying and get on with your season now you've had a good win !!
At the end of it all there will still be Football !!
It wasn't Bad but its Far from Good !

msbetterthanyou
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by msbetterthanyou »

imanoutlaw wrote:Fair call buddha farm are on fire atm and it would take one hell of a team to beat them!!! from what i heard the downs are struggling to get some pride back in the shirt, this comes with winning two in a row gotta ask yourself if you changed the team colour tomoro how many first team players would care?? maroons loosing the plot?? i doubt it. can you question the pride?? yes!! can anyone be blamed?? only the 11 men on the park who last year were the best in the business they have to prove that they still are.
There are plenty of the first team squad that would care, some on the pitch, some on the bench and some not selected (for one reason or none at all). i would say the pride is lacking for some... and for others - no. think there are plenty of young lads who more than deserve their chance in the squad and to bring that pride back!!
I'm a Chemist, I have Solutions.

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

drove past there yesterday was a good crowd

sometalent
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by sometalent »

Can anyone say how young Steve Butler and Beau Singlewood went if they played?

KEANO16
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by KEANO16 »

Steve Butler came off the bench with bout 15-20 mins to go, didint do much but had one good shot saved by Pontians keeper, Beau didnt play A's, came off bench for B's!