League Tables|Fixtures|Match Results|Statistics|Club Information
Playford City Patriots
Playford.jpg
League: State League
Homepage: http://www.playfordpatriots.com.au/
Description: Playford City Soccer & Social Club

PO Box 16 Elizabeth SA 5112

Phone: 08-82554009
Fax: -

Club Colours: Home - White shirts, Maroon shorts & Maroon socks
Away - Sky blue shirts, White shorts & White socks

Australian Representatives:
-

Club Honours:
Federation Cup Winners: 2001
2nd Division Champions: 1970, 1974, 1991 & 2004
State League Final Series Winners: 1997 & 2004
Bailetti Cup Winners: 1976, 1984 & 1992
U/19 Premier League Champions: 2002

History: Source - History of Soccer in South Australia written by Denis Harlow.

Founded in 1956

The inaugural meeting of the club was on the 16th May 1956 in a garage at the rear of a green-grocery store owned by Mr Britain on Goodmand Road Elizabeth South.

From the twenty people who attended the meeting a committee was electing consisting of President J. Downing, Secretary M.Dootson, Treasurer T.Withinham and committee members Heath, Taylor, Sanderson and Wildash.

The name of the club was established as Elizabeth United Soccer Club and the first official game was a friendly against an RAF Edinburgh Select team. The game was played on the 16th of March 1957 at the Judd Road Reserve Elizabeth. The RAF team won the game 5-0.

In 1957 there were two rival clubs, Elizabeth United and the Northern Nomads competing in the SASFA �Reserve B� Division. This situation persisted into 1958 with the �Nomads� playing the season in Second division, Elizabeth United being consigned to the shadowy world of the Metropolitan (or third) Division. During 1958 a combination of political pressure and common sense saw the amalgamation of the two clubs and the creation of �Elizabeth Town� which entered the second division in 1959.

Initially the Northern Nomads were playing their home games at Ridley Reserve East and Elizabeth United were playing at Ridley Reserve West. In 1960 the club moved to its now famous and formidable ground - Ramsay Park Elizabeth named after Alec Ramsay the Manager of the SA Housing Trust.

In 1964 the club had a name change to Elizabeth City in conjunction with Elizabeth being declared a city. At the end of 1966 the club absorbed the old Enfield Club and gained entry into First Division in 1967.

Relegated in 1969, the club won its first Div. 2 Championship in 1970, repeated the exercise in 1974 and remained in First Division until 1986. Despite a brief revival in 1991 Elizabeth remained in Second Division until 1997 when it won its way into the Premier League.

In 1998 and 1999 financial pressures were building up behind the scenes this led to a crisis in 2000 when the Club management was forced to call in an administrator. At the end of 2000, local business people Rocco and Fiona Varacalli stepped in and purchased the Elizabeth City assets, settled the debts, and re-launched the club as Playford City.

Playford won the Federation Cup in 2001 but was relegated to the State League in 2003. The club immediately won both the league and the finals series in 2004 and rejoined the Premier League.
Home Stadium: Ramsay Park

Return to Clubs Listing

POLLS
Sorry, But you need to be logged in to View or Vote in the Polls.