Referees

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Referees

Post by swannsong »

Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Referees

Post by penalty »

Recruiting is not the solution. The big problem is retention of referees. That is due to lack of safety and respect of referees by club and league.
To solve some of the issues the league needs to.
1/ Get tough with clubs who don't comply to match day regulations. Sure all teams record stewards names on team sheets but they don't carry out their duties. Start deducting pints and you see how quick clubs start complying.
2/ The league needs to enforce all clubs to provide adequate facilities for referees. If they can't provide these facilities they should not be allowed to be in the league.
3/ There needs to be harsher penalties of breaches by clubs on referees.
4/ There needs to be a referees representative on the discipline committee.
5/ the league needs to develope a "RESPECT" programme.
6/ There should be a referees representative on the management of the league.

FINALLY there needs to be a big change in people running the league. They are well past their time.

legga
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by legga »

penalty wrote:Recruiting is not the solution. The big problem is retention of referees. That is due to lack of safety and respect of referees by club and league.
1/ Get tough with clubs who don't comply to match day regulations. Sure all teams record stewards names on team sheets but they don't carry out their duties. Start deducting pints and you see how quick clubs start complying.
2/ The league needs to enforce all clubs to provide adequate facilities for referees. If they can't provide these facilities they should not be allowed to be in the league.

FINALLY there needs to be a big change in people running the league. They are well past their time.
Why would we deduct pints I definitely won't show up....How many we talking, what if I drink cans....
There is no I in team, but there is a u in suck...

dj_no.1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by dj_no.1 »

need to pay more, cabernet job, the moneys needs to outweigh the negatives of the job

Penalty Rates
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Penalty Rates »

legga wrote:Why would we deduct pints I definitely won't show up....How many we talking, what if I drink cans....
Beat me too it. :lol:
I love bank holidays

HFC
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by HFC »

penalty wrote:Recruiting is not the solution. The big problem is retention of referees. That is due to lack of safety and respect of referees by club and league.

'Adequate facilities for a referee' - I dont think any referee goes to a ground expecting their own change room, toilet, and shower - you want a personal trainer to? A lot of clubs dont have adequate facilities for players let alone the ref's. If you dont like the amateur conditions of the amateur league go referee the federation clubs!

Statler and Waldorf
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Statler and Waldorf »

Nice response!
I bet you're super friendly and respectful to the officials too.
:clown:
Whats wrong with you?
Its either indigestion or this forum, and I hope its indigestion
Why?
Because at least I know that will get better in a little while

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

A referee in England is paid half of what a referee in Australia is paid at our level.

The issue is not the money.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

legga wrote:

Why would we deduct pints I definitely won't show up....How many we talking, what if I drink cans....
Then you will be forced to drink your cans with a hot pink stubbie holder with a straw :shock:
HA'WAY THE LADS

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

HFC wrote:'Adequate facilities for a referee' - I dont think any referee goes to a ground expecting their own change room, toilet, and shower - you want a personal trainer to? A lot of clubs dont have adequate facilities for players let alone the ref's. If you dont like the amateur conditions of the amateur league go referee the federation clubs!
I think you will find that was referring to safety and support, not physical facilities. I know that most Sunday division 1 clubs and most Division 2 clubs have the physical facilities (even if it's a quiet corner in their clubroom) for a ref to prepare pre game and have a seat post game. This is more about having the facility to ensure safety, with ground marshalls, decent linesman, club officials present.

No matter how bad you think a referees game has been, Clubs should support the referee by respecting the fact that he/she is a human being first and foremost. The fact that any referee has been hit or made to feel unsafe is where your problem lies, I know I wouldn't want to do it because of what I have seen.

Perhaps clubs need to take a bit of responsibility for their players, supporters and officials. Then the league doesn't have to step in and deduct points, or send fines etc.
HA'WAY THE LADS

HFC
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by HFC »

Outlaw 2.0 wrote:
HFC wrote:'Adequate facilities for a referee' - I dont think any referee goes to a ground expecting their own change room, toilet, and shower - you want a personal trainer to? A lot of clubs dont have adequate facilities for players let alone the ref's. If you dont like the amateur conditions of the amateur league go referee the federation clubs!
I think you will find that was referring to safety and support, not physical facilities. I know that most Sunday division 1 clubs and most Division 2 clubs have the physical facilities (even if it's a quiet corner in their clubroom) for a ref to prepare pre game and have a seat post game. This is more about having the facility to ensure safety, with ground marshalls, decent linesman, club officials present.

No matter how bad you think a referees game has been, Clubs should support the referee by respecting the fact that he/she is a human being first and foremost. The fact that any referee has been hit or made to feel unsafe is where your problem lies, I know I wouldn't want to do it because of what I have seen.

Perhaps clubs need to take a bit of responsibility for their players, supporters and officials. Then the league doesn't have to step in and deduct points, or send fines etc.
I agree 100% Outlaw, thats also why I didnt comment on any other points! If thats what he meant, it was covered in those other points!

Tempers get heated on the field, whether its against opposition or the referees - thats where it should remain. I think things are getting better slowly, reputations of clubs are better, however there still remains individuals with in these clubs that will tend to spoil it for the rest. Reputations only change in time as the game evolves - this goes for clubs and referees - out with the old and in with the new!

penalty
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by penalty »

Yes I was referring to safety and support, not physical facilities. Nothing worse than finishing the game and having no area away from players, coaches , club officials and spectators to do your paperwork without them harassing you.
As for finning or deducting points from clubs, that is for clubs who persistently fail to comply with competition rules in regards to providing a safe environment for referees, players, coaches, club officials and spectators.
Referees after every game complete an online match report in relation to ground condition/safety, and compliance of club marshals/stewards and it is amazing how many clubs who continuously don't comply. The league gets notified and until now action is taken by the league.

I myself had a big interest in this issue as I spent a couple of nights in hospital after being attacked by spectators, and finally decided to quit refereeing due to the leagues failure to implement their competition rules in providing a safe environment.

This is another reason why I don't encourage anyone in becoming a referee.

Mr Boombastic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr Boombastic »

SAASL need to be more harsh with penalties to those clubs and players that cause problems with referees, and they need to be consistent with those penalties.
I did referee a few games in 2011 but found the abuse that I received, mainly through certain ethnic clubs, was disgusting and the threats were not worth a few dollars and a cold beer at the end. I did report the matters to SAASL but nothing happened, showing that they don't give a shisten about club referees.
NOTHING SOFT COMES OUT OF ELIZABETH

PLAYFORD CITY PATRIOTS FC The pride of Elizabeth