First team has a bye, players drop to lower div

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

First team has a bye, players drop to lower div

Post by limozeen »

Ok this is a question.

Lets say a club has 3 teams. For arguments sake lets say they are in Div 1, Div 3 and Div 4.

If the team in Div 1 has a bye, can the club load their lower Div teams with Div 1 players for that game to get an easy win for the lower Div team.

I know this happens, but I'm curious to know if it's supposed to happen.

This isn't an As and Bs scenario, it's more where a club has teams in different divisions.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

Ringmaster
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Ringmaster »

its allowed there is no problem, i play first team football in div 2 and when the team has a bye from being knocked out of the cup i play in the c team who are in dive 9. so i think it is allowed

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

legally completely allowed, morally though it's completely wrong.

Jay Walking
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Jay Walking »

It is allowed. Only in cup games can a player not be eligble if the player has played with the higher ranked team.

We had one first team player who needed the run due to having serveral weeks off injuried and a reserves team player who was cup tied, play in our C team today.

finderskeeper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by finderskeeper »

I guess stacking your C-Team with !st. Team regulars when the 1st Team has a bye points to a pretty desperate Club. Also, if I was a C-Team regular who lost his place I'd be pretty pissed off!
Ony the other hand it can be used to keep !st Teamers match fit.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

finderskeeper wrote:I guess stacking your C-Team with !st. Team regulars when the 1st Team has a bye points to a pretty desperate Club. Also, if I was a C-Team regular who lost his place I'd be pretty pissed off!
Ony the other hand it can be used to keep !st Teamers match fit.
Regardless of the reason, I think if I were a C team regular who lost his place I'd be pretty pissed off too.

marooned
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by marooned »

many moons ago i was playin for mod vista over 35s and the game was evenly matched with 20 mins to go. on came a young fit Brad Donavan and changed the game completly. were we robbed ? Not at the time ,but on reflection now, yes we were victims of a ring in. What can you do?
http://www.edsc.com.au

"It's not how good you are, but how bad you want it"

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

I asked the question because I totally agree that in the spirit of the sport it is wrong.

Maybe one or 2 players dropping down would be ok but when half the team comes down it's not only bad for the players who get knocked out of their usual starting spot, but makes a mockery of the lower league.

the team I follow only have 1 team and have been on the receiving end of this twice this year. Winnable games suddenly become unwinnable because you are playing players from the upper leagues.
Go Reds

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

Played in a few games myself where we were fighting for the league in the ressies and what do you know we ended up facing the majority of their first team. Not much you can do as it is totally legal, unsporting and shows a side not confident enough in there ressies to get the job done. As a ressie player if you played all year and then suddenly you were dropped for a vital game you get mighty pissed. Maybe their players should of had the balls to say no way we will do it on our own merits. Different if they are coming back from injuries etc.
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

Lion Tamer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Lion Tamer »

Heres the same question with a twist.....................

A grade player is suspended for a game.

A Grade has a bye, but C grade has a catch up game.

why cant he serve his suspension in the C grade game and play in the A's the following week??

Shouldnt all players be eligible to play in all games played by their club??

I apologise if this makes no sense at all, but it happened at our club this year. The Answer from the league was that the player could not serve his suspension in the C grade " official" game.

Mr Football
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mr Football »

Lion Tamer wrote:Heres the same question with a twist.....................

why cant he serve his suspension in the C grade game and play in the A's the following week??

I apologise if this makes no sense at all, but it happened at our club this year. The Answer from the league was that the player could not serve his suspension in the C grade " official" game.
Thats a fair point if you can play in lower div ie c team why can't you serve you suspension through them, who is the league to say you can play for them when there is no a game but you can't serve your suspension through them. How do they know that you hadn't already decided to play for c team before you got your suspension
DIVING:
Admition of defeat
Pure cheating
RUINS THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!!!

Lion Tamer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Lion Tamer »

Mr Football wrote:

Thats a fair point if you can play in lower div ie c team why can't you serve you suspension through them, who is the league to say you can play for them when there is no a game but you can't serve your suspension through them. How do they know that you hadn't already decided to play for c team before you got your suspension
Exactly! Can't have your cake and eat it too... Or something like that?????

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Now that's a cracker of a question. A can of worms in that one.
Go Reds

MONTGOMERY SPLIFT
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by MONTGOMERY SPLIFT »

you make a good point lion tamer,but i dont know of any leagues that have a bye so this situation would not happen. if you are out of the cup and your c's are playing then thats a curly one. maybe the league have a rule that if you get sent off in the a's then you must miss your clubs next a fixture??? :?

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

That happened when I was in Brisbane. Frank Farina was suspended for one match so they found a loophole where he could serve his suspension for one of the local sides. I don't recall the full details, but it was like they transferred him for one week to serve a suspension.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

boots wrote:you make a good point lion tamer,but i dont know of any leagues that have a bye so this situation would not happen. if you are out of the cup and your c's are playing then thats a curly one. maybe the league have a rule that if you get sent off in the a's then you must miss your clubs next a fixture??? :?
Personally I think if you get sent off in the league the suspension should be for the same tournament, but I've seen players be inilegible for a cup game after been sent off the previous week.

nico
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by nico »

There is a clause in the SAASL rules regarding reserves catch up games, I'm not exactly sure how it goes, but the gist is that if you have played 80% of the season in the first team you are ineligible to play in the reserves.

As for regular season games, don't know if there is anything stopping you.